  • CRT Monitors
  • Home Theatre
Last response: in Home Theatre
February 8, 2005 8:25:43 PM

What has a better picture, a plasma with EDTV or a flat screen CRT with
HDTV?

Thanks

More about : plasma edtv hdtv tube

February 8, 2005 11:43:00 PM

How long is a piece of string? What a dumb-ass question!
<csw621@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> What has a better picture, a plasma with EDTV or a flat screen CRT with
> HDTV?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:09:39 AM

csw621@earthlink.net wrote:
> What has a better picture, a plasma with EDTV or a flat screen CRT with
> HDTV?
>
> Thanks

Depends on the plasma ED, the CRT, and your viewing distance. The best
34" widescreen CRTs - namely the XBR Sony - are very good and present an
excellent picture. But they top out at 34" widescreen and are massive.
The 42" ED Panasonic is the best of the EDs, has an excellent picture
with near CRT black levels, displays all HD signals, and has a much
bigger picture but is ED in resolution. At a viewing distance of 8 to 10
feet, there is a difference in visual resolution of a 34" HD vs 42" ED
set, but is not that huge. Do a search for ED vs HD on avsforum.com if
you want to read opinions from both sides.

Personally I would with the 42" ED Panasonic, especially if you can
wait for the new TH-42PD50U model scheduled to be released in March. Or
get the commercial 42" HD Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY which is down to $3K
from on-line retailers, if that works for you.

Alan F
Related resources
February 9, 2005 1:09:40 AM

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 22:09:39 -0500, Alan Figgatt
<afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote:

>csw621@earthlink.net wrote:
>> What has a better picture, a plasma with EDTV or a flat screen CRT with
>> HDTV?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Depends on the plasma ED, the CRT, and your viewing distance. The best
>34" widescreen CRTs - namely the XBR Sony - are very good and present an
>excellent picture. But they top out at 34" widescreen and are massive.
>The 42" ED Panasonic is the best of the EDs, has an excellent picture
>with near CRT black levels, displays all HD signals, and has a much
>bigger picture but is ED in resolution. At a viewing distance of 8 to 10
>feet, there is a difference in visual resolution of a 34" HD vs 42" ED
>set, but is not that huge. Do a search for ED vs HD on avsforum.com if
>you want to read opinions from both sides.
>
> Personally I would with the 42" ED Panasonic, especially if you can
>wait for the new TH-42PD50U model scheduled to be released in March. Or
>get the commercial 42" HD Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY which is down to $3K
>from on-line retailers, if that works for you.
>
> Alan F

The CRT sets have problems with geometry. The Plasma sets have
inherent good geometry and problems in other areas.

I'm thinking either sony crt 34XS955 or the Pany's that Alan
mentioned.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 4:35:33 AM

csw621@earthlink.net wrote in news:1107912343.160561.136610
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> What has a better picture, a plasma with EDTV or a flat screen CRT with
> HDTV?
>
> Thanks

Flat screen with HDTV
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 11:19:49 AM

Thanks for all the help. Except for that thing about the srting. I
don't know what that was about. Anyway, the choice is between the Sony
KV30HS420, and the Zenith P42W46X. Does that change anything?
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 12:07:58 PM

csw621@earthlink.net wrote:
> What has a better picture, a plasma with EDTV or a flat screen CRT with
> HDTV?
>
> Thanks

The plasma EDTV will only display 480p resolution. The flat screen
CRT HDTV will do 1080i. So the CRT will have better resolution. As
for "better picturE" it all depends on whether you care about not
getting true HDTV with the plasma.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would buy an outrageously
expensive EDTV. Seems like a waste.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 2:38:40 PM

csw621@earthlink.net wrote:

> Thanks for all the help. Except for that thing about the srting. I
> don't know what that was about. Anyway, the choice is between the Sony
> KV30HS420, and the Zenith P42W46X. Does that change anything?

The Zenith is a rebadged LG as LG owns the Zenith brand name in the
US. LG has measurably improved their plasmas with the new models -
introduced in the last 6 months or less - so if it a new model, it may
be ok. The earlier Zenith plasmas were not very good picture wise (ok,
lousy) for black labels and displaying SD. Don't know about the P42W46X
models. My personal recommendation for plasmas is to go with the better
brand names - namely Panasonic or Pioneer or even Sony - if you can
handle the cost or wait for price cuts & sales.

Alan F
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 6:52:53 PM

"Michael J. Sherman" <msherman@dsbox.com> wrote in message

> Personally, I don't know why anyone would buy an outrageously expensive
> EDTV. Seems like a waste.

Why is it is waste, if what they want is a large-ish picture, flat/compact
television that looks great no matter what you show on it (regular TV,
widescreen DVD/ED/SD, HD)? Sure, if you stand four feet in front of one and
compare it side-by-side with a true HD model, you'll notice it doesn't
display such fine detail, but other than that, what's not to like?
Especially with the thousands of $$ in price savings compared to comparble
HD models.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 7:16:10 PM

Ski wrote:
> csw621@earthlink.net wrote in news:1107912343.160561.136610
> @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>
> > What has a better picture, a plasma with EDTV or a flat screen CRT
with
> > HDTV?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> Flat screen with HDTV

Keep in mind how heavy the crts are. Probably the biggest factor is
how far away you will be sitting. At 10 ft a 42" Ed plasma will be
great. At 6 ft a smaller CRT or 37" HD plamsa may be a better choice.
Go to the store and view the sets at your seating distance.

JCPZero
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 10:17:31 AM

jcpzero@yahoo.com wrote:
> Ski wrote:
>
>>csw621@earthlink.net wrote in news:1107912343.160561.136610
>>@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>>

>>>What has a better picture, a plasma with EDTV or a flat screen CRT
>
> with
>
>>>HDTV?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>

>>Flat screen with HDTV
>

> Keep in mind how heavy the crts are.

Why? Very few people move their TVs on a regular basis.

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 12:01:18 PM

Matthew L. Martin wrote:

>> Keep in mind how heavy the crts are.
>

> Why? Very few people move their TVs on a regular basis.

It is moving it at all that is the problem. And if you need to get
behind your 200+ lb TV to re-wire cables or for dusting, that could give
one a hernia. Sony dropped their 40" 4:3 CRT TV from their product line
this year, I suspect the higher end Japanese brands will be dropping the
36" 4:3 CRTs from their product line before long and leaving the really
big sets to the cheaper off-brand makes. The open question is how long
will the 34" 16:9 CRT be offered by the mainstream brands - Sony,
Toshiba, etc? My guess is no more than another 3-4 years.

Alan F
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 12:15:31 PM

Alan Figgatt wrote:
> Matthew L. Martin wrote:
>

>>> Keep in mind how heavy the crts are.
>>

>> Why? Very few people move their TVs on a regular basis.
>

> It is moving it at all that is the problem. And if you need to get
> behind your 200+ lb TV to re-wire cables or for dusting, that could give
> one a hernia. Sony dropped their 40" 4:3 CRT TV from their product line
> this year, I suspect the higher end Japanese brands will be dropping the
> 36" 4:3 CRTs from their product line before long and leaving the really
> big sets to the cheaper off-brand makes. The open question is how long
> will the 34" 16:9 CRT be offered by the mainstream brands - Sony,
> Toshiba, etc? My guess is no more than another 3-4 years.

So you are suggesting that people ignore direct view CRTs just because
they are heavy and that the major brands might stop making them in the
future? The fact that they can provide the best available image has to
be outweighed by the argument that they need to be moved for dusting? I
find that hilarious. I don't think there are more than a handful of
people who do dust behind there TVs that don't have a mobile stand.

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 5:41:17 PM

CRT HD are the best.

But please, if you buy one, don't buy the KV30HS420, buy at least the
KD-30XS955 or better yet, the 34-XBR960 which is the best and biggest HD CRT
TV set available now.

Jean-Pierre Thibaudeau

<csw621@earthlink.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
1107912343.160561.136610@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> What has a better picture, a plasma with EDTV or a flat screen CRT with
> HDTV?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 7:55:55 PM

I have seen people show me their "space saving" flat panel TV, which costs 3
times what a CRT set costs, has an inferior picture, and is setting
in their entertainment center, moved forward to be flush with the front,
saving 2 feet of empty space!

--
COIN AUCTIONS NO MINIMUMS http://www.frankcoins.com
Ebay Powerseller FRANKCOINS Texas Auction License 11259

Matthew L. Martin wrote:

> Alan Figgatt wrote:
>> It is moving it at all that is the problem. And if you need to get
>> behind your 200+ lb TV to re-wire cables or for dusting, that could
>> give one a hernia. Sony dropped their 40" 4:3 CRT TV from their
>> product line this year, I suspect the higher end Japanese brands will
>> be dropping the 36" 4:3 CRTs from their product line before long and
>> leaving the really big sets to the cheaper off-brand makes. The open
>> question is how long will the 34" 16:9 CRT be offered by the
>> mainstream brands - Sony, Toshiba, etc? My guess is no more than
>> another 3-4 years.
>>

> So you are suggesting that people ignore direct view CRTs just because
> they are heavy and that the major brands might stop making them in the
> future? The fact that they can provide the best available image has to
> be outweighed by the argument that they need to be moved for dusting? I
> find that hilarious. I don't think there are more than a handful of
> people who do dust behind there TVs that don't have a mobile stand.

When I went shopping for a new TV 10 years ago, I got a Sony 27" CRT
as that was the largest set I could move around by myself. The better
brand name 32" CRTs were just too heavy for me to seriously consider.

Last December, after a lot of research, probably too much research, I
got a new HD TV: a Panasonic 42" HD plasma (commercial) model. It weighs
around 25 lbs less than my 10 year old 27 CRT and with the handles on
the back, is easier to put into place and to move around than the CRT.
Not something I do every day, but I have moved it several times to put
in a new blade and rearrange cables.

You may not consider size and weight a factor, but from my
conversations with people and reading postings on the net, a lot of
people do. As for picture quality, with a fixed pixel plasma or LCD,
there are no geometry problems you get with a CRT. Black levels on the
Panny are close to that of the CRT which is one reason I chose the Panny.

Alan F
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 9:55:49 PM

Alan Figgatt wrote:

> When I went shopping for a new TV 10 years ago, I got a Sony 27" CRT as
> that was the largest set I could move around by myself. The better brand
> name 32" CRTs were just too heavy for me to seriously consider.
>
> Last December, after a lot of research, probably too much research, I
> got a new HD TV: a Panasonic 42" HD plasma (commercial) model. It weighs
> around 25 lbs less than my 10 year old 27 CRT and with the handles on
> the back, is easier to put into place and to move around than the CRT.
> Not something I do every day, but I have moved it several times to put
> in a new blade and rearrange cables.
>
> You may not consider size and weight a factor, but from my
> conversations with people and reading postings on the net, a lot of
> people do. As for picture quality, with a fixed pixel plasma or LCD,
> there are no geometry problems you get with a CRT. Black levels on the
> Panny are close to that of the CRT which is one reason I chose the Panny.
>
> Alan F

I'm one of those people who consider size/weight when it comes to TVs.
I owned a 27" CRT TV for a long time and it was a PITA when cleaning it
or moving it to a different location. I think it weighed over 130 lbs.
I finally got a 26" LCD TV over a week ago and very happy with its
size/weight. It's only less than 30 lbs.

And if I ever do get the "itch" to buy a bigger TV (like, a 200" inch) I
think I'll get a good PROJECTOR instead :)  At least, I don't have to
get a few of my friends (and an 18-wheeler) to carry that monster if I
ever do move somewhere else.

-Naz
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 9:13:30 AM

Alan Figgatt wrote:
> Matthew L. Martin wrote:
>
> > Alan Figgatt wrote:
> >> It is moving it at all that is the problem. And if you need to
get
> >> behind your 200+ lb TV to re-wire cables or for dusting, that
could
> >> give one a hernia. Sony dropped their 40" 4:3 CRT TV from their
> >> product line this year, I suspect the higher end Japanese brands
will
> >> be dropping the 36" 4:3 CRTs from their product line before long
and
> >> leaving the really big sets to the cheaper off-brand makes. The
open
> >> question is how long will the 34" 16:9 CRT be offered by the
> >> mainstream brands - Sony, Toshiba, etc? My guess is no more than
> >> another 3-4 years.
> >>

> > So you are suggesting that people ignore direct view CRTs just
because
> > they are heavy and that the major brands might stop making them in
the
> > future? The fact that they can provide the best available image has
> > be outweighed by the argument that they need to be moved for
dusting? I
> > find that hilarious. I don't think there are more than a handful of

> > people who do dust behind there TVs that don't have a mobile stand.
>
> When I went shopping for a new TV 10 years ago, I got a Sony 27"
CRT
> as that was the largest set I could move around by myself. The better

> brand name 32" CRTs were just too heavy for me to seriously consider.
>
> Last December, after a lot of research, probably too much research,
> got a new HD TV: a Panasonic 42" HD plasma (commercial) model. It
weighs
> around 25 lbs less than my 10 year old 27 CRT and with the handles on

> the back, is easier to put into place and to move around than the
CRT.
> Not something I do every day, but I have moved it several times to
put
> in a new blade and rearrange cables.
>
> You may not consider size and weight a factor, but from my
> conversations with people and reading postings on the net, a lot of
> people do. As for picture quality, with a fixed pixel plasma or LCD,
> there are no geometry problems you get with a CRT. Black levels on
the
> Panny are close to that of the CRT which is one reason I chose the
Panny.

> Alan F

They come on rollers, folks! At least my 51" Pioneer Elite does. I
would guess it is actually easier for me to move my big black box than
it is for the DLP/LCD/Plasma owners (not counting stairs, of course.)
to move their sets.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 2:52:25 PM

Alan Figgatt (afiggatt@comcast.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> As for picture quality, with a fixed pixel plasma or LCD,
> there are no geometry problems you get with a CRT.

That's not true. Many fixed-pixel displays have overscan, and some have
no way to adjust it. Convergence and line straightness aren't generally
problems on fixed pixel displays, but *some* have issues that mimic these
things. As for "squareness", though, fixed pixel displays can have problems
with this if their scaler isn't accurate.

--
Jeff Rife | "Oooh, I love children...
| they taste like chicken."
|
| -- Heddy Newman, "Herman's Head"
February 13, 2005 8:55:14 AM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:41:17 -0500, "Jean-Pierre Thibaudeau"
<thibaudeau.jp@videotron.ca> wrote:

>CRT HD are the best.
>
>But please, if you buy one, don't buy the KV30HS420, buy at least the
>KD-30XS955 or better yet, the 34-XBR960 which is the best and biggest HD CRT
>TV set available now.
>
>Jean-Pierre Thibaudeau

Saw the 36xs955 and the 34xs955 side by side the other day. They were
both showing widescreen mode so the 36 was letterboxed at about 33" to
the 34's. The 36 actually looked a bit better due to the smaller size
as it gives you a touch more sharpness when comparing side by side.
The black bars on the letterboxed 36 made for a nicer picture
presentation than the plastic frame around the 34xs.

What with the much lower price and the bigger 4:3 picture area, it is
an interesting, very heavy, monster.

PS saw the accursed pany EDTV on display too, god awful cheap
technology only blew away all the competition around it ;)
Of course it was just showing a DVD.
Hey, wait a minute, that's what I watch.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 11:56:58 AM

So much depends on viewing distance. Many people find that if your
viewing distance is 8' or greater, the ability to distinguish fine
detail between a 42" ED and 42" HD display, all but disappear. Now,
when you're comparing a 34" screen to a 42" screen, that in itself is a
huge difference. Once again, if your viewing distance is 8' or greater,
I doubt you'll be able to see any additional detail at all on the 34"
screen vs the 42" ED screen. But, you WILL get the added benefit of an
additional 8"....that can't be underestimated. If you watch a
significant amount of DVDs, you'll also find the 480p resolution
perfectly matches the output of your DVD player.

The only REAL way to answer the question definitively for YOU, is to
see both displays (I'd suggest a Panny 42" ED) vs the Sony 34" at the
viewing distance you expect to be watching. If possible, demo the kind
of material you expect to be watching the most.
February 14, 2005 1:42:07 AM

hello, I'm looking into buying a Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY, EDTV Plasma.
I hope you wouldn't mind if I ask you a few questions.
I hope it's appropriate netiquette thought it's a bit off-topic.

One main concern I have is whether I should just give in
to the HD version. Which means spend $1000 or so more, almost
the same as my car. So it's quite a symbolic leap for me. ;)
I'm also concerned that the prices of the plasmas will fall
when a new model/technology comes out. So if I wait another month
(let's
speculate) I'd be able to get the HD version for almost the
same price. As you can see price is a big issue currently. I'm
having some trouble justifying the purchase. My purchase is
mostly based on the fact that my family needs a new tv and it
would go great with the decor of our new apartment because
of a fireplace where the plasma could hang neatly over the
mantel. Otherwise we would have to cover the fireplace with
an entertainment center/CRT. I also tend to purchase things
I hope to keep rather than get rid of or upgrade later. Also I'm
hoping to take advantage of the higher resolution (8x4 should be
adequate for
typical email/web browsing) to use as a computer monitor
on occasionally or regularly.

I also could provide some information about what
type of wall mount you purchased? Flat or tilt? Are you
satisfied with it? I think the
extra 3-4 in. of space/bulk the tilt requires isn't worth it.
And I would like to keep the mount simple, specifically it would
be nice to get in and out without too much trouble.
I've only seen the peerless brand mounts on most sites. I
guess that's pretty standard.

Thirdly, I haven't been able to decide whether to connect
my dvd player using the component in/ouputs or the hd tuner
from comcast. I figure I'll try both to see what looks better.
Any advice?

Thanks!

Milan Andric
!