Sharing a USB Cutter (decal making printer)

rmicro1

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Hello. I'm doing work for a business that does decals and designs for vehicals. They have one machine that cuts the decal into the material that they want shared between two computers. The machine is a Summa D120 SE. http://www.summastore.com/cutter_detail.php?product_id=2&sess_id=2ca46dce38d0d352de8ce70775c65511
The problem is that the print drivers don't show up in the windows printers folder. I did research on Summa's website and they say "Your network, due to its many variables and complex settings, is not something we, as a cutter maker, can support." So basically sharing out the cutter is not allowed. The program the business is using is called Flexi Design 8.5.

What I am wondering is if there is some device that will share a USB printer with two printers? I can't see a print server working, just because of the way the drivers from Summa work. I tried a USB HUB with the cable that usually goes into the computer, I put it into the printer but the hub wouldn't power on with sensing a computer from that port.

So I am open to suggestions. The business is currently just switching the USB cable back and forth between the two computers and each time this is done, dang windows needs to reinstall the driver (you know windows!).

Thanks for any input.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I think you need a usb switch, not a hub... check this out Link

This is a manual switch where you have to hit a button but it would save you from having to unplug and plug in to a new computer... unfortunately it will still need to load the drivers but you might be able to tweak the drivers to remain on the system but that requires a little bit more knowledge than what I can offer.

Here's a link to an automatic USB switch (never heard of the store but it was the first think google gave to me.) it is a belkin part so you should be able to find it elsewhere auto-switch
this one says only usb 1.1 support but this seems to be what your looking for

rmicro1

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Thanks a lot BC for finding these. I'll check them out for sure.

With regards to SasparillaMayonase's question...the cutter doesn't even show up as a printer in the Windows Printers/Faxes folder. I believe the only place you can see it installed is in Device Manager. That's why I can't share it out as a network printer. It's just the way the driver from the manufacturer is made.

Thanks for replying all of you. Really appreciate the help.

If the printer is not a printer (to windows), then it is not shareable though those means.

Option 1.) USB Swtich.
Option 2.) get a kit that allows USB ports to be used accross the network, then install the software and done. This software is HERE

rmicro1

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Thanks for letting me know about this software. Looks really good. It is a tad pricey however. I'm going to try a Belkin F1U401. In theory this should do the trick without any fancy configuring and more than half the price of the software. But the software will certainly be considered if the USB unit doesn't work.

Thanks again.

rmicro1

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like it would probably do the job. I did purchase the Belken F1U401 4x1 USB Switch. I'm just waiting for it to arrive and see if it works. I went with it because I got it for about $50 with shipping (Canadian) verus $90 (American) for software.

I'll definitely let everyone know if it works. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

rmicro1

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Well, I've got great news as the Belken F1U401 4x1 USB Switch worked. This cutter is now successfully being shared between two computers. It's an interesting switch as it uses software to change which computer is connected to the cutter. It uses a simple system tray icon which is clicked on, opens a menu and you click on "Switch" and it changes the connection to your computer. Slick little unit.

Just wanted to share this little adventure with ones just incase any of you encounter a similar situation.

Thanks again for everyone who gave suggestions. Really appreciate it.