Closed Solved

Would like to try Chrome or Firefox

Hi,
My question concerns browsers. I currently have IE8 / Windows. I would like to try Chrome or Firefox. How do I try these browsers without corrupting the “Microsoft” Windows installation? What are the ramifications?
23 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about would chrome firefox
  1. Best answer
    Nothing bad will happen. You can install and uninstall either browser if you don't like it without messing anything up. They will work alongside Internet Explorer, not replace it. I run IE 9, Chrome 11, Firefox 4, and Opera 11 portable edition all at the same time without a problem.
  2. It will not affect anything in any way. I recommend using firefox. Also if your not sure do NOT make it your default browser.
  3. try both but the fox is better!
  4. Which Windows install do you have? If you have Vista or 7, you might also want to try IE9 RC. I use that and FF4 Beta. Thats the best combo to have really.
  5. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    try both but the fox is better!

    Yah, I leave Firefox as my default browser.
  6. jimmysmitty said:
    Which Windows install do you have? If you have Vista or 7, you might also want to try IE9 RC. I use that and FF4 Beta. Thats the best combo to have really.

    Hi,
    The PC in question has Windows XP SP3. It is an updated, old system that just keeps going. The funds for a new build keeps getting diverted.
  7. go with the fox,ie9 will be final soon and seems to be a great browser!
  8. For XP Firefox offers the best performance imo.
    Don't concern yourself with ie9 it won't run on XP.
  9. Am I the only one voting for Chrome?

    Google Chrome is very lightweight, and though it may lack some extensions that Firefox may have, it has a lot. Check it out!

    http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/landing_chrome.html?hl=en
  10. propelledjeans said:
    Am I the only one voting for Chrome?

    Google Chrome is very lightweight, and though it may lack some extensions that Firefox may have, it has a lot. Check it out!

    http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/landing_chrome.html?hl=en

    Yes you are, firefox is amazing. And I tried chrome for a bit.. its not really any lighter on memory.. and I think firefox 4.0 is just as fast..
  11. Well, by lightweight I just feel that it's more... minimal. I haven't checked out 4.0.
  12. Nakkiel said:
    Yes you are, firefox is amazing. And I tried chrome for a bit.. its not really any lighter on memory.. and I think firefox 4.0 is just as fast..

    I agree that Firefox 4.0 is amazing. I think that Chrome is faster out of the box, but once Adblock Plus and Fasterfox Lite are added to Firefox, it "feels" faster than any other browser to me.
  13. Quote:
    You can try both. As for me I use Chrome, because it's a very fast browser.

    Quote:
    I've tried both Chrome or Firefox, bit Chrome is faster and no problems.

    That's great and all, but have you tried Chrome and Firefox, and which do you think is a fast browser?
  14. firefox!
  15. I've had Firefox 4 for a while now. It is so much faster than IE8. You can almost hear the CPU breathing a sigh of relief. Well almost. :)
  16. terry4536 said:
    I've had Firefox 4 for a while now. It is so much faster than IE8. You can almost hear the CPU breathing a sigh of relief. Well almost. :)

    IE is up to 9, and at least for me the startup time is much faster on ie9, but I do have that cache writing on the ssd since ireally dont use it, whereas firefox is cache writing on my secondary. Also firefox is much more customizable.
  17. Nakkiel said:
    IE is up to 9, and at least for me the startup time is much faster on ie9, but I do have that cache writing on the ssd since ireally dont use it, whereas firefox is cache writing on my secondary. Also firefox is much more customizable.


    IE9 isn't compatible with my operating system. I am not comfortable with all of Firefox's features yet. But it's speed is very welcome. Sites like Tom's Hardware have these infuriating animated advertisements, IE8 would bog down when the ads would update. Firefox 4 doesn't have this problem.
  18. I use google chrome when I am at work. It is very fast, and always offers me good result when doing the google search.
  19. test results say firefox is fastest ,i agree!
  20. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    test results say firefox is fastest ,i agree!

    Actually, different tests give different results: V8 favors Chrome, Sunspider favors IE9, and Kraken favors Firefox. Personally, I now use Pale Moon (a Firefox variant) with the Adblock Plus and Fasterfox Lite add-ons. I think it represents a great blend of features (helped by a few other addons), speed, and compatibility.
  21. I am using the Google Chrome Browser.It's very fast one...I am using from past three Months, even though i open many tabs also it will not hang or get slow..So that i using it,while using the Browser the Downloading and uploading are very fast i have check my uploading and Downloading speed at
    http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/
  22. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
  23. Best answer selected by area51reopened.
Ask a new question

Read More

Internet Applications Chrome Browsers Firefox Apps