Help Needed! My computer might be cooking itself

iamollie

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
Ive recently got very worried im running a E6400 at 2.4Ghz the motherboard is an AB9 on the abit uguru it says my temp is around 45 at idle
however on sisoftware's sandra it says temp is 72 C !
i tried to cross check it with some freeware which reports temperatures at around 58 C
what the hell is happening an which is right
thanks

iamollie

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
im using stock cooler and paste from intel although the surface has been disurbed because i discoverd the heatsink wasnt making proper contact with the processor although i reconnected it properly.
what excatly do you mean by core temp all i can find is just a general cpu temperature

haywood

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Don't worry about t junction, always says 85.

Temps are on the high side for idle, mine idled at 40 with the stock cooler but was OC'd to 2.8. Make sure the cooler is attached correctly, you may need to remove, clean and reapply some thermal grease and reattach.

iamollie

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
thanks for your help guys, i removed the overclock since im not really playing any cpu intensive games atm and its now dropped to about 50.
thinking with the bit of excess cash i have in getting aftermarket cooling for increased overclocks and quieter.
atm my case is crap and its only got one 80mm case fan (out of one) do you reckon that i should get a new case with a couple of 120mm fans (since i have a 120mm antec tricool i bought by mistake) or go for a supercooler.

in the case what cooler ive heard good things about scythe infinitys and they are cheaper than the zalmans

haywood

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
You need to reseat the CPU cooler, it is definitely not working correctly as I used mine to OC much higher than that and my temps were much lower.

Don't forget to clean off the old grease and reapply new thermal grease.

iamollie

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
ok well ive heard good things about arctic coolings mx-1 so maybe ill get that
the temperatures have actually dropped now to around 45 and im using the computer so it'll probably be even lower at true idling
if you had to say one solution which though since this money is burning a hole in my pocket and this noisy computer is pissing me off

haywood

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
My PC idled much lower and had a higher OC.

Get some MX-1, take of the heatsink, clean up all the old thermal grease with isopropyl alcohol, reapply thermal grease per directions and reinstall the heatsink. Cheapest, best thing you can do. If you want more cooling get the Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 7 for ~$20 at www.ewiz.com, comes with M x-1 pre applied.