How to tell if my TV will work with OTA HDTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
February 9, 2005 8:27:36 AM

Hello,

I am interested in trying OTA HDTV but am not sure if my Sony KP43HT20
will display the HDTV signal correctly, or if I will notice the
difference. Can anyone tell if this RP tv will work? I planned on
trying the US Digital DB-2010 receiver and antenna to see what HD
signals I can get in Buffalo NY. What do you think?

Thank you

More about : work ota hdtv

February 9, 2005 10:50:41 AM

What was that Jim?
February 9, 2005 12:01:16 PM

RTFB
"Greg" <golfergbs@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am interested in trying OTA HDTV but am not sure if my Sony KP43HT20
> will display the HDTV signal correctly, or if I will notice the
> difference. Can anyone tell if this RP tv will work? I planned on
> trying the US Digital DB-2010 receiver and antenna to see what HD
> signals I can get in Buffalo NY. What do you think?
>
> Thank you

Related resources
February 9, 2005 12:36:30 PM

Alan F,

Thank you for your assistance!

I'm new to this forum, but not forums in general. It appeared that Jim
was expressing little wit, and even less help. But I understand there
are those kind in every group.

Your help is appreciated. I have been looking into this for several
weeks at least, and everything I read is clear as mud to me. Truthfully
I rely (right or wrong) more on the people in forums than manufacturers
documentation, or sales pitches. I trust those who have actually worked
with things or have more experience/knowledge then I. Guess I was
looking for a definitive answer from someone that understood all of
this better than I. Looks like I will give it a try and see what
happens.

Thank you Alan for keeping the spirit of these forums going!!!

Greg
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 2:41:52 PM

Jim wrote:

> RTFB
> "Greg" <golfergbs@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I am interested in trying OTA HDTV but am not sure if my Sony KP43HT20
>>will display the HDTV signal correctly, or if I will notice the
>>difference. Can anyone tell if this RP tv will work? I planned on
>>trying the US Digital DB-2010 receiver and antenna to see what HD
>>signals I can get in Buffalo NY. What do you think?
>>
>>Thank you

Jim, not a helpful answer.

Greg, I don't see the KP43HT20 on the Sony website, so is this an HD
capable TV or not? If it is, then the US Digital box should be able to
feed HD channels to the TV via Component cable. Check www.antennaweb.org
for a list of digital stations in your area.

Alan F
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 5:04:26 PM

Do it

"Greg" <golfergbs@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am interested in trying OTA HDTV but am not sure if my Sony KP43HT20
> will display the HDTV signal correctly, or if I will notice the
> difference. Can anyone tell if this RP tv will work? I planned on
> trying the US Digital DB-2010 receiver and antenna to see what HD
> signals I can get in Buffalo NY. What do you think?
>
> Thank you

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 6:26:01 PM

Greg wrote:
> Alan F,
>
> Thank you for your assistance!
>
> I'm new to this forum, but not forums in general. It appeared that Jim
> was expressing little wit, and even less help. But I understand there
> are those kind in every group.
>
> Your help is appreciated. I have been looking into this for several
> weeks at least, and everything I read is clear as mud to me. Truthfully
> I rely (right or wrong) more on the people in forums than manufacturers
> documentation, or sales pitches. I trust those who have actually worked
> with things or have more experience/knowledge then I. Guess I was
> looking for a definitive answer from someone that understood all of
> this better than I. Looks like I will give it a try and see what
> happens.
>
> Thank you Alan for keeping the spirit of these forums going!!!
>
> Greg

Greg, the whole business of receiving and displaying HD is complicated,
in part because it is all new - ATSC, 5.1 sound, 1080i vs 720p, aspect
ratios to name just a few areas where people get lost. I have seen
websites that explain some of the technology, but I have not found one
that does a good job of explaining what people need to know - especially
on how to hook it up. I suspect way too many people get their HD ready
TV and hook it up to the non-HD or even HD cable set top box via S-Video
or composite cable and think they have HD. No, S-Video and composite
don't have the bandwidth for HD, only 480i. Have to go to component,
DVI, or HDMI cables and a ATSC tuner or HD set top box.

Here are couple of web links that are not bad:
http://www.avsforum.com/hdtvfaq/HDTV-FAQ.htm - avsforum is one of the
best forums on the net on HD.
http://www.digitalinsurrection.com/hdtv.php

Good luck.

Alan F
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 11:52:45 PM

"Alan Figgatt" <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Greg, I don't see the KP43HT20 on the Sony website, so is this an HD
> capable TV or not?

I just entered the model number in Google

This comes up

http://www.satellitetheater.com/KP-43HT20.htm
!