Norton nopdb.exe removal help

June 12, 2005 7:47:58 PM

Hi all,

I not so recently installed norton antivirus (don'r remeber the
version) on my computer, hated it then un-installed it. For some
reason nopdb.exe is still running as a background process eating up
23Kb +- of my precious RAM. I have searched my computer for the
executable, searched the registry for it, ran msconfig to see if it is
running on startup (it is not), and I have googled "remove nopdb.exe"
among other online searches.

I have registry cleaner, spyware, and anti-virus software on my
computer and run them on a regular basis. If it makes any difference
whatsoever, the computer is dual boot XP SP1 / Mandrake 10.1. How can
I get rid of this annoying process?

Thanks, Blake
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 2:07:15 AM

On 12 Jun 2005 15:47:58 -0700, Cajman wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I not so recently installed norton antivirus (don'r remeber the
> version) on my computer, hated it then un-installed it. For some
> reason nopdb.exe is still running as a background process eating up
> 23Kb +- of my precious RAM. I have searched my computer for the
> executable, searched the registry for it, ran msconfig to see if it is
> running on startup (it is not), and I have googled "remove nopdb.exe"
> among other online searches.
>
> I have registry cleaner, spyware, and anti-virus software on my
> computer and run them on a regular basis. If it makes any difference
> whatsoever, the computer is dual boot XP SP1 / Mandrake 10.1. How can
> I get rid of this annoying process?
>
> Thanks, Blake

Apparently it's the executable in charge of managing scheduled runs of
Norton's Speed Disk:
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/process...

23kb is not really that much memory. Why do you think this is a problem?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

On 12 Jun 2005 15:47:58 -0700, Cajman wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I not so recently installed norton antivirus (don'r remeber the
> version) on my computer, hated it then un-installed it. For some
> reason nopdb.exe is still running as a background process eating up
> 23Kb +- of my precious RAM. I have searched my computer for the
> executable, searched the registry for it, ran msconfig to see if it is
> running on startup (it is not), and I have googled "remove nopdb.exe"
> among other online searches.
>
> I have registry cleaner, spyware, and anti-virus software on my
> computer and run them on a regular basis. If it makes any difference
> whatsoever, the computer is dual boot XP SP1 / Mandrake 10.1. How can
> I get rid of this annoying process?
>
> Thanks, Blake

Sorry did not catch the first time that you have uninstalled Norton's
antivirus. Did you uninstall the utilities too? If yes, check in Scheduled
Task to see if Disk Doctor still has a job here. Delete it, if found.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

"Cajman" <wastedyouth821@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I not so recently installed norton antivirus (don'r remeber the
> version) on my computer, hated it then un-installed it. For some
> reason nopdb.exe is still running as a background process eating up
> 23Kb +- of my precious RAM. I have searched my computer for the
> executable, searched the registry for it, ran msconfig to see if it is
> running on startup (it is not), and I have googled "remove nopdb.exe"
> among other online searches.
>
> I have registry cleaner, spyware, and anti-virus software on my
> computer and run them on a regular basis. If it makes any difference
> whatsoever, the computer is dual boot XP SP1 / Mandrake 10.1. How can
> I get rid of this annoying process?
>
> Thanks, Blake

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 2:51:17 AM

"Cajman" <wastedyouth821@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I not so recently installed norton antivirus (don'r remeber the
> version) on my computer, hated it then un-installed it. For some
> reason nopdb.exe is still running as a background process eating up
> 23Kb +- of my precious RAM. I have searched my computer for the
> executable, searched the registry for it, ran msconfig to see if it is
> running on startup (it is not), and I have googled "remove nopdb.exe"
> among other online searches.
>
> I have registry cleaner, spyware, and anti-virus software on my
> computer and run them on a regular basis. If it makes any difference
> whatsoever, the computer is dual boot XP SP1 / Mandrake 10.1. How can
> I get rid of this annoying process?
>
> Thanks, Blake

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 2:51:19 AM

"Cajman" <wastedyouth821@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I not so recently installed norton antivirus (don'r remeber the
> version) on my computer, hated it then un-installed it. For some
> reason nopdb.exe is still running as a background process eating up
> 23Kb +- of my precious RAM. I have searched my computer for the
> executable, searched the registry for it, ran msconfig to see if it is
> running on startup (it is not), and I have googled "remove nopdb.exe"
> among other online searches.
>
> I have registry cleaner, spyware, and anti-virus software on my
> computer and run them on a regular basis. If it makes any difference
> whatsoever, the computer is dual boot XP SP1 / Mandrake 10.1. How can
> I get rid of this annoying process?
>
> Thanks, Blake

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 2:51:20 AM

"Cajman" <wastedyouth821@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I not so recently installed norton antivirus (don'r remeber the
> version) on my computer, hated it then un-installed it. For some
> reason nopdb.exe is still running as a background process eating up
> 23Kb +- of my precious RAM. I have searched my computer for the
> executable, searched the registry for it, ran msconfig to see if it is
> running on startup (it is not), and I have googled "remove nopdb.exe"
> among other online searches.
>
> I have registry cleaner, spyware, and anti-virus software on my
> computer and run them on a regular basis. If it makes any difference
> whatsoever, the computer is dual boot XP SP1 / Mandrake 10.1. How can
> I get rid of this annoying process?
>
> Thanks, Blake

June 13, 2005 4:46:07 AM

Hello Blake.

Nopdb.exe is part of Norton Systemworks.

If there are no traces left of the installation directories, then you
may have to use a utility called 'symclean' which you can get from the
Symantec website. According to Symantec this utility doesn't work with
versions 2004 & 2005, although it may have been updated. The information
page at the Symantec site was dated Oct 2003!

If you can not find where nopdb.exe is located on your hard drive then
try this. Open the 'services' window, find the entry for 'Speed Disk'
and set it to disabled.

Finally. There are some viruses that name themselves with process names.
Update your virus definitions and do a thorough scan.

> Hi all,
>
> I not so recently installed Norton antivirus (don't remeber the
> version) on my computer, hated it then un-installed it. For some
> reason nopdb.exe is still running as a background process eating up
> 23Kb +- of my precious RAM. I have searched my computer for the
> executable, searched the registry for it, ran msconfig to see if it is
> running on startup (it is not), and I have googled "remove nopdb.exe"
> among other online searches.
>
> I have registry cleaner, spyware, and anti-virus software on my
> computer and run them on a regular basis. If it makes any difference
> whatsoever, the computer is dual boot XP SP1 / Mandrake 10.1. How can
> I get rid of this annoying process?
>
> Thanks, Blake
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 7:51:39 AM

> Apparently it's the executable in charge of managing scheduled runs of
> Norton's Speed Disk:
> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/process...

Yeah, I have been to that site, lots of good information.

> 23kb is not really that much memory. Why do you think this is a problem?

Well, on my system it is. I have 256 MB RAM and do audio/video/photo
editing. All which you know are resource intensive. I don't have the
money to upgrade (Differential Equations text book or RAM, tough choice
huh?)

I'll take everyones advice. By the way, what happened with the post?
Why so many duplicates? I've never seen that before!

> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 11:04:55 AM

On 13 Jun 2005 03:51:39 -0700, Cajman wrote:

> Well, on my system it is. I have 256 MB RAM and do audio/video/photo
> editing. All which you know are resource intensive. I don't have the
> money to upgrade (Differential Equations text book or RAM, tough choice
> huh?)
>
> I'll take everyones advice. By the way, what happened with the post?
> Why so many duplicates? I've never seen that before!

With limited resources, you're making the right decision (buying the text
book and disabling Speed Disk). :)

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

I have ran a thorough scan of my anti-virus on my computer today while
I was at school (up to date virus db), no viruses (sp?), downloaded and
ran "symclean" several times (nothing found), Disk Doctor is not in the
scheduled task, and I checked my processes list "Speed Disk" is not
there. Yet this thing keeps on goin'.

Are their any brute force methods of tracking down a process's file
path, should I check my boot files (win.ini, system.ini)? Thanks!
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 11:20:52 PM

On 13 Jun 2005 16:50:27 -0700, Cajman wrote:

> I have ran a thorough scan of my anti-virus on my computer today while
> I was at school (up to date virus db), no viruses (sp?), downloaded and
> ran "symclean" several times (nothing found), Disk Doctor is not in the
> scheduled task, and I checked my processes list "Speed Disk" is not
> there. Yet this thing keeps on goin'.
>
> Are their any brute force methods of tracking down a process's file
> path, should I check my boot files (win.ini, system.ini)? Thanks!

If this was on my system, I would search the registry for "nopdb.exe."
Export and delete the reference. Also would search for the file on the hard
drive. If found, rename it. (You're reminding me why I switched away from
Norton's many years ago. Thank you.)

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User