Ipod nano 6th generation and vista home basic

lisa_96

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Hello,
bought my son one of these for Christmas and keep getting this message 'and ipod has been detected but cannot be recognised, please reconnect and try again' I have reinstalled itunes about 6 times now to no avail. When we plug the nano in it says connected but the message always comes up and the ipod does not appear on left hand side of screen in the itunes account. I have been in touch with apple and they said to turn off my computer security and try again but when I do this I can only work in safe mode and not normal mode and the nano still does not work - pulling my hair out with this one! Grateful for any help.

lisabethmd

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

Had (have) the exact same problem. I went to MicroCenter (my local version of Best Buy and Geek Squad) and they were clueless, so I went to the Apple store with my computer (running Windows 7). They worked on it for about four hours with no luck (after proving that the iPod worked just fine on their computers) and after talking it over among the Genius staff, realized that they had probably had ~10 people with the same problem, and nobody's been able to fix it. For some reason, the 6th generation nano isn't compatible with 64-bit Windows. They recommended I get a new operating system. Obviously that's not a realistic option. I don't know what Apple's planning on doing about this, other than expecting people to pay ~$1000 for an Apple laptop just so they can run their ~$80 nanos. Ridiculous.

G

Having exactly the same problem with Vista Basic. Have spent 2 or three hours in apple stores with no luck. They suggested that I took my laptop to a PC store where they told me that they would have to do an overhaul that would take a few hours and cost around £40.

From what people have been saying it seems to be a driver problem?! Not really sure what this means but could a download from the Microsoft site fix this problem and become compatible with the 6th gen nano!?