Is this a software issue in vista or is my mouse causing this?

Ok, every once in a while the mouse would stop working, the light would go out and even after unplugging and plugging it in it would not work. I could plug in usb drives in the same port, but it would remain out. When I had the mouse and keyboard on the same pair of ports it would take both out, the mouse was by itself this time and only it went out. I was able to plug in other types of devices, but a mouse just would not connect to that port. I even tried unistalling the root hubs and reinstalling (I had a wacom tablet plugged in and that was working fine), but no mouse would work on those pair of ports, other devices worked fine.

I went away for a moment leaving a usb drive plugged into it, when I returned, it had locked up my system, had to hard reset.

System is

i7 920 2.66 GHZ
DX58SO mobo
6 GB of ram
ATI Radeon 4850 512 MB
PSU Antek 850 Watt

Vista Ultimate 64

Applications running at the time were

Pidgin
and MSN messenger
Steam
4 answers Last reply
More about software issue vista mouse causing this
  1. I think you're looking at a bad set of ports.... if there's a short somewhere, it could easily shut down anything connected to the port, and/or lock up the OS.
  2. The_Prophecy said:
    I think you're looking at a bad set of ports.... if there's a short somewhere, it could easily shut down anything connected to the port, and/or lock up the OS.

so even if I plugged in a USB drive afterward and it worked fine, but then the mouse again and it would not detect, it said unknown device in the USB controllers in device manager. Note when i connected the mouse to other ports it was fine, just that port the mouse would not work, but any other kind of device would.
  3. Check the event viewer for an error at the time it happened.
  4. aford10 said:
    Check the event viewer for an error at the time it happened.

I did not see any event happen when the device stopped working, only thing that was odd was it showed up as unknown device. I did try uninstalling all USB roots in device manager, but that did not fix it, a few have told me it could be driver issues of some sort, but i don't know.

I would think hardware failure at first, but the port was able to detect anything else.
Ask a new question

Read More

Mice Windows Vista Software