• Yes

Votes: 43 66.2%
  • No

Votes: 22 33.8%

• Total voters

Ogdin

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
With the lack of ati competition for the 8800gtx,and the poor reception of the over priced ultra i'd guess the next big card will be based on something new.Unless Ati can get something out to compete with the gtx/ultra before the new nvidia chips come out.

The problem is time frames. If there won't be a revision for the R600 until the end of the year at the earliest, then that means the next offering from nV will likely be the G92, and then it will likley get a new number group GF9xxx series.

There's still a chance at a GF8900 for the simple benefit of a nice die shrink or full move ot 65nm, but that would be the reason for a new part more than to make it faster, but instead to make it cheaper to produce, the offshoot would be that it likely would also be faster. However the intial rumours died after the announcement of a late season G92, which would make any retooled G80 a short-lived part.

nVidia's VP of Investor Relations said recently that they will have a high-end card in the fall.

If they can build 8800 cards at 65 nm they will release them, regardless of what ATI does, because they cost less to produce.

Yoosty

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
What I read so far on the 8900 relese fom Nvidia is that it will be late fall, most likely mid 4th qtr. of 2008.

edit: meant 2007, darn fat fingers :lol:

In that retrospect, I am hoping that the 8900 will not be released using the new PCIe 16[32] version 2.0 slot. Hate to have to completely upgrade my computer to use it. Which would mean, new mobo, cpu and ram [hopefully only ddr2, but more and likely ddr3].

Only time will tell.

What I read so far on the 8900 relese fom Nvidia is that it will be late fall, most likely mid 4th qtr. of 2008.

That's a year and a half away. I think you mean Q4 2007.

In that retrospect, I am hoping that the 8900 will not be released using the new PCIe 16[32] version 2.0 slot. Hate to have to completely upgrade my computer to use it.

Unlikely they would make the board PCIe 2.0 only, it would likely have an option power connector so that you cold run PCIe 1.1 and 2.0, which would mean that while the card would be limited to 16 lane, but that should be more than enough for most apps. Rememebr PCIe2.0 is backwards compatible with PCIe 1.1 , the only issue would be making up for the wattage difference, like they do with AGP cards.

Yoosty

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007

PRSguitar87

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Do you think they are preparing for a surprise attack from ATI? They release new drivers every month or so. This would give them more flexibility with release.

I don't think they will release the 9800gtx until November, but I have about 70 more days to step up from my 8800gts so bring it on.

FallenSniper

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
I don't see any need for nVidia to release a 8900. The 8800GTX is without competition. What if they screw up the 8900 and it is a bust? No point trying to fix something when it isn't broken..

I think that's part of the reason there isn't currently a GF8900 in the pipeline or on the racks.

What nV liekly learned from the R600 experience was that TSMC's 80nm HS process isn't all that attractive, so why bother migrating to the 80nm optical shrink that may not offer much benefit (other than moving the NVIO from outside the chip to on chip)?

I think they decided to skip the 80nm shrink and simply go to the 65nm product in the G92, which would be the logical thing to do when you're not being pushed. I think that's likely beneficial for everyone, as I doubt that nV would be much more effective on TSMC's 80nm than AMD was. So best that they skip it and focus on a truely better part, where the 65nm fab gives them lotsa extra die space as well as efficiency and speed benefits baring any similar leakage issues.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I think that's part of the reason there isn't currently a GF8900 in the pipeline or on the racks.

What nV liekly learned from the R600 experience was that TSMC's 80nm HS process isn't all that attractive, so why bother migrating to the 80nm optical shrink that may not offer much benefit (other than moving the NVIO from outside the chip to on chip)?

I think they decided to skip the 80nm shrink and simply go to the 65nm product in the G92, which would be the logical thing to do when you're not being pushed. I think that's likely beneficial for everyone, as I doubt that nV would be much more effective on TSMC's 80nm than AMD was. So best that they skip it and focus on a truely better part, where the 65nm fab gives them lotsa extra die space as well as efficiency and speed benefits baring any similar leakage issues.
Agree. The G92 will have many benifits as well as a better architecture that's not one huge die. I still call the 8800 a "FX" card.