Sign in with
Your question

Please suggest wired router for Vista

Last response: in Networking
January 15, 2008 8:33:39 PM

I need to get a new router for my Vista-Ultimate machines and I would very much like to have your suggestions for which one I should consider.

I'm not a gamer and my puters are used primarily for internet/email. I would like to keep the setup simple for my benefit but I don't mind paying more for a quality router that gives me some future proofing.

I currently have an old Linksys BEFSR-41 V.2 (last available firmware update is in 2004)

My ISP has increased speeds and now my old router is limiting my download speed.

My setup is as follows:

Cable Modem D-Link DCM-202
Linksys BEFSR 41-V.2
2-Vista Ultimate Desktops with Ethernet connection to Linksys Router and modem
1-Laptop (4 yrs old) with Ethernet connection to Router/Modem and I have a Dell TrueMobile 2300 WAP
My Vista boxes use the ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo w/Dual Gigabit LAN Controllers

I don't think I really need a wireless router but that is certainly acceptable if it makes sense to have it. I don't use my Laptop wireless except when I travel. Around the house it usually stays connected via Ethernet to my router

I know this question get asked a billion times but I would appreciate any suggestion you might have :) 

Thanks for your help
January 15, 2008 9:43:12 PM

Most wireless routers allow you to hardwire up to 4 computers so it really makes sense to get wireless, you're likely to need it some time. If your not transferring a lot of data between the computers and wireless G would work. I have a ZyXEL X 550 that I've had no problems with and very easy to set up. Buffalo, Linksys, Netgear, and D Link are all reputable. MIMO increases the wireless signal and good to have but not a must if you're on a tight budget
January 15, 2008 10:39:09 PM

Thanks for the comments g-paw...

What about going with the D-Link DIR-655?? I know it's overkill for my needs but it seems to have excellent reviews
Related resources
January 15, 2008 11:04:31 PM

broomcorn said:
Thanks for the comments g-paw...

What about going with the D-Link DIR-655?? I know it's overkill for my needs but it seems to have excellent reviews

Not saying it's not a good router but it is really expensive. It would be justifiable if you're frequently transferring large amounts of data between machines but otherwise I don't think it's worth it. I'd suggest one of these as I said I have the ZyXEL and have had no problems, been the most trouble free router I've had including older Linksys and Netgear routers.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
January 17, 2008 1:31:01 PM

One other thing to consider is that if you connect a slower PC (10/100 Meg-bit card) with other PCs that contain Giga-bit cards, the through put will throttle back to the system with the slowest speed.

Just my 2 cents ....
!