Poopoo.. Computer Boot-up Issues

booj2600

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Okay guys, here's the deal. I put together a new computer not too long ago, the first one I ever have. It worked dandily. Then, not too recently (About a week or so ago) I unplugged it and everything, and stuck another computer in its place, to do some reformatting work on it. Now, I plugged in my new computer and, lo and behold, its not working. Imagine my thrilled happiness.

eVGA NVIDIA 680i sli mobo
8800 GTX videocard
2GB Patriot DDR2 800 RAM
Intel e6700 processor
Game Xstream 700 watt PSU
Samsung spinpoint 500GB harddrive

Now, the PSU seems to be working fine. The lights come on, the fans run, everything is fine and dandy. However, it doesn't make that musical beep that it's supposed to make when it boots up. Just a few general clicks and such. Also, the monitor doesn't seem to be getting a signal from the video card, but I'm not sure if that's because there is nothing to display, or what. It just says to check the signal cable. Any guesses, any questions for clarification you guys have?

I'm really not happy right now, as I'm sure you can understand.

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Clear CMOS and see if it posts. There should be instructions in the manual for doing this.
You might want to look into replacing the bios battery which is responsible for maintaning bios settings when you unplug.

GL.

FallenSniper

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
Okay guys, here's the deal. I put together a new computer not too long ago, the first one I ever have. It worked dandily. Then, not too recently (About a week or so ago) I unplugged it and everything, and stuck another computer in its place, to do some reformatting work on it. Now, I plugged in my new computer and, lo and behold, its not working. Imagine my thrilled happiness.

Well that's fun. If it is possible with the other computer, I would try switching parts out and test them. (hook the psu up to the other system, etc.) You might have compatibility problems and not be able to test everything, but eliminating some of the possibilities is always good.

From my initial thoughts, it's a mobo problem. People seem to being having trouble with the eVGA mobo's not being stable. You might want to check into that a bit and see if others have had similar problems.

booj2600

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Alright. I believe I cleared the CMOS successfully. No dice. No boot up or anything. I'm not looking forward to having to replace parts, but that's seeming like the next step, huh? Damn. Ah well, gotta do what I gotta do. Thanks for your advice, guys.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
This has happened to me:

What I did was open the case with power off, gently tap the top of the video card ( by top I mean the part of the card opposite the video card skt) from the back to the front of the card.
It need not be unplugged, but the switch on the power supply should be in the 0 position. Also insure that the connectors to the monitor and all other connections are secure and correct.

After tapping turn on the power supply, and then turn on the computer.

If it does not boot look for the trouble shooting sticky.

Yoosty

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
When you moved your comp out of way to setup other one. You might of jarred the graphic card and or ram out of alinment.

Try resetting them again and if that does not work, I do believe that Evga has a LED Debug module on it.

Read the manual you got from EVGA with mobo, it list the LED codes there. But here is quick reference on how to check it out below.

Unconnect the cables from HD, CD-ROM/DVD-RW, floppy drive and monitor. Take out all but 1 ram.

Connect power and use the Debug on/off buttons that are on mobo. If you get FF code in LED, then those items are ok. Remember to check all cable connetions to mobo from psu, they might of also come loose during move.

Another thing, did you OC your CPU. You might have to turn things back to default settings in bios'.

Hope I help you out, good luck now 8)

booj2600

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Nope guys. Nothing is working. Replaced the 8800 GTX with the old video card from the other computer, nothing changed. Fiddled with and replaced everything I could think of, trying to start it up after each one. Made sure its all seated correctly. The monitor still isn't finding a signal, it's still not making a boot up beep, and even the error LEDs aren't working. They just show "--". Any other ideas? I can't even get into BIOs to fiddle with them, but no, I never got around to OCing my CPU.

Yoosty

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Sounds like a bad Psu, since nothing is lighting up. Check out EVGA forum board to see if anyone else had same problem and see how they fixed it. Otherwise you will have to contact them to get mobo RMA # from them to replace it.