C drive practically full!

My C drive is practically full and my D drive is almost completely
empty.

Questions:

1) Is there some sort of function that will list all my programs and
the memory they each use up, in descending order, that are on my C
drive?

2) From such a list I would then presumably delete those programs that
I no longer have need of to free up disk space...and if there are ones
that I do need I can place them on the D drive. Does this sound like
good ideas?

3) What else can I do beside defragmentation and diskcheck in order to
free up disk space?

I wonder how long it's been since you used XP's ability to clean out unused
files. I use it from time to time, and I'm always suprised how much space
it opens up.

Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Cleanup (I think)

In news:1118622652.036786.237240@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
shempmcgurk@netscape.net <shempmcgurk@netscape.net> typed:

> My C drive is practically full and my D drive is almost
> completely
> empty.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Is there some sort of function that will list all my
> programs and
> the memory they each use up,

First of all, don't confuse the word "memory" with disk space.
"Memory" is the amount of RAM you have, as distinct from the
amount of disk space.

> in descending order, that are on my C
> drive?

No.

> 2) From such a list I would then presumably delete those
> programs that
> I no longer have need of to free up disk space...and if there
> are ones
> that I do need I can place them on the D drive. Does this
> sound like
> good ideas?

No. You should uninstall programs because they are not valuable
to you--because you don't use them. That decision should be made
irrespective of how much disk space they use.

How large is drive C: and how large is drive D:? Are these two
partitions on the same physical drive?

Assuming that C: is nearly full and that there's lots of free
space on D:, what you should do is uninstall some (or all of
them, depending on the sizes of C: and D:) of your programs, and
reinstall them on D:.

> 3) What else can I do beside defragmentation and diskcheck in
> order to
> free up disk space?

Neither defragmentation nor chkdsk does anything about freeing up
disk space. Their purposes are entirely different.

Please reply to the newsgroup

bytor

In article <1118622652.036786.237240@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
shempmcgurk@netscape.net, says...

> My C drive is practically full and my D drive is almost completely
> empty.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Is there some sort of function that will list all my programs and
> the memory they each use up, in descending order, that are on my C
> drive?

Memory? Space is your issue.......Add/Remove in the control panel
generally describes the size of the actual "installs only."

> 2) From such a list I would then presumably delete those programs that
> I no longer have need of to free up disk space...and if there are ones
> that I do need I can place them on the D drive. Does this sound like
> good ideas?

No, I would never put program installs on another drive....That's a
personal preference and if you ever lost the D for some reason you're
screwed.......But yes, you can install to D if you like but as Jim
mentioned, uninstall them from C and re-install to D........The registry
associations have to be made.

> 3) What else can I do beside defragmentation and diskcheck in order to
> free up disk space?

To question 3......defrag, diskcheck does not free space.......

If your C drive just consists of program installs and no actual saved
files than uninstall some programs.........Or, if your D drive is indeed
a "seperate" physical drive and is much larger than figure out what type
of HD's you have and use the cloning tool that comes with it and pass
the OS to the larger drive. This is guess work as I do not know the
specs of your machine..........

Now you mentioned a D drive? Is it a seperate harddrive or a partition
on one drive? Find where you have been storing all your data (documents,
music, movies....whatever) and copy paste them to your D drive in a
structured manner & when it's done delete them off of C.........Simple

Jim

<shempmcgurk@netscape.net> wrote in message
> My C drive is practically full and my D drive is almost completely
> empty.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Is there some sort of function that will list all my programs and
> the memory they each use up, in descending order, that are on my C
> drive?
Windows Explorer?

> 2) From such a list I would then presumably delete those programs that
> I no longer have need of to free up disk space...and if there are ones
> that I do need I can place them on the D drive. Does this sound like
> good ideas?
No. To move programs, you must first find the installation CD.
Then, you execute Add/Remove programs in the control panel to remove the
program
Finally, you use the installation CD to install the program on the other
drive.

> 3) What else can I do beside defragmentation and diskcheck in order to
> free up disk space?
Defragmentation does not free disk space. It consolidates disk space.
Jim

Run Disk Cleanup. Go to Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Tools and
select your C drive. Do a decent cleanup. Be advised that in Add and Remove
Programs there is an indicator next to installed programs that is supposed
to give you an idea how often the program is run "rarely", "occasionally",
or "frequently". These indicators are notoriously inaccurate. You will have
to determine what you need to keep and what you need to dump. Many
uninstallers do not do a thorough job. Once you've uninstalled and
application you should look in the Programs folder to see what the
uninstaller has left behind.

If you store a lot of files in My Documents you might want to change the
location of it to D. It is simple to do. Right click the My Documents icon
and select Properties. Then change the location to D:\My Documents.

You can do the same for your e-mail store. If you use Outlook Express go to
Tools->Options->Maintenance Tab->click Store folder button and have the
location changed to D:\Outlook Express

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

<shempmcgurk@netscape.net> wrote in message
> My C drive is practically full and my D drive is almost completely
> empty.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Is there some sort of function that will list all my programs and
> the memory they each use up, in descending order, that are on my C
> drive?
>
> 2) From such a list I would then presumably delete those programs that
> I no longer have need of to free up disk space...and if there are ones
> that I do need I can place them on the D drive. Does this sound like
> good ideas?
>
> 3) What else can I do beside defragmentation and diskcheck in order to
> free up disk space?

Paul

Splendid

Consider using Partition Magic to resize those partitions.............

<shempmcgurk@netscape.net> wrote in message
> My C drive is practically full and my D drive is almost completely
> empty.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Is there some sort of function that will list all my programs and
> the memory they each use up, in descending order, that are on my C
> drive?
>
> 2) From such a list I would then presumably delete those programs that
> I no longer have need of to free up disk space...and if there are ones
> that I do need I can place them on the D drive. Does this sound like
> good ideas?
>
> 3) What else can I do beside defragmentation and diskcheck in order to
> free up disk space?

ME

<shempmcgurk@netscape.net> wrote in message
> My C drive is practically full and my D drive is almost completely
> empty.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Is there some sort of function that will list all my programs and
> the memory they each use up, in descending order, that are on my C
> drive?

Try this one... http://www.diskdata.com

Download the program, install and run.

Woady