any advantage for Socket F opty vs. AM2 opty?

eregular

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I want to build a server for my home so i can get to know windows server 2003 (possibly 2008 later) anyway, I have a couple questions to the all wise forum junkies

1. Is there any advantage to using an opteron over a basic x2 athlon?

2. If yes to question 1 should i invest in a server mobo (I was thinking of this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128020)? for am2 I'm doing this for the purpose of learning windows server 2003 enough so i can get a MCSA/MCSE

3. is there any reason to spend extra money on a socket f system?

3. now that you know my master plan, would i be just as well off with a 690g mobo and a x2 3600+?

Thanks

I want to build a server for my home so i can get to know windows server 2003 (possibly 2008 later) anyway, I have a couple questions to the all wise forum junkies

Windows Server 2003 will run on about any computer that Windows XP will run on. You don't need a server to run it at all- a normal desktop owill do fine r even a laptop will likely work.

1. Is there any advantage to using an opteron over a basic x2 athlon?

The socket AM2 Opterons are the same as the 2x1 MB Windsor Athlon 64 X2s. The only thing that the AM2 Opterons have that the normal X2s don't are 2x1 MB high-efficiency models and some of the lower clock speeds. Here's a table of equivalents:

1210 = no X2 equiv
1210 HE = no X2 equiv.
1212 = X2 4000+ Windsor (rare)
1212 HE = no X2 equiv.
1214 = X2 4400+ Windsor (rare)
1214 HE = no X2 equiv.
1216 = X2 4800+ Windsor (rare)
1216 HE = no X2 equiv.
1218 = X2 5200+ Windsor
1218 HE = no X2 equiv.
1220 = X2 5600+ Windsor
1222 SE = X2 6000+

2. If yes to question 1 should i invest in a server mobo (I was thinking of this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128020)? for am2 I'm doing this for the purpose of learning windows server 2003 enough so i can get a MCSA/MCSE

First, why somebody gets a 1P server board is mostly to have a more stable system with more network and disk connectors or other slots (e.g. PCI-X) than normal consumer boards. You can make a server out of any desktop CPU and motherboard. You can also put an Opteron in any AM2 motherboard or any AM2 chip in any AM2 server motherboard.

3. is there any reason to spend extra money on a socket f system?

Unlike the AM2 Opterons, the Socket 1207 Opterons do differ in features and capabilities from the X2s. Different Socket F chips are able to be run in pairs, fours, or eights, giving the user up to 16 cores to work with. The Socket F chips also use registered ECC memory instead of normal unbuffered DDR2.

3. now that you know my master plan, would i be just as well off with a 690g mobo and a x2 3600+?

I think so.

I'm not Wise and I'm not a junkie but here goes . . .

I'd be less concerned with hardware at this point than the license fees you will have to pay to M$. I'd concentrate on a multi-boot system with Win2003, Win2003 64-bit, Win2008 beta, etc.

Then you can concentrate on how each OS performs under file and print servers, authentications, Web servers, applications platforms, etc.

May not hurt to throw a 'nix variant in there somewhere . . .

I'd also concentrate on networking as opposed to the your hardware, i.e., purchase/build/network slower/older PCs than worrying about a socket f/AM2 . . . .

eregular

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
learning from it mostly but things like sharing printers i know, uhm security issues, I have to admit i know almost nothing, guess i'm going to be asking questions like "what kinds of things should i know how to do to be a succesfull MCSA"?

eregular

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
i am able to get WS03 for free, I do have hookups, also i got almost all the materials that MS sells for those who want to learn their WS03.

so a cheapo brisbane and 690 board will do it huh? The only thing i was curious about is dual onboard lan, I know i can get another network card and thats probably a better idea, but i'm not aware of its requirements for a small file server/security box/printer share'er

Thanks though, lots of help, i want to save as much $$$ as possible.

i am able to get WS03 for free, I do have hookups, also i got almost all the materials that MS sells for those who want to learn their WS03.

so a cheapo brisbane and 690 board will do it huh? The only thing i was curious about is dual onboard lan, I know i can get another network card and thats probably a better idea, but i'm not aware of its requirements for a small file server/security box/printer share'er

Thanks though, lots of help, i want to save as much $$$ as possible.

Can't beat free . . . :D

Lemme make yah a deal on some 10/100 NICs . . . lol