Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade problems

Last response: in Windows XP
October 9, 2009 6:53:41 PM

I just upgraded from XP home to XP Pro.

Now I have problems browsing with IE6 it gives an error when ever I type an address it the address bar that reads:

The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context.

I am also unable to open links in Outlook 2003 I receive a locate link browser dialog box I select firefox that I always have and it says it can't start the browser.

I think the problems might be related. How can I fix the IE6 issue?

Thank You in advance for any help on this issue.

More about : upgrade problems

October 9, 2009 9:54:11 PM

I would seriously recommend upgrading from Internet Explorer 6 personally, but if you have reasons for using it, fair enough. Have you done a Microsoft Update since?
m
l
October 9, 2009 11:38:37 PM

Hi!
Which one was the default browser?
Reseting IE's settings could solve the problem.
I recommend to run an chkdsk /r but it would take too much time for a faster test use chkdsk /f:
Start - > Run -> type CMD and press enter
type CHKDSK /F and answer "Y" than restart the system.
m
l
Related resources
October 10, 2009 4:04:04 AM

tenshimsm said:
Hi!
Which one was the default browser?
Reseting IE's settings could solve the problem.
I recommend to run an chkdsk /r but it would take too much time for a faster test use chkdsk /f:
Start - > Run -> type CMD and press enter
type CHKDSK /F and answer "Y" than restart the system.

I had IE 8 on XP home Edition and Upgraded to XP Professional and need IE6 for school reasons.

So in effect I went backwards with the IE. I guess this caused some sort of conflict with in IE. I really don't like IE I have used firefox for years which is working fine but need IE6 for school.

I have been told that the only way to fix this is to format C: and reinstall everything. This seem a bit extreme to me.

Can I use Add/Remove Component feature to remove IE and Download IE6 from Microsoft.com? It seems like a good idea on the surface but I don't want to make matters worse.
m
l
October 10, 2009 9:43:27 PM

Yeah I personally would assume this is the cause of your problem. I tried doing a repair installation of XP once, Pro to Pro, and Internet Explorer wouldn't work properly. Unless there is a way of being able to use another alternative browser for your school purposes, a format may be the only fix to this (don't hold me to that, you may be surprised :p )
Have you tried enabling compatability mode in IE8 to see if that loads the pages as they would in IE6?
m
l
October 12, 2009 2:58:56 AM

ukcal said:
Yeah I personally would assume this is the cause of your problem. I tried doing a repair installation of XP once, Pro to Pro, and Internet Explorer wouldn't work properly. Unless there is a way of being able to use another alternative browser for your school purposes, a format may be the only fix to this (don't hold me to that, you may be surprised :p )
Have you tried enabling compatability mode in IE8 to see if that loads the pages as they would in IE6?

I no longer have IE8 it was replaced with IE6 and it won't function properly. I only need IE6 because we are studying that browser software. IE6 is what all microsoft text books are based on. Once I'm done with those I will continue to use firefox.

If going backwards from IE8 to IE6 is what caused this I think I can restore back to before I upgraded and remove IE8 and then re-upgrade.

Am I correct in my thinking?

Or Can I use Add/Remove Component feature to remove IE and Download IE6 from Microsoft.com?

Either of these sounds better than reformatting.

Thanks
m
l
October 12, 2009 8:45:03 PM

Hmm, I think somehow, your best bet to get a working IE would be to upgrade it to 8 and leave it at that. I know that doesn't solve your need for IE6 so I have proposed another idea for that.
Virtual PC.
Install XP onto a virtual pc, plenty of that software about. The vanilla installation of XP comes with IE6 anyway, so you can just use that without worrying about anything else. Just an idea of course, but it sounds like a feasible idea, even if you only use the virtual machine for IE6ing.
m
l
October 13, 2009 3:01:02 AM

ukcal said:
Hmm, I think somehow, your best bet to get a working IE would be to upgrade it to 8 and leave it at that. I know that doesn't solve your need for IE6 so I have proposed another idea for that.
Virtual PC.
Install XP onto a virtual pc, plenty of that software about. The vanilla installation of XP comes with IE6 anyway, so you can just use that without worrying about anything else. Just an idea of course, but it sounds like a feasible idea, even if you only use the virtual machine for IE6ing.

Thanks man,

Thats what my teacher told me to do as well. Apparently I'm not the only one who encountered that problem.

He said to use Virtual PC or VMware or something like those as well.

Thanks again. :pt1cable: 
m
l
October 13, 2009 7:04:55 PM

yzerwing said:
Thanks man,

Thats what my teacher told me to do as well. Apparently I'm not the only one who encountered that problem.

He said to use Virtual PC or VMware or something like those as well.

Thanks again. :pt1cable: 

No worries, hope it all goes well :) 
m
l
October 13, 2009 7:43:20 PM

ukcal said:
No worries, hope it all goes well :) 

Maybe you can help me with one more issue.

Since my upgrade from XP Home Edition to Professional the computer no longer connects automatically. I have to open network connections and right-click the connection and select repair. This always seems to work but I never had to do that before.

I have Cable Internet which is supposed to always be on.

Any Ideas on what the problem might be?

Thanks
m
l
October 13, 2009 8:19:26 PM

yzerwing said:
Maybe you can help me with one more issue.

Since my upgrade from XP Home Edition to Professional the computer no longer connects automatically. I have to open network connections and right-click the connection and select repair. This always seems to work but I never had to do that before.

I have Cable Internet which is supposed to always be on.

Any Ideas on what the problem might be?

Thanks

Erm, my internet connection is wireless, so I can't relate to this one so much :p 

Maybe try good old MS Update, there might be newer drivers for your Ethernet, which in turn might fix this. If there aren't any newer ones, maybe reinstall the current ones, go to your Mobo's site, download and install them? Also maybe try silly things like booting up without it connected, then connect, sometimes silly things like that fix problems, not that we can understand why!
m
l
!