Sign in with
Your question

update: 1k gaming rig close to purchase and need advice

Last response: in Systems
June 19, 2007 3:18:55 AM

Thanks for the suggestions in previous threads for my new build. I'm about to take the plunge and need some last second advice to confirm if this is all gonna work. I have a few specific questions but any advice is welcome.

Here are my components:

C2D 6600 Conroe
CPU

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
MOBO

2 GB (2X1gb) G. Skill DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
RAM

Leadtek Winfast PX8800 GTS TDH Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB
GPU

Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL-S 550W SLI Ready-ATX12V v2.01
PSU

Linkworld 3210-04-C2628 ATX midtower
CASE

Western Digital Cavier RE WD2500YS 250GB Sata 3gb/s
HARD DRIVE

Sony Black IDE DVD-ROM Model DDU1615/B2s-OEM
DVD

Total price: $997.83

I have a few questions about the setup:

1. Is the WD RE Hd better than the SE? I plan to add a few more hd's in the future (raid) and the RE seems to be the way to go.

2. Is the Rosewill PSU enough to handle my system? It seems to have enough amps but I hear Rosewill's brand is sorta infamous for crap. I need something that is close to this price.

3. Is there a case that is a better value than the Linkworld? I need to run air cool until I can afford water cool. It comes with three fans for $27. My PSU/Case budget is almost $100.

4. Am I getting the best ram for my buck? I've read this particular ram is a very stable oc'er. Is there a better fit for my config?

All opinions are welcome and keep in mind my target budget is $1000. The system as configured is $997.83. I need to keep it as close to a grand as I can. Please note that I am stubborn about the cpu, gpu, mobo selections and am more interested in the opinions of the other parts/compatability. Waiting is not an option so the cpu price drop in July will not be considered. If you see anything that is catastrophic to the build please let me know! Once again, thanks all to those who have helped to get me here.
June 19, 2007 4:16:33 AM

Well, I don't see any major flaws. :p  Actually I don't have much to offer for this one.

1. Yes, the RE is better than the SE is. Especially if you are going RAID. It also has the 16Mb cache.

2. Well Rosewill PSUs are generally considered garbage. I would probably avoid them if possible. It's hard to find a good PSU in that low of a price range,this is the best I can come up with (in 2 minutes that is..). I'm not sure how good it is, but it has enough power for this system.

3. That case is not too bad, especially for $27. Just remember though, 80mm fans are not as effective as the larger ones. Fortunately a $100 budget here gives us some possibilities. Here's a quick list I came up with with a quick search:
NZXT Apollo

Sunbeam Transformer

CM Mystique

And if you really want things cool:
Sigma Shark

4. Well if you are planning to OC, this RAM is probably good for you. If you are planning on some really hard core OCing, I would suggest using this since that mobo can support DDR2 1066. This is specifically on the supported Memory List as well.

That's all I have for suggestions/comments. Good Luck.
June 19, 2007 4:29:53 AM

change your PSU.. check out the psu reference list..

that ram is good

you may want to get the 6420 and overclock it they overclock better these days than the 6600 and you can save $40

also get a dvd-rw drive they're dirt cheap these days
Related resources
June 20, 2007 2:01:58 AM

The more I think about it the more I worry the Rosewill psu will be a dud. The amps are pretty high but if it fails two days after the warranty I'm gonna be pretty po'ed. I need to stay within budget but I may have to bump up my psu allowance above what it is. I plan on expanding to at least three more hdd's and I have a 8800 gts 640 already so I'm gonna need some power. Not sli power, but still a good clip. I'm planning on ordering this weekend so any help figuring out what psu works best for me and my budget will be really appreciated.

Also, can I run a wd RE hdd as the only hdd until I can expand? I'm not sure I understand if the RE is worth it or not. Still, it's only a few bucks more than the SE so if there is any added benefit then I'll use it.
June 20, 2007 2:19:54 AM

Trust me, you want the RE.

You will probably want a PSU with about 550 W or so. Some possibilities:
Hiper 580W
SeaSonic 550W
SilverStone 560W

The SilverStone is the cheapest of these, and still a very good PSU. It's probably the best bang for your buck here.
June 23, 2007 4:46:38 PM

Thanks guys for your input on this thread and others. I purchased my new system on Thursday and it will be delivered on Tuesday. The only change I made was the power supply. I nuked the Rosewill psu in favor of the Mushkin 580w.
newegg
It's the advanced model so it has a "T" ranking which places it higher than the level 3 systems like Silverstone and Fortran. Mushkin is kinda new to the psu arena and I think they are really trying hard to make a name for themselves. They even replied to a review for this psu in which a customer got a dud. I haven't seen that before and was really impressed that they took the time to see on newegg what people thought about their psu's. My system priced out at about $1040 and I think it's a winner for the value received. If anyone wants to build a gaming rig for about $1000 I think in my humble opinion they should look at my component list.
!