Help Understanding E6600 in Vista with SpeedFan

htwingnut

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
I recently built my new machine with Vista in my Sig. I am looking to do a little bit of overclocking.

I set my memory multiplier to 2.5 (only options on Gigabyte are 2.5 and 3) and eventually got my FSB to 320 so memory is at 800 with 2.5 multiplier (instead of 960 with default 3 multiplier). This also gets my CPU to 2.88GHz. I just care to get it past 2.66 (equal to E6700) for now.

I read the post about understanding C2D CPU temps with Tcase and Tjunction, but my values don't jive with that post. It states that TCase should be ~15c less than Tjunction. And Tjunction should be over 15c over ambient. My Tcase i only about 3-4C below Tjunction and only about 10C over ambient

Assuming Temp 2 is my Tcase (only one that varies greatly when CPU stressed). Core 0 and Core 1 are Tjunction

I used Prime95 to stress the CPU for about ten minutes (a few interations small FFT)

Ambient temp is about 24C.
No O/C:
Idle: Tcase = 31C / Tjunction = 34C
Load: Tcase = 51C / Tjunction = 55C

O/C @ 2.88GHz
Idle: Tcase = 31C / Tjunction = 35C
Load Tcase = 66C / Tjunction = 69C

What to make of these results?

I can't really offset anything because at idle, Tcase is only 7C above ambient, so can't take it down by another 10C because that obviously wouldn't make sense. I just want to know best way to accurately monitor CPU temps to see where I should limit my O/C'ing.

Thanks!

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Post your system specs because... YOU HAVE NO SIG :D Most importantly what mobo and cooler are you using. I am no expert on the whole Tcase and Tjunction thing but those temps look allright, especially if you're on stock cooling.
I believe the 15 degree offset is used when using certain measuring programs with certain CPU's. The new intel CPU's work with a default value (100 or 85) and output how far away current temps are from reaching that point.
For your CPU (E6600) the base value is 85 so when you are running 31C it's output value would be -54. Now if you would have an E4300 (from what I can remember anyway) the base value would be 100 so the output value for 31C would be -69. If the monitoring program is not recognizing your CPU properly it will put your temps (depending on which baseline it outputs it's temps on) either 15 degrees below or 15 degrees above your actual temps.
Maybe Computroniix will see this post and kick my A$$ around a little if I messed up :D but that's how I understand things. Anyways.. post your full specs and people will be able to help you on the bios settings. I read that there are 'hidden' features on some of the Gigabyte boards. Wait for people in the know or Google :wink:

GL.

htwingnut

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
Thanks for replying. Sorry, I just recently joined, and filled out a "signature" in my profile section, not fully realizing it doesn't display.

Here's my full system specs:

Silverstone Sugo SG01 Evo Case
Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R mATX Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (Stepping 6 - Rev B2)
w/Silverstone NT06-Lite Cooler
G.Skill DDR2 800 2x2GB (CAS 5 / 5-5-5-15 @ 1.9v / F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ)
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB Superclocked (640-P2-N825-AR)
Creative X-fi XtremeGamer
WD Raptor 150GB
Seagate Barracuda 320GB
Lite-On SATA DVD-RW
Windows Vista 64-Bit

I have my case well ventilated, and the NT06 seems to be a popular cooler for this case as it is designed with this case in mind. It uses the fan from the PSU to draw air through the heatsink and out the back. I've considered putting a Zalman CNPS7700 in there though. It's got a tight fit vertically for coolers, so it would have to be a horizontal mount.

But for the most part want to understand if my temps from Speedfan seem reasonable (and accurate?)

Also, not real clear what you mean by this "base" number? What does the -54 mean? Does this mean at 69C this number is -31 so it is still 31C from max temp?

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
There seems to be alot of confusion as to what the base values I mentioned mean. So much so that I am currently unsure I've given you correct information. I really thought I had figured it out :D . For more information on the subject, read this post.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Unsure-C2D-temperatures-ftopict229550.html

There is a lot of information in there regarding what software displays correct values with certain chipsets and CPU's. It seems Computronix has altered the temperature guide since I've last read it so it's time for a revisit.

GL.

TRENDING THREADS