After July 22

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Everyone knows about the price cuts on July 22nd. (At least most people know)

In the beginning of August, what do you expect the prices to be? Will they really be $266 for the Q6600 and E6850, for example? Aren't those prices in orders per thousand or something like that? What price do you think you'd be able to get them for at Newegg in the beginning of August?

Also, I'm curious about the difference between the E6550 amd the E6540.

I am using this chart as a reference.

On the chart, it says the E6540 doesn't have "TXT". And I don't know what that is.

Thanks for all your help.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
$266 cost to Newegg means $270-320 for us. With how many people are expecting the $266 July 22, Newegg likely won't go above $300 until the demand gets too high.

TXT is a new technology from Intel. What it is, I think only Intel knows. :lol:

ethernalite

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
TXT is a DRM "feature". In its current state, it shouldn't really do anything. But it is just another step in the "trusted computing" movement.

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
So you're saying it'd be best to buy either right when the price drops, or a few weeks after. Right?

To get it under $300?

petevsdrm

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
On the chart, it says the E6540 doesn't have "TXT". And I don't know what that is.

That's simple. The E6540 will not be able to open text files. :D

To the best of my knowledge, TXT means Trusted Execution Technology. It is a hardware based security system that will apply better safeguards for information stored on PCs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaGrande_Technology

TXT is hardware DRM. It's total garbage and it will in no way harm your PC to go without it.

EDIT : For those too lazy to click the link.

Trusted Execution Technology (TET or TXT), formerly known as LaGrande Technology is a key component of Intel's initiative of "safer computing" . Intel claims that it will be very useful, especially in the business world , as a way to defend against software-based attacks aimed at stealing sensitive information. Although commonly advertised by Intel as security technology, the FSF claims that it can also be used to enable development of more advanced, tamper-resistant forms of DRM, and can be abused to achieve vendor lock-in.

It consists of a series of hardware enhancements, to allow for the creation of multiple separated execution environments, or partitions. One component is a relatively new chip residing on the motherboard, called the TPM (Trusted platform module), which allows for secure key generation and storage, and authenticated access to data encrypted by this key. Note however, that the private key stored in the TPM is generally not available to the owner of the machine, and never leaves the chip under normal operation. The TPM additionally provides for a means of remote assurance of a machines security state. Another component is DMA page protection.

So basically this is a chip that allows vendors to encrypt data on your machine with an access key that is not available to you(the owner of the f-ing machine). The TPM chip also allows the vendor to communicate with your machine and verify that you are not decrypting their information without their explicit permission.

exploding-head.gif

thumbsdown2.jpg

sailer

Splendid
To the best of my knowledge, TXT means Trusted Execution Technology. It is a hardware based security system that will apply better safeguards for information stored on PCs.

That's what I'm afraid of. It will guard itself from being used by me.