Sign in with
Your question

question about good home network setup

Last response: in Networking
January 17, 2008 2:05:07 AM

hi, im planning to make a nice and secure small home network to practice, learn and apply network stuff at home. Im planning a separate hardware firewall and wireless/wired router. I have a cable modem conection to my pc but im planing to make a home network of 3 pc's and maybe in the near future a network storage for stuff.
Im thinking buying a NETGEAR FVS124G http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122080 firewall to learn vpn and has a strong protection and security, and i like the D-Link DGL-4500 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127243 gaming router so i can have wireless and wired connectivity and play games providing internet to the others pc and connect the network storage. My question is how im supose to connect things?
Cable modem -> firewall -> router -> pc's?
Should i connect the router to the firewall from one of the firewall lan ports? I will apreciate some recommendation and hints. Thanks
January 17, 2008 12:59:41 PM

Quote:
Cable modem -> firewall -> router -> pc's?
Should i connect the router to the firewall from one of the firewall lan ports? I will apreciate some recommendation and hints. Thanks

Yep, that's the right order to connect things. If the router has a built in firewall, you'll want to disable that... don't want to have any conflicts that will affect your connection.
January 17, 2008 1:09:30 PM

If you are using XP you will want to disable the firewall included with the OS in addition to the info from rgeist.

Best of Luck ....:>)
Related resources
January 17, 2008 10:24:39 PM

thanks guys really apreciate everyone comment and tips. if someone has a recommendation or experience that would be nice too. thakns
January 18, 2008 1:24:51 PM

If you want to host any online applications. (Ex. Hosting Games in WC3 or something) You'll want to set assign static IP's to all your machines, open the ports that application requires, and forward the ports to your machine's IP on both the router and the firewall. (If it allows it, I've never messed with that firewall)

Other than that, close all the open ports that aren't necessary to reduce intrusion attempts.

For the router -> You probably want to turn of SSID Broadcasting if you live in a residential neighborhood. This will stop kiddies from seeing your network and trying to get free bandwidth.

You'd also want to enable WPA and set a strong key. Don't use WEP. It's crap and can be cracked in under ten minutes by anyone smart enough to use google.

Anyways, those are some basic tips.
January 19, 2008 12:01:07 AM

thanks for the tips. how should i connect the router to the switch? should i connect a cable from one of the lan ports from the firewall to the wan port on the router? thanks
!