Missing Operating System - Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juanita1963

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Hello,
I was installing my printer with a CD in my DVD writer on my computer and it asked me to reboot my computer. When I did my computer now has a black screen and says Missing operating system. Please can someone to me how to fix it.

greenfield

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Hope the following will help you out:

If Windows Is Missing in your Windows Computer.

If you frequently get the following message while booting Windows Vista or 7:

http://www.winvistaclub.com/t34.html

Missing Operating System
or
Operating System Not Found

and you need to boot with the disk, and repair, here is what you can try.

Boot the Windows 7 or Vista DVD, choose "Repair"
Open a Command Prompt.
Enter the following commands:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

Hit Enter.

Missing Operating System - Windows Vista

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-vista-windows-7-support/140209-missing-operating-system-windows-vista.html

A Windows Vista machine will not boot “Missing Operating System” error

http://superuser.com/questions/107346/a-windows-vista-machine-will-not-boot-missing-operating-system-error

Bon courage..

Juanita1963

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

I forgot to add to the following to my question. I don't have a boot disk. How can I get one.

Juanita

Juanita1963

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Hello to anyone having this issue.
First I would like to thank Bon courage for motivating me to try to fix it myself.
This prompted me to ring the store where I purchased my computer.

Here is how to fix your computer if this happens to you:
Do a Google search for the company of the computer you own in my case it was Sony in New Zealand.
The will walk you through how to restore your computer to the original factory setup.

This solution if for those who dont have an boot up disk or that does not work.

He told me to start my computer and keep hitting the F10 button which ask you to go through some prompts just follow the steps and it will fix your computer.

Thank you for all your help.

Juanita

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Kia Ora Juanita,

Thanks for the follow up and glad to hear you worked it out.

The System recovery option is perfect for those without an operating System CD / DVD that can't boot their pc into the operating system.

Most manufacturers give the recovery partition instead with OEM operating system installs.

In the case of HP / Compaq they will offer 2 options when using system recovery. "Non-destructive Recovery" and "Destructive Recovery". A destructive recovery will wipe all user documents and files and restore the pc to factory condition. A non-destructive recovery is meant to preserve all user data and repair the operating system.

The method to access System recovery is the same, hit the F10 key during start-up when prompted.

You should have the option somewhere to create your own restore discs... now that you have your computer up and running you should create them immediately. If something happens to your hard drive, you'll have a much easier time if you have the restore discs handy.

rydonwunali

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Thank you. You really helped me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.