Final Thoughts on CoH

Just finished my first year of CoH, and I'm pretty sure I'm done with
the game for a while. I had a great time, but I've done pretty much
everything I can do in the current system. I don't really care for PvP
so the arena doesn't hold any interest, but I'll keep monitoring the
boards.

My cast of characters (all on Justice)

lvl 50 DM/Regen scrapper
lvl 39 AR/Dev Blaster
lvl 36 Inv/SS tanker
lvl 32 Emp/Energy Defender

(assorted under 20 lowbies as well)

The game changed quite a bit over the last year going from City of
Blasters to City of Melee. I've had my scrapper nerfed quite a few
times but he was always a min/maxed build (tough, weave, stamina,
combat jumping, hasten) so he felt the pinch less than a non min/maxed
build (though he was in his 40's by the time Integration was given its
healing component). My AR/DEV blaster lived through the Smoke Grenade
fix (and specced out of it not too long ago). My tanker wasn't really
played until Unyielding Stance was changed to Unyielding (total concept
toon).

Statesman replied to a private message that ANY build that could solo
an AV would get looked at. That's a LOT of nerfage coming down the
pike. I'll sit out the next few months and see how things shake out.

And no...you can't have my stuff!!!!

<angelusCOH@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Statesman replied to a private message that ANY build that could solo
> an AV would get looked at. That's a LOT of nerfage coming down the
> pike.

I agree with that.

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:26:35 GMT, Andy Pear <Andy_Pear@Spamhawk.com> wrote:

> <angelusCOH@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Statesman replied to a private message that ANY build that could solo
> > an AV would get looked at. That's a LOT of nerfage coming down the
> > pike.
>
> I agree with that.

Of course, Statesman has also said that he recognizes that the
capabilities of expert players and newbies were very different, and
he's trying to balance for both--so when he hears about some major
feet of hero pwnage, he has to ask himself "is this because the class
is overpowered or is it just that the player is that good?"

I'd provide an exact quote and link, but the forums are down for
maintenance at the moment.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |

Robotech_Master wrote:

> Of course, Statesman has also said that he recognizes that the
> capabilities of expert players and newbies were very different, and
> he's trying to balance for both--so when he hears about some major
> feet of hero pwnage, he has to ask himself "is this because the class
> is overpowered or is it just that the player is that good?"

I've soloed AVs. There is no skill involved. You just stand there and trade
shots with them. Either you have the power to take them down or you don't.

--
Dennis F. Heffernan CoH: Venture (Virtue) hefferman@comcast.net
#include <disclaim.h> MS Messenger: Venture

"And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
when Victoria reigned!" -- T.S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"

Dennis Francis Heffernan <hefferman@comcast.net> wrote:
> I've soloed AVs. There is no skill involved. You just stand
> there and trade shots with them. Either you have the power to take
> them down or you don't.

"Either you're slotted Invuln/Regen, or you're not." :)

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

Shenanigunner wrote:

> "Either you're slotted Invuln/Regen, or you're not." :)

I used perma-Elude for the Countess and portal Adamastor, actually. :) My
DM/Regen has only soloed Terra so far.

Tried the Psychic Clockwork King but had trouble with him, and eventually got
a friend to help out.

--
Dennis F. Heffernan CoH: Venture (Virtue) hefferman@comcast.net
#include <disclaim.h> MS Messenger: Venture

"And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
when Victoria reigned!" -- T.S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"

Dennis Francis Heffernan <hefferman@comcast.net> looked up from reading
the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
signs say:

>Robotech_Master wrote:
>
>> Of course, Statesman has also said that he recognizes that the
>> capabilities of expert players and newbies were very different, and
>> he's trying to balance for both--so when he hears about some major
>> feet of hero pwnage, he has to ask himself "is this because the class
>> is overpowered or is it just that the player is that good?"
>
> I've soloed AVs. There is no skill involved. You just stand there and trade
>shots with them. Either you have the power to take them down or you don't.

Actually i'd say there's 3 things that go into soloing an AV.
1. Playing an AT/build that has a chance to do so.
2. Skill: knowing what inspirations you'll need and how many, knowing if
your attacks are slotted properly for that AV, etc. Usually requires
trying to fight the AV and failing (or dying) and then shuffling things
around till you find a technique that will work. Regen will have to run
away from some AVs periodically since they'll out damage the healing
rate. Out damage issue 2 levels of healing rate at that.
3. Luck: How many times did they manage to hit you, how many times did
you flub your attack on the AV - it's often the difference between life
and death.
For example: I soloed the Psychic Clockwork King, and AV most people
consider unsoloable for regen since his psychic wail can one-shot.
Either he missed me because I was moving, or he just didn't use it at
all.

As Julie d'Aubigny once said "You seem to be really lucky soloing AVs
with a reputation for one-shotting regens."

Hopkins (brickstown TF): weak - just a plain stand and fight
PCK, Malaise, Countess Crey, Nemesis Rex, Nemesis: all just stand and
fight till they died

Terra: I had to load up on damage inspirations and change my slotting
in order to out damage her regen rate, since she resists smashing
damage.

Envoy of Shadows: Required tough and or breaking contact to heal,
required 3rd stage damage inspirations in order to damage him enough
before he could use healing flames again.

Antimatter: soloable with enough heal insps

Adamastor: soloable with insps/breaks to run and heal

Nosferatu: unsoloable

Infernal: unsoloable - repeated 1 and 2 shots

Madame of Mystery: unsoloable - could not out damage her regen

Neuron: unsoloable - 2 shotted repeatedly

Black Swan: unsoloable

Nightstar: unsoloable

Marauder: unsoloable - simply could not out damage his regen no matter
what I tried

Shadow Hunter: unsoloable - one shotted

Battle Maiden: unsoloable one and two shotted me repeatedly

I think there were 2-3 more I faced that were unsoloable by me, but
don't recall the names.

Most of the ones that were unsoloable by me, were soloable by a fire
controller with imps.

From Darke Exile's sig on the forums:
Soloed: Envoy, Countess Crey, Bobcat, Shadowhunter, Anti-Matter,
Vanessa, Infernal, Dominatrix, Nightstar, Marauder, Battle Maiden,
Chimera, Tyrant, Giovanna

Xocyll