Text file viewer for Palm?

September 18, 2004 8:53:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

Is there a basic text file view for Palm? I use TextPad for my PC and I'd
love something very similar to that. I don't need any stupid Word,
Access, other shitty M$ format support :)
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)

More about : text file viewer palm

Anonymous
September 20, 2004 7:41:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote in

> Is there a basic text file view for Palm? I use TextPad for my PC and
> I'd love something very similar to that. I don't need any stupid
> Word, Access, other shitty M$ format support :)

There are several freeware text viewers. Google will find them, or you can
check freewarepalm.com, pdagreen.com, palmgear.com, handango.com, etc.
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 7:41:50 AM

On 20 Sep 2004 03:41:49 GMT, Stan Gosnell <me@work.com> spewed:
>> Is there a basic text file view for Palm? I use TextPad for my PC and
>> I'd love something very similar to that. I don't need any stupid
>> Word, Access, other shitty M$ format support :)
>
>There are several freeware text viewers. Google will find them, or you can
>check freewarepalm.com, pdagreen.com, palmgear.com, handango.com, etc.

Ah, hadn't heard of the 1st 2.
Have you used any? Have a pref.?
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
September 21, 2004 9:30:22 AM

> Ah, hadn't heard of the 1st 2.
> Have you used any? Have a pref.?

I use them pretty much interchangeably. No particular preference -
whichever has what I want and shows it easily.

If you want something like notepad which also edits text files, try SiEd.
It's the best text editor I've found.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 11:47:39 AM

Do a search for Qed, a cheap and very small(40k) editor that will do
all you could ever want. I use it on my palm Zire (2Mb Memory)

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:16:05 -0700,
see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

>On 20 Sep 2004 03:41:49 GMT, Stan Gosnell <me@work.com> spewed:
>>> Is there a basic text file view for Palm? I use TextPad for my PC
and
>>> I'd love something very similar to that. I don't need any stupid
>>> Word, Access, other shitty M$ format support :)
>>
>>There are several freeware text viewers. Google will find them, or
you can
>>check freewarepalm.com, pdagreen.com, palmgear.com, handango.com,
etc.

>Ah, hadn't heard of the 1st 2.
>Have you used any? Have a pref.?

Neil McMullen
Please reply to Group as my email is fake.
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 1:10:55 PM

On 21 Sep 2004 05:30:22 GMT, Stan Gosnell <me@work.com> spewed:
>> Ah, hadn't heard of the 1st 2.
>> Have you used any? Have a pref.?
>
>I use them pretty much interchangeably. No particular preference -
>whichever has what I want and shows it easily.
>
>If you want something like notepad which also edits text files, try SiEd.
>It's the best text editor I've found.

Ya, guess I shoulda said "editor" instead of viewer.
Ya know you're always gonna want to change something when you're looking
at that notes.txt file :)

Do you know offhand where to find it? I can sift thru the search if ya
don't.
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 1:10:57 PM

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 07:47:39 +0200, abuse@tiscali.co.za spewed:
>Do a search for Qed, a cheap and very small(40k) editor that will do
>all you could ever want. I use it on my palm Zire (2Mb Memory)

Ya, small is good :)  I'll have to check that out too.
Any relation to an old DOS editor called QEdit?

>On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:16:05 -0700,
>see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
>
>>On 20 Sep 2004 03:41:49 GMT, Stan Gosnell <me@work.com> spewed:
>and
>>>
>>>There are several freeware text viewers. Google will find them, or
>you can
>>>check freewarepalm.com, pdagreen.com, palmgear.com, handango.com,
>etc.
>>
>>Ah, hadn't heard of the 1st 2.
>>Have you used any? Have a pref.?
>
>Neil McMullen
>Please reply to Group as my email is fake.

For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 2:24:56 AM

No relation, although I called it a text editor, you have to change
the files to .pdb first (compresses them) and the application to do
this comes free with Qed.

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:10:57 -0700,
see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 07:47:39 +0200, abuse@tiscali.co.za spewed:
>>Do a search for Qed, a cheap and very small(40k) editor that will do
>>all you could ever want. I use it on my palm Zire (2Mb Memory)
>>
>Ya, small is good :)  I'll have to check that out too.
>Any relation to an old DOS editor called QEdit?
>

>>On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:16:05 -0700,
>>see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
>>
>>>On 20 Sep 2004 03:41:49 GMT, Stan Gosnell <me@work.com> spewed:
PC
>>and

>>you can
>>etc.
>>>
>>>Ah, hadn't heard of the 1st 2.
>>>Have you used any? Have a pref.?
>>
>>Neil McMullen
>>Please reply to Group as my email is fake.

Neil McMullen
Please reply to Group as my email is fake.
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 9:14:48 AM

> Do you know offhand where to find it? I can sift thru the search if
> ya don't.

Not offhand. Google will find it easily. I see QED was mentioned above.
I have it, but I don't like it very much. I far prefer SiEd. But both are
free, so you may as well try both and see which you prefer. SiEd makes a
very good programming editor, if you're into doing programming on your
Palm. It integrates with OnboardC very well.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 12:22:59 PM

On 22 Sep 2004 05:14:48 GMT, Stan Gosnell <me@work.com> wrote:

>see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote in
>
>> Do you know offhand where to find it? I can sift thru the search
if
>> ya don't.
>
>Not offhand. Google will find it easily. I see QED was mentioned
above.
>I have it, but I don't like it very much. I far prefer SiEd. But
both are
>free, so you may as well try both and see which you prefer. SiEd
makes a
>very good programming editor, if you're into doing programming on
your
>Palm. It integrates with OnboardC very well.

Qed is not free, You pay for it if you keep it. What does SiEd do that
Qed does not please, I would like to know.

Neil McMullen
Please reply to Group as my email is fake.
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 3:46:25 AM

abuse@tiscali.co.za wrote in news:9e62l0h28d9fego7gka0lgm1v0463bs2fb@
4ax.com:

> Qed is not free, You pay for it if you keep it. What does SiEd do that
> Qed does not please, I would like to know.

I don't know. The user interface is so poor that I just abandoned it. It
was admittedly a subjective decision.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 12:38:13 PM

On 22 Sep 2004 23:46:25 GMT, Stan Gosnell <me@work.com> wrote:

>abuse@tiscali.co.za wrote in news:9e62l0h28d9fego7gka0lgm1v0463bs2fb@
>4ax.com:
>
>> Qed is not free, You pay for it if you keep it. What does SiEd do
that
>> Qed does not please, I would like to know.
>
>I don't know. The user interface is so poor that I just abandoned
it. It
>was admittedly a subjective decision.

Strange, I tried about 5 different progs before deciding on Qed and I
think it's great! YMMV
The size of it was the main thing, I only have 2Mb to play with.
neil

Neil McMullen
Please reply to Group as my email is fake.
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 7:07:33 PM

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:24:56 +0200, abuse@tiscali.co.za spewed:
>No relation, although I called it a text editor, you have to change
>the files to .pdb first (compresses them) and the application to do
>this comes free with Qed.

Ya, that's what I'm hoping to avoid. I'd like to just dump a bunch of txt
files into hotsync, have the damn thing actually put them on the Palm, and
use it like that. So far no dice :(
Same goes for PDFs (damn I HATE that format), HTML, and Word .doc files.
Anything do it?

Tried Qed and SiEd.
At a glance I liked SiEd better to, but didn't get either to recognize
regular filetypes and force Hotsync to let them sync as "recognized" file
formats.

I also Tried MegaDoc, which actually crashed my Treo 600 and didn't work
at all! :(
But, I've been getting alot of stuff crashing it lately, so might not
happen to everybody. Might be that I have never updated my firmware or
something, dunno.

For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 7:07:35 PM

On 22 Sep 2004 05:14:48 GMT, Stan Gosnell <me@work.com> spewed:
>> Do you know offhand where to find it? I can sift thru the search if
>> ya don't.
>
>Not offhand. Google will find it easily. I see QED was mentioned above.
>I have it, but I don't like it very much. I far prefer SiEd. But both are
>free, so you may as well try both and see which you prefer. SiEd makes a
>very good programming editor, if you're into doing programming on your
>Palm. It integrates with OnboardC very well.

Do you have to use a converter to get it to pdb format first?
Didn't work for me just putting txt files in the install thing with Palm
Desktop.
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 10:36:39 AM

> Do you have to use a converter to get it to pdb format first?
> Didn't work for me just putting txt files in the install thing with
> Palm Desktop.

Hotsyncing won't work with text files. I use a card reader and put them on
my SD card, where the editors can access them easily. You might be able to
hotsync them to the card, by dragging the files to the QuickInstall app. I
haven't tried that, because I don't install anything via hotsync. Too
slow, too problematic. A card reader is the way to go.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 6:22:27 PM

On 05 Oct 2004 06:36:39 GMT, Stan Gosnell <me@work.com> spewed:
>> Do you have to use a converter to get it to pdb format first?
>> Didn't work for me just putting txt files in the install thing with
>> Palm Desktop.
>
>Hotsyncing won't work with text files. I use a card reader and put them on
>my SD card, where the editors can access them easily. You might be able to
>hotsync them to the card, by dragging the files to the QuickInstall app. I
>haven't tried that, because I don't install anything via hotsync. Too
>slow, too problematic. A card reader is the way to go.

Yeah, I haven't had any luck with it yet. Even found an app that claimed
to set up something like file associations in Winblows on the Palm, and
then force it to synch them, but it didn't work. I forget the name of it
offhand since I deleted it, something Vxx, or some 3 letter abbr. with V
in it :)
I'm really hoping to figure some way though, especially since one comp. I
sync it on doesn't have USB and I use the IR.

I don't see anything called Quick Install. Just Install Tool.
And I'm using the latest ver. of Palm Desktop too..

But man, how stupid! There's programs to read txt files, but no easy way
to put them on! Who's the genius we can thank for that one!? :)

!