Windows has recovered from a serious error (cycles)

BigJim

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
I put a new computer together for a friend of mine last night. It consists of the following:

EVGA 320-P2-N815-AR 8800GTS 320 1 $299.99 $299.99

HD 320G|WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD3200AAKS 1 $79.99 $79.99

MB GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R 775 1 $139.99 $139.99

MEM 1Gx2|G.SKILL F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ 1 $104.99 $104.99

PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-520HX RT 1 $129.99 $129.99

CASE ANTEC|NINE HUNDRED BK RT 1 $139.99 $139.99

CPU INTEL|C2D E6600 2.4G 775 4M R 1 $223.90 $223.90

Everything seemed to load fine. I even got dsl hooked up and was on-line downloading windows update. But here is where I ran into issues.

After downloading service pack 2 I went to restart the computer and it said the "Windows has recovered from a serious error" would you like to start in safe mode, last known good configuration etc. I tried to select safe mode and I could not even move the highlight to select it as in my keyboard would not work. I hit enter etc and nothing so I let the 30 second timer count down and it goes to the windows logo screen like it's starting up and I get the blue screen of death only it flashes up for maybe 1 second (I don't have any time to read what it says) at the most then the computer restarts and it goes right back to the "Windows has recovered from a serious error" message.

I never messed with the bios but I did finally go into it to change my boot sequence to my cd burner so I could boot from my windows disc. Wierd thing was my keyboard worked fine moving around in the bios screen. Now that I changed my boot sequence I start up the computer and get the "press any key to start from the windows cd" so hit a key and nothing as in my keyboard is not working again and from that point it eventually goes back to square 1 and the "windows has recovered from a serious error" message.

I have tried everything from trying to load windows again to clearing the cmos and it just cycles the windows error message. I have no clue why my keyboard won't work to select how I want to start up from the serious error message or to hit any key to start windows from my cd rom. It works fine in my bios menu.

Again, everything seemed to work fine until I downloaded service pack 2 and tried to restart. All I want to do is try to find a way to just reload windows from the disc but my keyboard doesn't work. I tried another keyboard and get the same results.Anyways I have searched everywhere and cannot find anything close to a problem like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.