Please critique my system

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Hi everyone, I've been upgrading slowly, and finally have put all the core components together. Because of the duration of the time it took me to get a complete upgrade, I would really like you guys to give me a very subjective view on my new(ish) build. A few pieces still need to be ordered, they are the ones with a '*' beside them, but I still want to hear if I should of went a different route with any one component, regardless if I bought it already or not.

*Lian-Li PC-A12
OCZ GameXStream 600watt
Asus P5B-Plus
Intel C2D E6300
Corsair XMS2 2048MB 5400C4
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB SC
SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music

2x WD 2500KS 250GB
*2x Seagate 7200.10 500GB
*1x LG SATA DVD Burner

*Thermalright SI-128 w/ Scythe S-Flex SFF21F
*2x Scythe S-Flex SFF21F (Case Fans)

I can hit my overclocking goal, 3.15ghz (450x7), but due to heat I run it at 400x7 for the moment until I get my new HSF. My memory can handle 900mhz 5-5-5-15 2.1v no problem (I was kind of surprised too). 1-Will the extra airflow from a down-firing cpu fan be enough to keep my memory and northbridge temps in check? Right now at full load cpu hits 82 degrees (TAT), and my northbridge about 55 degrees (PC Wizard 2007). I realize thats incredibly hot, but in regular use, my cpu usage is almost never 100%, and I don't plan on sticking with stock cooling for very long (3 weeks at most). 2-Other then the thermalright HR-03 plus are there any other methods to bringing my 8800GTS temps down? I jacked up the fan to 90%, and it keeps the temp in acceptable levels now, it doesn't need to scale down performance anymore after a long gaming session, load is about 77 degrees. Also, chances are I'm replacing my soundcard with the new auzentech card based on the X-Fi chip. 3-Do you think this is a smart move?
Thank you guys for any input!

Daredevil_8

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
1. You -should- be alright. If things get too hot for you, you might want to consider water cooling.
2. Thats a really good GPU Cooler, I don't really see any other way to cool it more than better PC air flow or water cooling. You could try some PCI slot exhaust fans around it Here's some on Newegg

3. Is there a reason that the X-fi card isn't good enough for you? I had an x-fi and compared to my onboard hi-def audio it wasn't -that- much better (not enough to justify the expense). If it sounds good, there isn't a reason to upgrade, is there?

drew455

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
sounds like a decent system. i think your main concern should be your temps. a hsf will probably not be enough to lower the temps on your mem and northbridge. as for the cpu you should consider slowing it down a little. even with a new hsf it will probably not bring it down into acceptable levels. you shouldnt be able to cook eggs on your cpu so by acceptable i mean around 50 or at most 60 degrees.

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
1. I actually have been considering water cooling. But if I did go that route, I would do it right, and thus spend allot of money, we'll see what the si-128 does for my temps for the near future. If my CPU temp doesn't stay under 60 degrees full load, motherboard under 50, I might consider some better cooling.

2. The biggest concern I have with the Thermalright HR-03 plus is the extra heat it will put into my case. I'm not sure a single 120mm exhaust fan will be enough. But as I guessed, there is no after market cooling solutions other then the HR-03 plus.

3. Three reasons, the current x-fi I have crackles and pops on occasion (once every couple hours). While it's not common, it's still annoying. Also, the simple fact it has no digital or optical out on the soundcard is really disappointing, considering I have the Z-5500. And finally, the simple fact that Creative just owns the PC sound card market with and iron fist, gives them no incentive to make good drives, auzentech, while they have there fair share of driver issues, I think they have a little more respect and place more importance on there customers.