X1900 XT Beeping during games

Jetpac

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
My X1900 XT (pcie) in the last few weeks has started beeping when i play games, every time it beeps it also affects the display with a couple of funny coloured lines for a fraction of a second.

this happens with all full screen games, icluding older ones such as HALO:CE
i dont think its over heating as i would have had this happen before i would have guessed?

any help on how to stop this is appreciated

Maitai

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
How long have u had it, and are u overclocking it?If so, umight be damaging it. Otherwise u u should try tech support at ati.com or crossfire, especially if it's still under warranty.Just having it replaced would be much safer than tampering with possibilities, no matter what anyone says might be wrong. tech support would give u proffesional advice on what to try anyway, and it shouldn't affect warranty if something goes wrong while using their help.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Almost certainly overheating - check to make sure there isn't an accumulation of dust built up over time in the fan. Check your case fans and CPU fan as well whilst you're at it - if one is clogged, they all are.

Jetpac

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
right well ill give it a go at cleaning, but i havnt seen any noticable change in usual temperatures :S

how do i go about cleaning out an X1900xt with stock cooler?

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
If not disassembling, I clean my fans with a small paint brush and a hoover nozzle just underneath. Take care not to whack the hoover into the ssytem though - the static buildup on one of those can be high and you don't want to go earthing it on a component or the motherboard...