Help!! P4 overheating when idle!

betrayer_

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
A friend of mine got a P4 3.0GHz pc and the thing kept shutting down on its own. It would just boot up and then crash.

We checked and found that the fan was installed in reverse (air flow downwards).

So we reinstalled in correctly and monitored the temp in BIOS. It reached 65-70c in BIOS!!!!!!!

It still crashes as soon as windows starts up. It crashes when temp reaches over 70c.

Can the processor be busted or something due to over heat?

Any help??

Bobsama

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
How is the case's cooling? Did the HSF happen to be taken off the CPU? Remove the HSF, clean it, reapply compound, then try it again.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Fan is supposed to blow down towards motherboard, helps cool voltage regulators near CPU. Check again that cooler is fully locked down on all 4 corners, is common for opposite corner to pop up when securing final point. As previous post, if you remove HS from CPU, you MUST clean off the old grese and apply fresh. If it is reaching 70C while you watch in BIOS it is NOT making good contact with heatsink.

Mike.

Almost every fan blows downwards towards the heat sink.

The second thing you want to make sure is get rid of the stock cooler for the Intel processor and get an aftermarket one that actually does something.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
You don't need a new cooler. It is not making good contact. Reseat it and put new thermal compound on it. If it was making good contact even without a fan the system should power on for several minutes while the heatsink slowely builds up heat. I can stop the fan on my Big typhoon and the cpu will take about 10mins on full load to hit high temps.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
You don't need a new cooler. It is not making good contact. Reseat it and put new thermal compound on it. If it was making good contact even without a fan the system should power on for several minutes while the heatsink slowely builds up heat. I can stop the fan on my Big typhoon and the cpu will take about 10mins on full load to hit high temps.
Keep the cooler, reseat as others have said. Can't really say that it'll power for a number of minutes with just the heatsink on - remember its a prescott, not a conroe.
Also make sure you apply thermal grease properly. CPU fans should blow down into the heatsink, this way they pull the cooler air from the outer part of the case and blow in, cooling the voltage caps as the air blows out.
Not really sure how you reinstalled the cooler to make it blow away from the heatsink - make sure the fan is blowing the way it was when it was new.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
stinky dells install reverse flow fans to pull air from the rear vent to cool the cpu.

they are called snells or snail dells

sounds like you need to reinstall the hs with better compound or more of it

Aurora18

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
i had a similar problem try a larger tower for added air circulation with a 120mm fan sucking air in, in the front and a 120mm fan blowing air out the back

TRENDING THREADS