USB mapped drive problem

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hey everyone,

I am running Windows XP Pro. and have a number of drives mapped. My last
drive is G:. Now I need to install another USB device. The problem is that
it wont map to drive D:. It seems to want to use G:. If I dismount the G:
drive and THEN plug in the new USB device (Hard Drive) it will take drive G:
and everything works fine. Anyone know why it wont take drive H:? Thnaks
for any input.

Clayton
10 answers Last reply
More about mapped drive problem
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Clayton Sutton wrote:
    > I am running Windows XP Pro. and have a number of drives mapped. My
    > last drive is G:. Now I need to install another USB device. The
    > problem is that it wont map to drive D:. It seems to want to use G:.
    > If I dismount the G: drive and THEN plug in the new USB device (Hard
    > Drive) it will take drive G: and everything works fine. Anyone know
    > why it wont take drive H:? Thnaks for any input.

    Badly written code.
    At least that is my determination so far.
    I have had thumb drives refuse to be anything but E.. Had to give them E
    and reassign in Disk Manager to something else before they would stop doing
    that. And then it seemed to be a per-user thing.

    Try reassigning your G temporarily to something else.. Let the drive grab G,
    use Disk manager to give it another drive letter, disconnect it, reconnect
    to your normal G, plug it back in.. Did that work?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Thanks Shenan,

    I'll give that a try and report back.

    Clayton

    > Clayton Sutton wrote:
    >> I am running Windows XP Pro. and have a number of drives mapped. My
    >> last drive is G:. Now I need to install another USB device. The
    >> problem is that it wont map to drive D:. It seems to want to use G:.
    >> If I dismount the G: drive and THEN plug in the new USB device (Hard
    >> Drive) it will take drive G: and everything works fine. Anyone know
    >> why it wont take drive H:? Thnaks for any input.
    >
    > Badly written code.
    > At least that is my determination so far.
    > I have had thumb drives refuse to be anything but E.. Had to give them E
    > and reassign in Disk Manager to something else before they would stop
    > doing that. And then it seemed to be a per-user thing.
    >
    > Try reassigning your G temporarily to something else.. Let the drive grab
    > G, use Disk manager to give it another drive letter, disconnect it,
    > reconnect to your normal G, plug it back in.. Did that work?
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Hey Shenan,

    That worked! It even worked AFTER a reboot. Thanks for your help.

    Clayton

    > Clayton Sutton wrote:
    >> I am running Windows XP Pro. and have a number of drives mapped. My
    >> last drive is G:. Now I need to install another USB device. The
    >> problem is that it wont map to drive D:. It seems to want to use G:.
    >> If I dismount the G: drive and THEN plug in the new USB device (Hard
    >> Drive) it will take drive G: and everything works fine. Anyone know
    >> why it wont take drive H:? Thnaks for any input.
    >
    > Badly written code.
    > At least that is my determination so far.
    > I have had thumb drives refuse to be anything but E.. Had to give them E
    > and reassign in Disk Manager to something else before they would stop
    > doing that. And then it seemed to be a per-user thing.
    >
    > Try reassigning your G temporarily to something else.. Let the drive grab
    > G, use Disk manager to give it another drive letter, disconnect it,
    > reconnect to your normal G, plug it back in.. Did that work?
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Clayton Sutton wrote:
    > Hey Shenan,
    >
    > That worked! It even worked AFTER a reboot. Thanks for your help.

    Glad to hear it!

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    For auto mapping, Local drives map from A-Z, Network drives map from
    Z-A. If you map drives yourself then you have to sort it yourself.

    Clayton Sutton wrote:

    > Hey everyone,
    >
    > I am running Windows XP Pro. and have a number of drives mapped. My last
    > drive is G:. Now I need to install another USB device. The problem is that
    > it wont map to drive D:. It seems to want to use G:. If I dismount the G:
    > drive and THEN plug in the new USB device (Hard Drive) it will take drive G:
    > and everything works fine. Anyone know why it wont take drive H:? Thnaks
    > for any input.
    >

    > Clayton

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "Clayton Sutton" <none@none.com> wrote:

    >Hey everyone,
    >
    >I am running Windows XP Pro. and have a number of drives mapped. My last
    >drive is G:. Now I need to install another USB device. The problem is that
    >it wont map to drive D:. It seems to want to use G:. If I dismount the G:
    >drive and THEN plug in the new USB device (Hard Drive) it will take drive G:
    >and everything works fine. Anyone know why it wont take drive H:? Thnaks
    >for any input.

    Seems to be a WinXP bug. In my experience, the USB drive always takes
    the letter right after your last hard drive partition, regardless of
    whether something else (like a network drive) already has it. I've
    taken to not using that letter for network mappings, leaving it
    available for USB drives.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    Not a bug, it's been standard NT mapping for a long time. Local go A-Z,
    network goes Z-A.

    Bob I wrote:

    > Not a bug, it's been standard NT mapping for a long time. Local go A-Z,
    > network goes Z-A.

    It's only a "bug" if you use some other and older networking standard,
    such as Novell, which has always mapped F-Z, but then Windows networking
    and Novell networking have always been at odds in some way or other.

    Steve

    > Tim Slattery wrote:
    >
    >> "Clayton Sutton" <none@none.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hey everyone,
    >>>
    >>> I am running Windows XP Pro. and have a number of drives mapped. My
    >>> last drive is G:. Now I need to install another USB device. The
    >>> problem is that it wont map to drive D:. It seems to want to use
    >>> G:. If I dismount the G: drive and THEN plug in the new USB device
    >>> (Hard Drive) it will take drive G: and everything works fine. Anyone
    >>> know why it wont take drive H:? Thnaks for any input.
    >>

    >> Seems to be a WinXP bug. In my experience, the USB drive always takes
    >> the letter right after your last hard drive partition, regardless of
    >> whether something else (like a network drive) already has it. I've
    >> taken to not using that letter for network mappings, leaving it
    >> available for USB drives.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Not a bug, it's been standard NT mapping for a long time. Local go A-Z,
    >network goes Z-A.

    It's not a bug if a newly arrived device takes a letter that's already
    in use? Sure looks like a bug to me!

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    >> Try reassigning your G temporarily to something else.. Let the drive
    >> grab G, use Disk manager to give it another drive letter, disconnect
    >> it, reconnect to your normal G, plug it back in.. Did that work?
    >
    > Clayton Sutton wrote:
    >> Hey Shenan,
    >>
    >> That worked! It even worked AFTER a reboot. Thanks for your help.

    BTW, if you will attach different USB Mass Storage device, it will assign
    G to the new device. Long-term solution would be to permanently change
    the letter(s) of your CD/DVDs (which are somewhere between D and G
    I assume) to P,Q,R,S and so on, for example.

    Roman

Microsoft USB Windows XP