va8003bws and zalman 9700

hippomofatumas

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
hi all, im planning on a q6600 after the july 22 price drop, looking at a gigabyte ga-p35c-ds3r at the moment. i know i might not be able to but id liek to get close to 400 fsb, maybe 350 or something, so i want great cooling. no water though. so i figure the zalman cnps 9700 (i think i got that right doin this from memory) should be enough. will that definitely fit in a thermaltake va8003bws? its a huge full tower with 2 12 cm 2 9 cm and one huge side 25cm fan so i know itll be cool, but that hearsink/fan will fit right?

zooairz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Hippo,

I have a Tt Armor case with the big 25cm fan on the side with a Zalman 9700. If your case is the same, it will fit fine with plenty of room. The mobo (and risers) with the HSF fits very comfortably.

Jer

hippomofatumas

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
thanks, are you happy with your case and hsf? this is gonna be the first comp i build from the ground up. im looking for some good guides on mobo install and cpu install w/ arctic silver instructions. heatsink install as well. i can do power supply, and ram, but i dont wanna break any of the harder stuff.

zooairz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
This was only my second build and I certainly made some mistakes. That is where I learned though.

1) Empty the case
2) place PSU
3) Then MOBO stuff

With reference to the HSF, I put too much Arctic Silver 5 on at first and it was a bad conduction of heat. For that CPU, AS5 should go in a small line across the chip, in the middle, (like you are crossing off the writing on the chip. then place the HSF on top. It will form a nice small oval on the chip which the company describes in the online directions.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_quad_wcap.pdf

Look at page 4 of the pdf file above. Good pic there.

There are much better notes out there on putting together a PC, look for stickies to this effect.

Hope that helps.

Jer

hippomofatumas

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
wow good arctic five info. shoulda looked myself. but thanks mucho.

i have looked up some instructions on all the install, and i think i get most of it, not all that hard, but im gonna want someone holding my internet hand while i create my computer baby. lol

thanks for the help.

zooairz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Hippo,

I had all sorts of little questions here and there about building when I was putting mine together. I don't have any links but I actually found youtube.com to have some decent instructional videos for people like us. It is good to see someone do it.

Check 3dgamerman at his site and he puts all his videos on you tube. Also just search case modding, building a pc etc. You will have to weed out some stuff, but it is helpful or has been for me.

Just so you know, and I hope it goes smoothly.

Jer

TRENDING THREADS