Raptor or Raptor X, Help Please

Kronos76

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Okay, silly question, or maybe I haven’t done enough reading, can someone tell me what the difference is between these two models of Raptors, and I don’t mean just an X or H/D in the name (For all the funny people)

Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFDRTL 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFDRTL 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Raptor X has a clear window on top to let you see the internal parts. Some cases even have spots for the Raptor X so you can see it from the outside.

Kronos76

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Come on, you have to be kidding, is that it, someone would actually pay extra for a window on a harddrive. Okay, a window on a car, a house, even a window seat on a train or airplane, but paying extra for a window on a harddrive, tell me it isn’t the only reason, please! :eek:

sailer

Splendid
Would we kid you? Really, the window is there so you can see what's inside. Before you install the drive, that is, because once installed, who can see it? And yes, that little piece of plastic is the only difference that $50 buys you. Amazing isn't it, how many fools will pay $50 for something that makes no difference in performance and can't be seen or anything else?

sailer

Splendid
Not that I treat my hard drives so roughly that I might break the window, but that is something to think about. The last drive I had which failed miserably was taken to a rifle range for some target practice. I don't think the company was going to warrenty it after that either.

Kronos76

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Okay, I am convinced now that the PC market has now become so user friendly that not only do the people who should not own PCs now own PCs, and you know who I am talking about, but I believe these same people are now building there own PCs now too. Now wonder we have Geek Squad and suck around. Well, my congratulations on WD since they cashed in on this craze!!!!

Kronos76

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
My Thanks for the insight, I was starting to think it was just me.... Wait, maybe it is just me. I have an ideal, perhaps I should go and see if I can sell the idea of a see through CPU to AMD, who knows, they may be open to the concept!

sailer

Splendid
My Thanks for the insight, I was starting to think it was just me.... Wait, maybe it is just me. I have an ideal, perhaps I should go and see if I can sell the idea of a see through CPU to AMD, who knows, they may be open to the concept!

Please!! There are enough delays from AMD as it is! Do you want them to go through even more developement, delay, excuses, more delay, etc while they try to incorperate such a thing? 8O

Kronos76

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007

Please!! There are enough delays from AMD as it is! Do you want them to go through even more developement, delay, excuses, more delay, etc while they try to incorperate such a thing? 8O
:D LMAO :D

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Would we kid you? Really, the window is there so you can see what's inside. Before you install the drive, that is, because once installed, who can see it? And yes, that little piece of plastic is the only difference that $50 buys you. Amazing isn't it, how many fools will pay $50 for something that makes no difference in performance and can't be seen or anything else?
Clearly Sailer is underestimating the important role the e-penis plays in a true geek's life.

I personally feel its all rather silly, but I also think that about a $5000 gaming rig... and people still buy those!

Kronos76

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Are you saying I should go and get my money back from Dell for the new water cooled system I bought from them......

Okay, just kidding :D .

Not to get off subject but if game systems now adays can cost up to 1000.00, than a solid gaming PC could certinaly fund 1500-2000. I don't know about 5000.00, I mean can see how someone could spend that much, i just don't know why.

sailer

Splendid
Not to get off subject but if game systems now adays can cost up to 1000.00, than a solid gaming PC could certinaly fund 1500-2000. I don't know about 5000.00, I mean can see how someone could spend that much, i just don't know why.

Well, spending $5000 for a gaming computer is easy. First, you buy it instead of build it yourself. Then you indulge yourself in a bunch of hardware that will be obsolete in 6 months so that for a few days you can get really great scores in 3DMark06. Then someone else's machine with newer hardware will beat yours. Of course, there is the thrill of having that super system.

Of course, for those who really have a lot of money that they don't need, they can buy the best of the line from Falcon Northwest and then kiss off $10,000 or more. And again, in 6 months or so it will be obsolete. But think of the nice case they have!

Kronos76

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
But for a few days I could be #1. (NOT)

Hum, lets consider this, 5000 = 7days fun. $715 a day, to have fun, lets see after taxes must be like 1125 a day.

Okay, who ever has that kind of money to through away I have one thing to say,

I live at XXXXXXX please send the next computer my way

sailer

Splendid
Clearly Sailer is underestimating the important role the e-penis plays in a true geek's life.

Ah gee, I realize that I have some deficiencies in my computer's, ah, shall we say attachments? But I'm working on it, I mean on my computer. I even bought a new keyboard today. :) Some day I might even update the cpu and motherboard.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
I have a Raptor X myself....and for the 15-20 dollars extra, or whatever it is I say it is worth it. The glass is not flimsy at all, youre not going to break it. It looks very cool in my XCLIO A380 Case....you can see the spindle searching for information thru the side window. Why not get it? It's a cool thing to show the friends. I have also heard that the Raptor X generally has better sectors than the normal Raptor 150....my friend told me this not sure if its true, but just some speculation for you. I am very pleased with it....no matter which one you buy you will be happy.

sailer

Splendid
I have also heard that the Raptor X generally has better sectors than the normal Raptor 150....my friend told me this not sure if its true, but just some speculation for you. I am very pleased with it....no matter which one you buy you will be happy.

The better sectors and some other things were speculations that were false. The hard discs are the same internally. But if you can actually see the inside of the Raptor and its spinning around when you've got it in the case and you enjoy it, then good. I just know that if it was in any of the cases of my computers, I couldn't see it at all, so there would be no point in the clear side.

speed4life

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Just get the Raptor X It will be the same price after you enter the promo code and save $10.00. Enjoy I love my two raptor's.

http://promotions.newegg.com/neemail/May-0-2007/SE-Promo052407in/index-landing.html?CMP=KNC-GoogleAdwords&ATT=Branding

Motherboard: EVGA T1 680i
CPU: E6600 L646G494 @ 3.7Ghz. 1:1 Ratio Linked & Synced Voltage 1.44 Load Temp 45c
Idle Temp. 25c
SPP:1.45volts, MCP: 1.50volts
Memory: Mushkin PC2 8000 2gig's 4-5-4-11, 2T Voltage 2.1
Swiftech Water Cooling H20-220
Video: One EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
Power Supply: Silverstone 750W

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
thanks for the info......I dont see why you wouldnt get one....the prices are so close. And if you ever decide to upgrade to a case with a window then you will be happy.

Sunder

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
I'm pretty sure you need to be signed up for the promotional email to use the codes they provide. I tried one once (before I signed up) and it didn't work. They keep track of which logins were sent the promotion.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

I seem to remember that there are other differences between the two drives WRT RAID. I think the non-X drives are preferred for arrays.

sailer

Splendid
I had heard that too, and I thought it was interesting that the non X drives were better. Yet as I read various reviews, they all seemed to agree that there was no real difference beyond the clear side. I just checked the Western Digital site and could find no substantive difference between the two drives, other than the clear cover on the X drive.

That said, if speed4life is correct and the drives are now the same price, due to discounting or whatever, than I can't see any reason to not buy a X version.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Some people pay extra to have a side window in their case, and then more 'extra' to have noisy fans with little led's, just to look 'cool'. If the idiots are willing to cough up the extra for a piece of plastic instead of a metal case, well... Its their money.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I had heard that too, and I thought it was interesting that the non X drives were better. Yet as I read various reviews, they all seemed to agree that there was no real difference beyond the clear side. I just checked the Western Digital site and could find no substantive difference between the two drives, other than the clear cover on the X drive.

From Newegg, about the X:

Crystalline polycarbonate lens - Provides clarity, structural integrity, electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection, durability and chemical neutrality necessary for the highest performance and reliability.
Native Command Queuing (NCQ) - Increases data transfer in high-performance multi-processor, multi-threaded environments.
Rotary Acceleration Feed Forward (RAFF ) - Optimizes operation and performance when drives are used in vibration-prone multi-drive systems. Patent pending.

Also from Newegg, about the ADFDRTL:

Reliable - Designed and manufactured to enterprise-class standards to provide enterprise reliability in high duty cycle environments. With 1,200,000 hours MTBF, these drives have the highest available reliability rating on a high capacity drive.
RAID-specific, time-limited error recovery (TLER) - A feature unique to WD, prevents drive fallout caused by the extended hard drive error-recovery processes common to desktop drives.
Rotary Acceleration Feed Forward (RAFF) - Optimizes operation and performance when the drives are used in vibration-prone, multidrive systems such as rack-mounted servers or network storage.

--------------------

Not sure if the X really doesn't have TLER. I don't see a comparison of the two 150s on the WD site.