Sign in with
Your question

Can't get out of safe boot in XP

Last response: in Windows XP
October 13, 2009 6:10:13 PM

Hi Went into msconfig and set up safe boot on restart.PC will not load in safe mode or in normal mode it just keeps looping back to the same screen.I have tried all the options on the screen.Is their anyway to get back to msconfig.I have the XP setup disk.Thank's for any help that you can give me.robertf

More about : safe boot

October 13, 2009 8:31:17 PM

What is the screen it's booting to?
October 16, 2009 10:18:00 PM

aford10 said:
What is the screen it's booting to?

Hi It goes into the XP home start up screen ,click on I go to the safe boot menu with all safe options.No matter what I click on I keep going around in this loop nothing will load.PC will not boot up in any mode.I had a problem with my CD player and figured I would go into safe mode and reinstall the driver. Could not get in SM,so I ran MSCONFIG & went into boot.ini & checked safe mode boot.Now I am stuck in this loop Any help that you can give me would be much appreciated.robertf
Related resources
October 17, 2009 3:12:04 AM

aford10 said:
Try rebuilding your boot.ini file with the bootcfg /default or /rebuild options.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

Hi I may not have made myself clear.I cannot get into anything. I think that I may have some missing files in Safe Mode because I can't get into SM.or XP at all.I don't get to the start up screen I go to the screen that says MS is sorry that it didn't start up ect. try normal start up ,last known config ,try SM ,SM with networking ect.No matter what option I try I just get the same screen.I know that the problem is because of my checking safe boot when I was in msconfig. I need a way to get into msconfig to uncheck safe boot.Can I get into msconfig in Dos or is their another way in.Thanks. robertf
October 17, 2009 3:28:25 AM

Hi Thanks I'll give it a try,will let you know the outcome. robertf
October 17, 2009 3:30:45 AM

You don't need to get into windows to rebuild the boot.ini file. You boot off your OS disc to get into the repair console.
October 18, 2009 2:55:53 AM

Hi, With the OS disk I was able to get in and repair the system.Thank you very much for your time,patience and most of all your knowledge. Best wishes robertf
October 18, 2009 5:25:11 AM

You're welcome
November 19, 2009 1:33:57 AM

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as Robert....only difference is, I was trying to get rid of the Security Tool virus when I played around with MSCONFIG. I get the same blue (and green) screens of death.

I thought of using the Windows XP CD as advised but will that 'infect' my CD (since my computer still has that virus)? I know I sound really stupid.

Also, will I lose my data?

MANY THANKS!

J
November 19, 2009 3:18:55 AM

A virus can't infect your CD.

You may want to start your own thread to get more help.
January 11, 2010 2:28:56 AM

I have a similar problem. I clearly had a hijacker/virus that had disable pretty much everything like my malware scan, control panel, task manager. So I went into msconfig to see if I could disable the problem. I saw safeboot in msconfig and tried it because whenever i tried to do a safe reboot using F8, it kept rejecting my password (probably another lovely feature of the hijacker). So now I am stuck in safemode and it won't take my password so I can't get any further in order to disable safemode. What now? My computer is from work so I don't have a system CD in order to reload it. Any options at this point?
!