2 monitors huh?

merwan

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
i have ATI Radeon X1600 Pro (256 MB). does it support 2 monitors?

while surfing the net, i got shocked when it said that my graphics cards supports 2 monitors. i quickly got my other monitor and hooked it on the other slot but sadly there was no signal.

is there something im doing wrong or my graphics card does not support 2 monitors.

my specs

thank you and will be hearing shortly

Hook up both monitors, then in XP:

1. Right-click the desktop, and then click Properties.

2. In the DisplayProperties dialog box, click the Settings tab.

3. Click the Display list and select your external monitor. If you do not see multiple monitors listed, your computer hardware may not support Dualview. You can still use MaxiVista to configure a second computer as an additional display, however.

4. Select the Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor option. Click Apply or OK.

merwan

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
didnt work evongugg.

for my second monitor i attached the plug on the onboard graphics as there is no addional plug on the graphics card. there is however another different sort of plug on the graphics card . help please?

my specs

merwan

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
good news; plugged second monitor into grahics card and now worked

bad news; second monitor shows the desktop but thats it. there is no mouse or desktop icons

why? please help!

The X1600 Pro should have one DVI and one VGA connector. Plug one monitor in using the DVI and the second monitor using the VGA and follow the directions as noted by evongugg.

It should be that "simple"...

merwan

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
i now plugged the second monitor correctly but it only shows the desktop without mouse or desktop icons??????????????????????????

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
good news; plugged second monitor into grahics card and now worked

bad news; second monitor shows the desktop but thats it. there is no mouse or desktop icons

why? please help!

See evongugg steps... dual monitors when plugged in correctly will usually default to one primary display being active with the secondary being blank (but not complaining about a signal). You need to extend the desktop to the second monitor for it to be usuable.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
In the Display properties (struggling to remember back to XP but it's similar to Vista I think), click on the 2nd monitor that you have just plugged in.

Make sure it is at the resolution you require, and ensure that you check "Extend the desktop onto this monitor".

also, make sure the monitor's position in the display properties is relative to your desk, i.e. on the left or right.

Click ok, and you are away.

There may be specific settingsi n the Catalyst drivers, but I'm on Nvidia and haven't used ATI since my 9800 Pro so I can't remember what they are.

MayDay94

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
you have it working. move your mouse all the way to the right and you will see the mouse on 2nd monitor. you chose "extend desktop" so it will give you more desktop space. all the icons are stored on left monitor. you can drag one over as well as windows from left to right monitor.

lghtmup98

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Depending on whether or not you have the monitor physically setting in the same place as shown under the display properties, you may have to move the mouse off of a diferent side of the display. Example: monitor physically left of main one, might have to move the mouse right to get it onto 2nd display. If this is the case, move the graphical representation of the monitor on the display properties page as stated before.

TRENDING THREADS