HD recording options?

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 10, 2005 4:39:10 PM

I receive HD OTA. My cable co. does not provide HD, and I can't get
satellite reception from my location. I was wondering what my HD recording
options are? I really want a DVD recorder with built in DVR (NOT tivo!!!).
Is there a unit out there that has an HD DVR with non-HD DVD recorder? I
also don't want to spend an arm and a leg (haha I know that's the catch).
Are there any options for me?

More about : recording options

February 10, 2005 5:06:32 PM

No
"tvserf" <zgirl@mail.com> wrote in message
>I receive HD OTA. My cable co. does not provide HD, and I can't get
> satellite reception from my location. I was wondering what my HD recording
> options are? I really want a DVD recorder with built in DVR (NOT tivo!!!).
> Is there a unit out there that has an HD DVR with non-HD DVD recorder? I
> also don't want to spend an arm and a leg (haha I know that's the catch).
> Are there any options for me?

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 7:00:03 PM

"tvserf" <zgirl@mail.com> wrote in message
>I receive HD OTA. My cable co. does not provide HD, and I can't get
> satellite reception from my location. I was wondering what my HD recording
> options are? I really want a DVD recorder with built in DVR (NOT tivo!!!).
> Is there a unit out there that has an HD DVR with non-HD DVD recorder? I
> also don't want to spend an arm and a leg (haha I know that's the catch).
> Are there any options for me?

http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvwonder/

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/hdtv-cards.html#myhd
February 10, 2005 9:06:29 PM

"tvserf" <zgirl@mail.com> wrote in message
>I receive HD OTA. My cable co. does not provide HD, and I can't get
> satellite reception from my location. I was wondering what my HD recording
> options are? I really want a DVD recorder with built in DVR (NOT tivo!!!).
> Is there a unit out there that has an HD DVR with non-HD DVD recorder? I
> also don't want to spend an arm and a leg (haha I know that's the catch).
> Are there any options for me?

There is one option, but it's a bit of a kluge. There are a few HD OTA
tuners out there, such as the Samsung T-165, that have FireWire outputs.
You can run the tuner's FireWire output into a PC running Windows (and
Vividlogic's DTVR software) or Linux (running VLC and lib1394), or into a
Mac running OS X and the virtual DVHS app from Apple's FireWire SDK.

Then the PC/Mac can record the HD signal to its hard drive. The Mac's
probably the best choice, as its FireWire support is superior to that in PC
land -- the new Mac Mini might make a good HD PVR, especially if you attach
a big FireWire hard drive to it.

There are a few discussion threads over at www.avsforum.com devoted to this
topic; if you're not scared off by the above, you might want to check them
out.
February 10, 2005 9:11:20 PM

The only thing I'm aware of is something like the Toshiba Symbio. It
does not have DVD recorder functions that I'm aware of, but you could
connect a DVD recorder to it. I don't know much about it or anyone who
has one, but it's pretty much the only thing I've heard about.

--
wmhjr
February 10, 2005 9:46:05 PM

tvserf wrote:
> I receive HD OTA. My cable co. does not provide HD, and I can't get
> satellite reception from my location. I was wondering what my HD
> recording options are? I really want a DVD recorder with built in DVR
> (NOT tivo!!!). Is there a unit out there that has an HD DVR with
> non-HD DVD recorder? I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg
> (haha I know that's the catch). Are there any options for me?

A Mac with the HD recording transport over firewire, if you have a firewire
output.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 1:27:35 AM

Interesting article in today's (Thursday 2/10) NY Times "Circuits" section
about the new Sony FX1 HDTV semi-pro camcorder. Relates to this recurring
question about storage of HD in the author's discussion of how the camera
stores an hour's worth of HD footage:

"The happy economics of this camera even extend to the tapes it uses:
ordinary Mini-DV cassettes, which cost about $5 apiece and are available in
most drugstores. Somehow the Sony manages to fit a full hour of video on a
tape originally intended to hold an hour of standard-definition scenes.
(This stunt relies on a video storage format created by Sony, JVC, Sharp and
Canon called HDV. In other words, people actually say with a straight face
that the FX1 is an HDV camcorder that records an HDTV picture on DV tapes.)"

Full article about the FX1 camera at
http://tech2.nytimes.com/2005/02/10/technology/circuits...
(requires free registration).

Of course, I have no idea how well this storage works but you would think it
would have to be pretty good since everything you are ever going to get out
of this camera is going to be what you get off that Mini-DV cassette, unless
there is some other way to store the camera's video product that the writer
did not mention.

If Sony, then, has a mini-DV technology, built into this camera, that will
store an hour's worth of HD, why not sell us a little mini-DV machine that
would store our cable HD signal? Maybe we are talking about two completely
different things here -- cable HD signal and this camera's HD signal?

mack
austin

"tvserf" <zgirl@mail.com> wrote in message
>I receive HD OTA. My cable co. does not provide HD, and I can't get
> satellite reception from my location. I was wondering what my HD recording
> options are? I really want a DVD recorder with built in DVR (NOT tivo!!!).
> Is there a unit out there that has an HD DVR with non-HD DVD recorder? I
> also don't want to spend an arm and a leg (haha I know that's the catch).
> Are there any options for me?

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 3:48:11 AM

A $150 DVD recorder can make nice anamorphic widescreen DVDs of HD
broadcasts through the 480i output of your HD tuner box.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 10:11:28 AM

"tvserf" <zgirl@mail.com> wrote:

>I receive HD OTA. My cable co. does not provide HD, and I can't get
>satellite reception from my location. I was wondering what my HD recording
>options are? I really want a DVD recorder with built in DVR (NOT tivo!!!).
>Is there a unit out there that has an HD DVR with non-HD DVD recorder? I
>also don't want to spend an arm and a leg (haha I know that's the catch).
>Are there any options for me?

Your best bet might be to build your own, which is not at all
difficult. Build a computer with an HDTV tuner card and a DVD writer.
I use a PC with WinXP and MyHD MDP-120. The MyHD saves the incoming
transport stream unmodified (if there are multiple channels per
carrier you can select the one you want on playback) in file sizes of
your choosing, sequentially numbered so the whole set can be played
back smoothly. These can then be written to DVD if you like, just
like any other files. You can play them back through the MyHD in full
HD. A DVD will hold about an hour, give or take.

A free, must-have utility is HDTVtoMPEG2, which lets you strip out
just the subchannel you want and edit out commercials. Despite the
name, you have the option to save the result as a transport stream,
again in sequentially-numbered files of your chosen size.

Del Mibbler
!