Sign in with
Your question

how much VrAM do i need?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 19, 2007 8:18:59 PM

I run at 1600x1200 and i like at least 2x antialiasing and some anisotropic filtering. Games like LOTRO and WOW play ok on my setup, but not great, I actually cant max either out completely, and LOTRO hangs in there slightly above "medium" settings.

I have visiontek x1950pro 256mb AGP. 3200+ A64, 2GB Ram DDR400 2-3-3-7.

Im wondering if the 256mb on my video card is a limiting factor at the resolutions im playing, on the games im playing.

I want anyone with experience with EQ2 LOTRO, WOW, OBLIVION, etc... who has also used a 256mb card of the recent generation, as well as a 512 card of the recent generation, and runs these games at at least the resolution i do (1600x1200) to comment on any performance differences they've noticed.

Or even better, if there is a comparison ive missed, with Graphs comparing the performance of recent cards on recent games with 256 or 512 Vram.

More about : vram

June 19, 2007 8:26:22 PM

For games like Oblivion you'll be let down by the GPU before running out of RAM is an issue. The increase in performance you'll get for going up to 512mb with a similar card is minimal at best.
June 19, 2007 11:59:01 PM

you have an agp card? that may be your problem. pci express is much faster and may supply the speed you're looking for. also your cpu is not the best. do you overclock it or not?
Related resources
June 20, 2007 12:33:10 AM

i don't overclock, i stopped doing that a couple years ago. Ends up costing more than it's worth in my opinion. The cpu itself is something ive been considering as a culprit, it may have some decent overclocking capabilities as it is a venice model. On the other hand, I have observed several sites reporting that at 1600x1200 resolution that the framerate is identical in most games regardless of cpu, as long as the cpu meets certain bare minimums (like its not a socket 7 K62 or something). Perhaps my cpu is below the bare minimum? It would be interesting to see if my cpu has fallen behind the current gen of video cards. I really doubt it though, most of the A64's fall into a middle performance pack regardless of socket type, with the exception of the early models with poorly implimented memory controllers, and of course the recent generation of FX's which come somewhat close to challenging the C2Duo. I really don't want to throw down several hundred dollars on what i percieve would be a minimal improvement, if that is the case. Even if i did upgrade the cpu, the best i could do is X2 4600. I have the 939 socket.

On the topic of AGP, the websites ive read indicate that AGP can give you up to 10% performance decrease.

So maybe the cumulation of better mobo/cpu/pciexpress/DDR2 would give me a significant boost. Meaning total rebuild.

no changes available at this point which would give me the boost that going from 512mb to 2GB ram did for me. That kinda thing requires an overhaul it looks like.
June 20, 2007 12:47:32 AM

i'm not sure that a new system is exactly what you want to do. 939 is still a good platform, it just doesnt support ddr2. as for the cpu i hear the opteron series is really good. i want one myself. i still think that having agp is one of the major problems, but i'm not entirely sure. sry i cant help you out more
June 23, 2007 7:03:51 PM

i tried overclocking my cpu temporarilly to see if it improved things. it did actually. My framerate in one area i had particular problems with went from 17 to 28 when i raised the clock from 2000 to 2400. thats with my x1950pro set to 1600x1200. So i guess some of the benchmarks ive seen were were wrong, that say once you get to that 1600x1200 rez, processor doesn't make a difference.

So i looked around on the internet and there's a whole lot of nothing in the athlon x2 939 variety. Opterons however are apparently being liquidated. so i picked up an opteron 170 (dual core) on newegg. It's clocked the same 2000 but it has more cache and of course dual cores which a couple of my games actually support to my surprise, including WOW. Im really interested in seeing what that extra core does for the games that support it. I hope LOTRO has some good support of dual core built into it. It would be nice to raise some settings.
!