Your question

Final Build, opinions?

Last response: in Systems
June 19, 2007 8:25:18 PM

CPU Q6600 $266
MOBO eVGA NF68 A1 $210
Case Antec 900 $90
PSU Thermaltake 750W, modular, $125
RAM 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix, 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer, both ddr2 1066 $200
CPU HSFThermalright Ultra $65
Vid Card eVGA 8800 GTS 640 $315

and OS i have both vista and xp 64 ready, along with HDDs,

And I plan to add another 8800GTS 640 (prolly a gigabyte one) when price dips at end of the year

so grand total,

More about : final build opinions

June 19, 2007 8:32:47 PM

Where'd you find a Thermaltake 750w PSU (toughpower?) for $125?
Related resources
June 19, 2007 10:15:40 PM

Ahh. Well anyways..Nice build :)  looks good.
June 20, 2007 1:22:30 AM

thanks

btw for the psu, you have to click the "buy" button to add to cart...clicking on the product link wont do anything
June 20, 2007 2:32:47 AM

If you are set on buying another 8800GTS, I would buy another eVGA. Then, technically, you could use their step up program with both cards. Good build though. Similar to mine except for the Mobo.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2007 3:14:28 AM

What's wrong with that mobo?

OP: will you overclock? If not, DDR2-800 will do and may save you some cash. Crucial Ballistix is a great brand, btw.

Another SLI build... (sigh) How much do you expect the 8800 GTS 640 to cost at the end of the year? Let's say it's $315 now and it will drop to $200 then. You're better off getting an 8800 GTX now for $515. Of course, you'd need to find the $200 now, oops...

If you do go SLI do yourself a favor and don't mix brands. It's asking for trouble.
June 20, 2007 3:31:28 AM

the step up program is useless because it uses the prices of the grpahics cards on the evgas site. for ex, i paid 315 for my 8800 gts 640, and on the website its 430 or something, and from my understanding, its extremely rare they lower the prices until nth generations of cards come out.

i will oc, and i think its a great mobo, no question
maybe its me, but i found that "you'd need to find the $200 now, oops..." quite condescending...but the in case im right, im going through college and @ 50k a year, its no joyride. and if im wrong, sorry, but it sounded pretty damn condescending

and 2 640s will outperform a gtx, and i have no qualms waiting later on to add another card on.

and ill add the gigabyte one cuz the super kawaii coverart ^_________^
a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2007 3:49:38 AM

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I just meant I was aware that my advice was useless because of budget constraints. Looks like it was useless indeed. Come on, don't get upset. I'm not here to annoy people, I do try to help...
June 20, 2007 3:53:58 AM

That Mobo is fine. I just don't like it because I'm not going to Sli, so I save myself some money. The Step up program isn't useless. You pay the difference between the price of the cards. Therefore, if they don't lower the prices of any of the cards... then the difference won't be affected.

Yes, 2 640s will outperform a GTX, it also costs $170 more.

Oh yes, let's start judging our parts by the coverart. Apevia for everything yay!

One last point. if you buy a GTX instead of a GTS now... You can buy another GTX later on, instead of a GTS. 2 GTX > 2 GTS. Just a thought...
a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2007 3:57:16 AM

Apevia? What have they done to deserve this?

I vote for BFG, they had a rabid wolf on a cover and the word eVGA could be read in his mouth, yuck...
June 20, 2007 4:00:13 AM

Oh come now, we all know Apevia could make top notch video cards.
(wow, actually started to laugh a little typing that, my bad.)

Besides, Apevia loads everything with LEDs. Can you imagine a 8800 Ultra with 50 LEDs on it? All multi colored and stuff. How cool.
June 20, 2007 4:05:48 AM

Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I just meant I was aware that my advice was useless because of budget constraints. Looks like it was useless indeed. Come on, don't get upset. I'm not here to annoy people, I do try to help...

thanks for the help, if you didnt mean harm then its all cool

and yes fallensniper, if i buy a gtx now, of course another one added in the future will perform better than two GTSs. gts now = 300, down the road, 200. gtx now is 500, later maybe 350. so 500 for gts set up, and 850 for gtx set up...id rather spend less and wait less for the gtx to drop that far and get in on the next gen nvidia cards.

btw apevia may be aesthetically pleasing to you, but its quality is pretty much bottom. but gigabyte offers a product of equal quality to that of evgas, while apevia offers...well, we know about it
June 20, 2007 4:11:07 AM

Quote:

and yes fallensniper, if i buy a gtx now, of course another one added in the future will perform better than two GTSs. gts now = 300, down the road, 200. gtx now is 500, later maybe 350. so 500 for gts set up, and 850 for gtx set up...id rather spend less and wait less for the gtx to drop that far and get in on the next gen nvidia cards.

btw apevia may be aesthetically pleasing to you, but its quality is pretty much bottom. but gigabyte offers a product of equal quality to that of evgas, while apevia offers...well, we know about it

Um, if you are intending to get a "next gen" card, then you shouldn't even be considering Sli.

Also, you shouldn't go around smack talking about Apevia, I mean, some of their $6 case fans are the best deals around. and if you are considering going Gigabyte for a video card... Well I have no comment on that.
June 20, 2007 4:36:20 AM

Quote:

Um, if you are intending to get a "next gen" card, then you shouldn't even be considering Sli.

Also, you shouldn't go around smack talking about Apevia, I mean, some of their $6 case fans are the best deals around. and if you are considering going Gigabyte for a video card... Well I have no comment on that.

im intending to get a nextgen card after i exhaust my sli rig after my second card, making sure that its performance value will be greater than that of gtxs in sli

also nothing wrong with my desire for aesthetically pleasing quality parts when you were the one who said "apevia for everything yay!" implying that they have "good" asthetics.

all vid cards of the same model are the same, its just the bundle and initial factory OC that are different, so as far as i am concerned, the gigabyte's is just as good as evgas. and for the step up, you pay the difference between what YOU purchased the card for the the price of the card you want to step up to on the EVGAs site

ive never seen the bfgs wolf cover art, but i should the foxconn's 8800 cover art is quite cosmic :D 
June 20, 2007 4:53:20 AM

Quote:

im intending to get a nextgen card after i exhaust my sli rig after my second card, making sure that its performance value will be greater than that of gtxs in sli

also nothing wrong with my desire for aesthetically pleasing quality parts when you were the one who said "apevia for everything yay!" implying that they have "good" asthetics.

all vid cards of the same model are the same, its just the bundle and initial factory OC that are different, so as far as i am concerned, the gigabyte's is just as good as evgas. and for the step up, you pay the difference between what YOU purchased the card for the the price of the card you want to step up to on the EVGAs site

ive never seen the bfgs wolf cover art, but i should the foxconn's 8800 cover art is quite cosmic :D 

Wow, could you possibly contradict yourself any more? You speak against the GTX and all for the GTS. But then you say you won't buy a next gen card until you know it will be better than GTX in Sli. Why does that matter? You will have GTS in Sli, not GTX. I don't really care if you want "aesthetically pleasing quality parts." It's the QUALITY part that really matters.

And no, the Gigabytes are not as good as the eVGAs. Otherwise people would actually buy the Gigabytes. Look at this page and you will see that over 800 people agree with me.

But alas, you are clearly a stubborn one so I don't even know why I am still trying.. Do what you want, after all, we are just here for advice...

Oh and as a closing note... That talk about Apevia was a joke... (except their case fans are actually good...some of them).
!