Unable to set OE as default email program

June 13, 2005 10:27:33 PM

I recently did a XP upgrade from ME and did the new installation after a
format. All went well and everything seemed to be OK. That is until I
inadvertantly OKed MS Outlook during a Office 97 install. I uninstalled the
Outlook and thought it was done, but I found that I had lost the OE shortcut
in the Start menu. Fooling around I was able to pin one and get it going.
The trouble is that I am not able to set OE as the default email program at
Tools-Internet Options-Programs. Nothing is listed there to select and I
can't type in OE. Now, I can still start OE and receive and send messages,
but my scanner and software(Visioneer/PaperPort) configuration will not
recognize OE as a destination for sending emails. Plus I cannot put a
shortcut on the Quicklaunch bar. I have tried the methods the ElderGeek has
suggested from altering the registry lines regarding OE (is install to "0"),
running sfc /scannow, and trying to reinstall Internet Explorer. When I
tried reinstalling IE from the ElderGeek's site link, I was told I had a
newer version of OE and the install was stopped. How can I clean this mess
up? Thanks in advance.

Bart
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 12:34:37 AM

Hi,
Quick, easy method (usually works.)
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/why.htm#reregOE

Additional possibilities:
306098- Send To and E-mail Links Do Not Work Using Outlook Express as
Default:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306098

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Bart" wrote in message news:11as912d2liu178@corp.supernews.com...

> I recently did a XP upgrade from ME and did the new installation after a
> format. All went well and everything seemed to be OK. That is until I
> inadvertantly OKed MS Outlook during a Office 97 install. I uninstalled
the
> Outlook and thought it was done, but I found that I had lost the OE
shortcut
> in the Start menu. Fooling around I was able to pin one and get it going.
>
> The trouble is that I am not able to set OE as the default email program
at
> Tools-Internet Options-Programs. Nothing is listed there to select and I
> can't type in OE. Now, I can still start OE and receive and send messages,
> but my scanner and software(Visioneer/PaperPort) configuration will not
> recognize OE as a destination for sending emails. Plus I cannot put a
> shortcut on the Quicklaunch bar. I have tried the methods the ElderGeek
has
> suggested from altering the registry lines regarding OE (is install to
"0"),
> running sfc /scannow, and trying to reinstall Internet Explorer. When I
> tried reinstalling IE from the ElderGeek's site link, I was told I had a
> newer version of OE and the install was stopped. How can I clean this mess
> up? Thanks in advance.
>
> Bart
June 14, 2005 12:34:38 AM

Don-
Went to the insideoe site you refered to and followed the instructions
exactly. Start-Run-"c:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe"/reg but it
told me it couldn't find it. I did a search for the msimn.exe file and it
is in the above location. Also, I went to the Microsoft site you mentioned
and looked at the registry as they suggested and found at the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express key the following:
Under name-default, under type-REG_SZ, under Data-(value not set} There was
no DLLPath value and I have not tackled that since the default key was not
right. Thanks for your reply. Any clues so far?

Bart

> Hi,
> Quick, easy method (usually works.)
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/why.htm#reregOE
>
> Additional possibilities:
> 306098- Send To and E-mail Links Do Not Work Using Outlook Express as
> Default:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306098
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE/OE]
>
> "Bart" wrote in message news:11as912d2liu178@corp.supernews.com...
>>
>> I recently did a XP upgrade from ME and did the new installation after a
>> format. All went well and everything seemed to be OK. That is until I
>> inadvertantly OKed MS Outlook during a Office 97 install. I uninstalled
> the
>> Outlook and thought it was done, but I found that I had lost the OE
> shortcut
>> in the Start menu. Fooling around I was able to pin one and get it going.
>>
>> The trouble is that I am not able to set OE as the default email program
> at
>> Tools-Internet Options-Programs. Nothing is listed there to select and I
>> can't type in OE. Now, I can still start OE and receive and send
>> messages,
>> but my scanner and software(Visioneer/PaperPort) configuration will not
>> recognize OE as a destination for sending emails. Plus I cannot put a
>> shortcut on the Quicklaunch bar. I have tried the methods the ElderGeek
> has
>> suggested from altering the registry lines regarding OE (is install to
> "0"),
>> running sfc /scannow, and trying to reinstall Internet Explorer. When I
>> tried reinstalling IE from the ElderGeek's site link, I was told I had a
>> newer version of OE and the install was stopped. How can I clean this
>> mess
>> up? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Bart

June 14, 2005 2:18:56 AM

Ensure that you're putting a space between the command and the /REG switch.

For what its worth, you should be able to just click Start, Run and enter MSIMN.EXE /REG

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message news:11asfe6o8imehaf@corp.supernews.com...

> Don-
> Went to the insideoe site you refered to and followed the instructions
> exactly. Start-Run-"c:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe"/reg but it
> told me it couldn't find it. I did a search for the msimn.exe file and it
> is in the above location. Also, I went to the Microsoft site you mentioned
> and looked at the registry as they suggested and found at the
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express key the following:
> Under name-default, under type-REG_SZ, under Data-(value not set} There was
> no DLLPath value and I have not tackled that since the default key was not
> right. Thanks for your reply. Any clues so far?
>
> Bart

>> Hi,
>> Quick, easy method (usually works.)
>> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/why.htm#reregOE
>>
>> Additional possibilities:
>> 306098- Send To and E-mail Links Do Not Work Using Outlook Express as
>> Default:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306098
>>
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE/OE]
>>
>> "Bart" wrote in message news:11as912d2liu178@corp.supernews.com...
>>>
>>> I recently did a XP upgrade from ME and did the new installation after a
>>> format. All went well and everything seemed to be OK. That is until I
>>> inadvertantly OKed MS Outlook during a Office 97 install. I uninstalled
>> the
>>> Outlook and thought it was done, but I found that I had lost the OE
>> shortcut
>>> in the Start menu. Fooling around I was able to pin one and get it going.
>>>
>>> The trouble is that I am not able to set OE as the default email program
>> at
>>> Tools-Internet Options-Programs. Nothing is listed there to select and I
>>> can't type in OE. Now, I can still start OE and receive and send
>>> messages,
>>> but my scanner and software(Visioneer/PaperPort) configuration will not
>>> recognize OE as a destination for sending emails. Plus I cannot put a
>>> shortcut on the Quicklaunch bar. I have tried the methods the ElderGeek
>> has
>>> suggested from altering the registry lines regarding OE (is install to
>> "0"),
>>> running sfc /scannow, and trying to reinstall Internet Explorer. When I
>>> tried reinstalling IE from the ElderGeek's site link, I was told I had a
>>> newer version of OE and the install was stopped. How can I clean this
>>> mess
>>> up? Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Bart

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 2:19:36 AM

Additionally, see www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Restore OE to E-Mail Clients List.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message news:11asfe6o8imehaf@corp.supernews.com...

> Don-
> Went to the insideoe site you refered to and followed the instructions
> exactly. Start-Run-"c:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe"/reg but it
> told me it couldn't find it. I did a search for the msimn.exe file and it
> is in the above location. Also, I went to the Microsoft site you mentioned
> and looked at the registry as they suggested and found at the
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express key the following:
> Under name-default, under type-REG_SZ, under Data-(value not set} There was
> no DLLPath value and I have not tackled that since the default key was not
> right. Thanks for your reply. Any clues so far?
>
> Bart

>> Hi,
>> Quick, easy method (usually works.)
>> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/why.htm#reregOE
>>
>> Additional possibilities:
>> 306098- Send To and E-mail Links Do Not Work Using Outlook Express as
>> Default:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306098
>>
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE/OE]
>>
>> "Bart" wrote in message news:11as912d2liu178@corp.supernews.com...
>>>
>>> I recently did a XP upgrade from ME and did the new installation after a
>>> format. All went well and everything seemed to be OK. That is until I
>>> inadvertantly OKed MS Outlook during a Office 97 install. I uninstalled
>> the
>>> Outlook and thought it was done, but I found that I had lost the OE
>> shortcut
>>> in the Start menu. Fooling around I was able to pin one and get it going.
>>>
>>> The trouble is that I am not able to set OE as the default email program
>> at
>>> Tools-Internet Options-Programs. Nothing is listed there to select and I
>>> can't type in OE. Now, I can still start OE and receive and send
>>> messages,
>>> but my scanner and software(Visioneer/PaperPort) configuration will not
>>> recognize OE as a destination for sending emails. Plus I cannot put a
>>> shortcut on the Quicklaunch bar. I have tried the methods the ElderGeek
>> has
>>> suggested from altering the registry lines regarding OE (is install to
>> "0"),
>>> running sfc /scannow, and trying to reinstall Internet Explorer. When I
>>> tried reinstalling IE from the ElderGeek's site link, I was told I had a
>>> newer version of OE and the install was stopped. How can I clean this
>>> mess
>>> up? Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Bart

June 14, 2005 11:21:29 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you. There is, of course, a space between the
command and the /reg switch. I know better than that. Jeez. Anyway, OE
has appeared as the default email program, and all is well in XP Land. Now
I just have to wonder what happened to cause the problem so as to avoid that
in the future. Great Advice!!!

Bart

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
> [...]

>>> The trouble is that I am not able to set OE as the default email program
>> at
>>> Tools-Internet Options-Programs. Nothing is listed there to select and I
>>> can't type in OE. Now, I can still start OE and receive and send
>>> messages,
>>> but my scanner and software(Visioneer/PaperPort) configuration will not
>>> recognize OE as a destination for sending emails. Plus I cannot put a
>>> shortcut on the Quicklaunch bar. I have tried the methods the ElderGeek
>> has
>>> suggested from altering the registry lines regarding OE (is install to
>> "0"),
>>> running sfc /scannow, and trying to reinstall Internet Explorer. When I
>>> tried reinstalling IE from the ElderGeek's site link, I was told I had a
>>> newer version of OE and the install was stopped. How can I clean this

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 9:24:09 PM

Hi,
Installing Outlook broke some registry settings for Outlook Express. It's a
problem that's been around for a while. ;-)

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Bart" wrote in message news:11atmcbd7qtnd40@corp.supernews.com...

> Thank you, thank you, thank you. There is, of course, a space between the
> command and the /reg switch. I know better than that. Jeez. Anyway, OE
> has appeared as the default email program, and all is well in XP Land.
Now

> I just have to wonder what happened to cause the problem so as to avoid
that
> in the future. Great Advice!!!
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 7:53:48 PM

When I installed winxp sp2 (2002) the message always came up (while I was
trying to configure OE as the default mail program) "Confirm Outlook as the
default mail program." I had not done anything with Outlook, and didn't
want to use it, so finally opened it to (do what?). A window came up with
that same message, but gave an opportunity to check *not* to designate
Outlook as default. Simple, but elusive. It worked.

!