Unable to set OE as default email program

I recently did a XP upgrade from ME and did the new installation after a
format. All went well and everything seemed to be OK. That is until I
inadvertantly OKed MS Outlook during a Office 97 install. I uninstalled the
Outlook and thought it was done, but I found that I had lost the OE shortcut
in the Start menu. Fooling around I was able to pin one and get it going.
The trouble is that I am not able to set OE as the default email program at
Tools-Internet Options-Programs. Nothing is listed there to select and I
can't type in OE. Now, I can still start OE and receive and send messages,
but my scanner and software(Visioneer/PaperPort) configuration will not
recognize OE as a destination for sending emails. Plus I cannot put a
shortcut on the Quicklaunch bar. I have tried the methods the ElderGeek has
suggested from altering the registry lines regarding OE (is install to "0"),
running sfc /scannow, and trying to reinstall Internet Explorer. When I
tried reinstalling IE from the ElderGeek's site link, I was told I had a
newer version of OE and the install was stopped. How can I clean this mess
up? Thanks in advance.

Bart
7 answers Last reply
More about unable default email program

    Hi,
    Quick, easy method (usually works.)
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/why.htm#reregOE

    Additional possibilities:
    306098- Send To and E-mail Links Do Not Work Using Outlook Express as
    Default:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306098

    Don
    [MS MVP- IE/OE]

    "Bart" wrote in message news:11as912d2liu178@corp.supernews.com...

    > I recently did a XP upgrade from ME and did the new installation after a
    > format. All went well and everything seemed to be OK. That is until I
    > inadvertantly OKed MS Outlook during a Office 97 install. I uninstalled
    the
    > Outlook and thought it was done, but I found that I had lost the OE
    shortcut
    > in the Start menu. Fooling around I was able to pin one and get it going.
    >
    > The trouble is that I am not able to set OE as the default email program
    at
    > Tools-Internet Options-Programs. Nothing is listed there to select and I
    > can't type in OE. Now, I can still start OE and receive and send messages,
    > but my scanner and software(Visioneer/PaperPort) configuration will not
    > recognize OE as a destination for sending emails. Plus I cannot put a
    > shortcut on the Quicklaunch bar. I have tried the methods the ElderGeek
    has
    > suggested from altering the registry lines regarding OE (is install to
    "0"),
    > running sfc /scannow, and trying to reinstall Internet Explorer. When I
    > tried reinstalling IE from the ElderGeek's site link, I was told I had a
    > newer version of OE and the install was stopped. How can I clean this mess
    > up? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Bart

    Don-
    Went to the insideoe site you refered to and followed the instructions
    exactly. Start-Run-"c:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe"/reg but it
    told me it couldn't find it. I did a search for the msimn.exe file and it
    is in the above location. Also, I went to the Microsoft site you mentioned
    and looked at the registry as they suggested and found at the
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express key the following:
    Under name-default, under type-REG_SZ, under Data-(value not set} There was
    no DLLPath value and I have not tackled that since the default key was not
    right. Thanks for your reply. Any clues so far?

    Bart

    > Hi,
    > Quick, easy method (usually works.)
    > http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/why.htm#reregOE
    >
    > Additional possibilities:
    > 306098- Send To and E-mail Links Do Not Work Using Outlook Express as
    > Default:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306098
    >
    > Don
    > [MS MVP- IE/OE]
    >
    > "Bart" wrote in message news:11as912d2liu178@corp.supernews.com...
    >>
    >> I recently did a XP upgrade from ME and did the new installation after a
    >> format. All went well and everything seemed to be OK. That is until I
    >> inadvertantly OKed MS Outlook during a Office 97 install. I uninstalled
    > the
    >> Outlook and thought it was done, but I found that I had lost the OE
    > shortcut
    >> in the Start menu. Fooling around I was able to pin one and get it going.
    >>
    >> The trouble is that I am not able to set OE as the default email program
    > at
    >> Tools-Internet Options-Programs. Nothing is listed there to select and I
    >> can't type in OE. Now, I can still start OE and receive and send
    >> messages,
    >> but my scanner and software(Visioneer/PaperPort) configuration will not
    >> recognize OE as a destination for sending emails. Plus I cannot put a
    >> shortcut on the Quicklaunch bar. I have tried the methods the ElderGeek
    > has
    >> suggested from altering the registry lines regarding OE (is install to
    > "0"),
    >> running sfc /scannow, and trying to reinstall Internet Explorer. When I
    >> tried reinstalling IE from the ElderGeek's site link, I was told I had a
    >> newer version of OE and the install was stopped. How can I clean this
    >> mess
    >> up? Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Bart

    Ensure that you're putting a space between the command and the /REG switch.

    For what its worth, you should be able to just click Start, Run and enter MSIMN.EXE /REG

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    Additionally, see www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Restore OE to E-Mail Clients List.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message news:11asfe6o8imehaf@corp.supernews.com...

    > Don-
    > Went to the insideoe site you refered to and followed the instructions
    > exactly. Start-Run-"c:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe"/reg but it
    > told me it couldn't find it. I did a search for the msimn.exe file and it
    > is in the above location. Also, I went to the Microsoft site you mentioned
    > and looked at the registry as they suggested and found at the
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express key the following:
    > Under name-default, under type-REG_SZ, under Data-(value not set} There was
    > no DLLPath value and I have not tackled that since the default key was not
    > right. Thanks for your reply. Any clues so far?
    >
    > Bart

    >> Hi,
    >> Quick, easy method (usually works.)
    >> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/why.htm#reregOE
    >>
    >> Additional possibilities:
    >> 306098- Send To and E-mail Links Do Not Work Using Outlook Express as
    >> Default:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306098
    >>
    >> Don
    >> [MS MVP- IE/OE]
    >>
    >> "Bart" wrote in message news:11as912d2liu178@corp.supernews.com...
    >>>
    >>> I recently did a XP upgrade from ME and did the new installation after a
    >>> format. All went well and everything seemed to be OK. That is until I
    >>> inadvertantly OKed MS Outlook during a Office 97 install. I uninstalled
    >> the
    >>> Outlook and thought it was done, but I found that I had lost the OE
    >> shortcut
    >>> in the Start menu. Fooling around I was able to pin one and get it going.
    >>>
    >>> The trouble is that I am not able to set OE as the default email program
    >> at
    >>> Tools-Internet Options-Programs. Nothing is listed there to select and I
    >>> can't type in OE. Now, I can still start OE and receive and send
    >>> messages,
    >>> but my scanner and software(Visioneer/PaperPort) configuration will not
    >>> recognize OE as a destination for sending emails. Plus I cannot put a
    >>> shortcut on the Quicklaunch bar. I have tried the methods the ElderGeek
    >> has
    >>> suggested from altering the registry lines regarding OE (is install to
    >> "0"),
    >>> running sfc /scannow, and trying to reinstall Internet Explorer. When I
    >>> tried reinstalling IE from the ElderGeek's site link, I was told I had a
    >>> newer version of OE and the install was stopped. How can I clean this
    >>> mess
    >>> up? Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>> Bart

    Thank you, thank you, thank you. There is, of course, a space between the
    command and the /reg switch. I know better than that. Jeez. Anyway, OE
    has appeared as the default email program, and all is well in XP Land. Now
    I just have to wonder what happened to cause the problem so as to avoid that
    in the future. Great Advice!!!

    Bart

    --
    Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    Display\Security
> [...]

    >>> The trouble is that I am not able to set OE as the default email program
    >> at
    >>> Tools-Internet Options-Programs. Nothing is listed there to select and I
    >>> can't type in OE. Now, I can still start OE and receive and send
    >>> messages,
    >>> but my scanner and software(Visioneer/PaperPort) configuration will not
    >>> recognize OE as a destination for sending emails. Plus I cannot put a
    >>> shortcut on the Quicklaunch bar. I have tried the methods the ElderGeek
    >> has
    >>> suggested from altering the registry lines regarding OE (is install to
    >> "0"),
    >>> running sfc /scannow, and trying to reinstall Internet Explorer. When I
    >>> tried reinstalling IE from the ElderGeek's site link, I was told I had a
    >>> newer version of OE and the install was stopped. How can I clean this

    Hi,
    Installing Outlook broke some registry settings for Outlook Express. It's a
    problem that's been around for a while. ;-)

    Don
    [MS MVP- IE/OE]

    "Bart" wrote in message news:11atmcbd7qtnd40@corp.supernews.com...

    > Thank you, thank you, thank you. There is, of course, a space between the
    > command and the /reg switch. I know better than that. Jeez. Anyway, OE
    > has appeared as the default email program, and all is well in XP Land.
    Now

    > I just have to wonder what happened to cause the problem so as to avoid
    that
    > in the future. Great Advice!!!

    When I installed winxp sp2 (2002) the message always came up (while I was
    trying to configure OE as the default mail program) "Confirm Outlook as the
    default mail program." I had not done anything with Outlook, and didn't
    want to use it, so finally opened it to (do what?). A window came up with
    that same message, but gave an opportunity to check *not* to designate
    Outlook as default. Simple, but elusive. It worked.

> [...]

    >>> The trouble is that I am not able to set OE as the default email program
    >> at
    >>> Tools-Internet Options-Programs. Nothing is listed there to select and I
    >>> can't type in OE. Now, I can still start OE and receive and send
    >>> messages,
    >>> but my scanner and software(Visioneer/PaperPort) configuration will not
    >>> recognize OE as a destination for sending emails. Plus I cannot put a
    >>> shortcut on the Quicklaunch bar. I have tried the methods the ElderGeek
    >> has
    >>> suggested from altering the registry lines regarding OE (is install to
    >> "0"),
    >>> running sfc /scannow, and trying to reinstall Internet Explorer. When I
    >>> tried reinstalling IE from the ElderGeek's site link, I was told I had a
    >>> newer version of OE and the install was stopped. How can I clean this

Windows XP