da_kurlzz

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
im planning on buying the evega gts version now heres the problem

my motherboard has a pci-e express x16(at only a max of x8)

i was wondering if the 8600 gts would work on iy i know i cant get an 8800 series cause they need full x16

so would this work ??

thanx

Assuming that's 8 lanes ie 8X and not just a happy single X, then it'll be fine. Even the GF8800 only rarely shows the difference between 8X and 16X.

Wait for the new DX10 apps to be benched, but really I doubt the difference will be very dramatic the way it is for 4X and below.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
It will almost certainy wrk, and to be honest, an 8800 will also work ok. I can't remember the site, but someone did a review of the Asrock combined AGP / PCI motherboard which only runs at x4 PCIe IIRC, and an 8800 ran on that, albeit more slowly.

THG did a review with all the standard lane configs 1, 4, 8, 16;
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/03/27/pci_express_scaling_analysis/

It shows what you an I said, not much difference even on the GF8800, but it's there in some situations like COD2 where it was 20%, the thing is looking at the X1900XTX I'm wondering if the results of the GTS aren't because of the low memory amount in relationship to what it can do with extra memory (would've liked to have seen a GTS-640 in there too).

I would suspect that while there may be an impact with the GF8600 series it's so weak compared to these two that the difference in real terms will be minor compared to other bottlenecks like memory bandwidth, and core power.