COMPUTER ON WHILE UNPLUGGED????!????

alpha12903

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Hi,

I've just go home from a friends, and my Media Center computer (just replaced an older computer) was on. I was wondering what was going on, since I turned it off, and suddenly remembered I UNPLUGGED IT.

I'm kinda scared- the power cable has been unplugged and the power indicator stays on- is the motherboard battery or something?????

The PSU Light is also on. All lights will turn off when the power cable is plugged in, including the PSU Power indicatory light.

I will also add that the computer will not start up, no matter what.

Take into condiseration that it is a media center PC and has a tuner connected to a OTA Antenna. We've also just had a storm.

Other peripherals include,

2 Mice, 2 Keyboards, Tuner, VGA Distributor/Amplifier, Speakers and splitters.

The ram has also been upgraded earlier today, and it booted up and functioned for about 30 minutes ok. I then shut it down and moved it to the entertainment room.

HOW COULD THE LIGHTS BE POSSIBLY ON!

PLEASE HELP ME... IF ITS THE BATTERY, IT MIGHT KILL IT!!!

Thank you!!!!!,

Sam

alpha12903

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

Unplugged everything, and the light is still on.....

PSU light power off when power is connected.

I will also add that the DVD Drive is blinking, and the DVD Drive (a different one) has caused the system not too boot.

There is also a dvd in the drive.

The system also had a problem earlier today about no being able to wake from sleep. The only thing I could do was unplug and plug back in.

Thanks for the help,

Sam

Well when you first unplugged it the capacitors inside the power supply still had a charge and continued to for a short time provide power. When you plugged it back in there is no telling what happened but for the lights to stay on is normal. Capacitors are like batteries but they don't supply a charge for long.

alpha12903

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

The power light has been glowing for at least an hour now...

and I know what you mean, as usually the power will be.... used? when the power button, which dosen't happen in this odd case...

BUT: Would it really be possible for the DVD to be able to open and close? Because that's the oddest part. It still works.....

I always appreciate any help!

alpha12903

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

Nope...

alpha12903

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

Will do so and will upload a video...

anything to try after that? I will also now unplug the PSU from the motherboard and disk drives.

PS: how do we upload a video on Tomshardware, or is the impossible?

alpha12903

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Removed CMOS battery... looks ok for now....

Would it be ok to boot up without the battery? I heard you could, that it would just reset the time, date, and boot settings....

I could replace it with a know working one from an old computer, but I dont know if the battery is of the same type....

The video is still "being processed", but the link is http://youtu.be/aJ07d43JMUU ....

~Sam

alpha12903

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

Could it really be? Is it really enough to power the DVD and all those LED's?

The computer was replaced, not the monitor-

Note that the monitor was plugged in through all of these tests.... I never thought the monitor would be the issue.

I'll see what happens.... Could the monitor also prevent it from sleep? Could the monitor short out the PSU?

PS: Nice name, "Noob2222", quite ironic since you're a "vet"

alpha12903

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
******Just noticed something again! :eek:

While the MONITOR was unplugged and powered off, the VGA Amplified (power consuming thing) splitter was on the whole time! Will get rid of that thing and see what happens later today (9/3)

BTW: Happy labor day!

alpha12903

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

***Selects as best answer***

Computer is still off!!!
And turns on when I test it!!

BUT THE STORY ONLY GETS WEIRDER.

The computer runs fine ONLY WHEN the vga (splitter amplifier) is unplugged.
Could that thing be malfunctioning? it was working fine with another computer.

I'll replace the splitter and see what happens.

alpha12903

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

That defiantly seems to be the case. Still haven't got around to replacing the Splitter yet.

alpha12903

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Replaced the splitter, and the computer runs fine now! Thanks for the help!!!!

Will select noob2222's answer as best answer.

~Sam

On a different computer I have, it just wont start, its doing the same thing. The PSU "power" indicator blinks for half a second when the power cable is plugged in. Tried replacing the power cable, and the only way to get the computer working again is to remove the CMOS battery and unplug for 10 mins. .... shound I start a new topic or continue this one as it's very similar?

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

New one. Mods tend to lock the thread when they're solved