Samsung DLP operation question

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b Ô Samsung
February 10, 2005 11:12:08 PM

From what I understand the varieties of Samsung DLPs have much in common.

Does anyone know how to deactivate the built in channel tuner? It is
irritating to have to stop on static when cycling through the active
input sources. The TV is smart enough to know the other inputs are
empty, but not the built in tuner.

Mine is the HL-P46633W - the 46"

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 11, 2005 2:22:41 AM

Bobby Walsh wrote:
> From what I understand the varieties of Samsung DLPs have much in common.
>
> Does anyone know how to deactivate the built in channel tuner? It is
> irritating to have to stop on static when cycling through the active
> input sources. The TV is smart enough to know the other inputs are
> empty, but not the built in tuner.

Just program the discrete codes into your remote so that there's a
separate button for each input. Then you never have to "cycle through"
anything.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 11, 2005 3:00:36 AM

In article <walshbj-41C09E.20120810022005@bignews.bellsouth.net>,
Bobby Walsh <walshbj@bellsouthspamspamsp.net> wrote:

> Does anyone know how to deactivate the built in channel tuner? It is
> irritating to have to stop on static when cycling through the active
> input sources.

I don't think it is possible, but you can set the set to display a blue
screen instead of snow when there's no signal.

a b Ô Samsung
February 11, 2005 8:52:51 AM

Just connect the CATV source to the RF input, then at least you will have
channel 3 there when you flash by.
"Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
> In article <walshbj-41C09E.20120810022005@bignews.bellsouth.net>,
> Bobby Walsh <walshbj@bellsouthspamspamsp.net> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know how to deactivate the built in channel tuner? It is
>> irritating to have to stop on static when cycling through the active
>> input sources.
>
> I don't think it is possible, but you can set the set to display a blue
> screen instead of snow when there's no signal.
>
> --
> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 11, 2005 5:12:40 PM

Jim Gilliland wrote:

> Just program the discrete codes into your remote so that there's a
> separate button for each input. Then you never have to "cycle through"
> anything.

Can you give any details on how to do this?
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 11, 2005 5:12:41 PM

******
> Can you give any details on how to do this? ***

Exactly - this would be preferable by a longshot. Do you have this tv
Jim?

Thanks for the bluescreen tip, I found that right after I posted. But
there is still considerable delay in cycling through. I don't even care
that much about what it displays - I just want to skip the stop in the
cycle completely.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 11, 2005 5:46:27 PM

xeaglecrest@worldnet.att.net wrote:
> Jim Gilliland wrote:
>
>>Just program the discrete codes into your remote so that there's a
>>separate button for each input. Then you never have to "cycle through"
>>anything.
>
> Can you give any details on how to do this?

Well, you could buy a fancy remote that already knows all the discrete
codes for a variety of equipment.

Or you could use an inexpensive remote and do some experimenting to find
the correct codes - the manual usually describes the process, at least
on those remotes that are capable of it.

Or you could buy a JP1-capable remote and program the remote from your
computer. I took that approach. It requires quite a bit of learning,
but the result is a single remote that is set up perfectly for my
specific combination of components. And one that can be reprogrammed
whenever I make a change to the system. The remote itself was $35 at
Best Buy. Mine is a One For All URC-8910, though many others will work.
You also need a JP1 cable, which you can make yourself or buy for
under $15 on the web.

Here are some web references that may help you get started:

Here's the webpage describing the basic ability to program your own JP1
remote: http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/

Here's the forum for discussion of the process:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/

Here's the Yahoo group where all the files are kept:

Here's the remote forum at AVS Forums:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&foru...

Here's another discussion forum for remotes:
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-one4all/...

There are probably many other resources out there, but those should get
you started.
February 11, 2005 8:52:42 PM

Somewhere around Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:22:41 -0500, while reading
alt.tv.tech.hdtv, I think I thought I saw this post from Jim Gilliland
<usemylastname@cheerful.com>:

>Bobby Walsh wrote:
>> From what I understand the varieties of Samsung DLPs have much in common.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to deactivate the built in channel tuner? It is
>> irritating to have to stop on static when cycling through the active
>> input sources. The TV is smart enough to know the other inputs are
>> empty, but not the built in tuner.
>
>Just program the discrete codes into your remote so that there's a
>separate button for each input. Then you never have to "cycle through"
>anything.
What have you been smoking? :-)

I think you must be thinking of a different TV.

Marty - mjf at leftcoast-usa.com
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...
well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 11, 2005 10:41:59 PM

Jim, thanks for the info. I had no idea all this could be done with
the correct learning remote. My prior experience was pointing an
existing remote at the learning one and just duplicating the functions
that already existed. Since my Samsung 5063 remote does not allow
direct access to the Source or Picture Size, I thought I was out of
luck.
Bill
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 12, 2005 2:33:18 AM

xeaglecrest@att.net wrote:
> Jim, thanks for the info. I had no idea all this could be done with
> the correct learning remote. My prior experience was pointing an
> existing remote at the learning one and just duplicating the functions
> that already existed. Since my Samsung 5063 remote does not allow
> direct access to the Source or Picture Size, I thought I was out of
> luck.

You're welcome. It can be a lot of work to get the remote set up the
way you want it - especially the first time through while you're
learning how it all works. Personally, I don't find the tools all that
friendly, though I'm also amazed at how much capability someone managed
to program into an Excel spreadsheet. (Then again, imagine what he
could have accomplished if he'd done the work in a more versatile
language... but apparently Excel was what he knew, and you know the old
adage about the hammer and the nail.)
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 13, 2005 1:37:37 PM

You can get a simple splitter, 5-1000GHz, -3.5dB, 2-way at a local Rat Shack
or even a Home Depot for under $10.00. Insert between wall and cable box.
Run the second output via coax to your set. This restored the PoP/PiP
capabilities of my set and allows me to watch the analogs (<100) without
even turning on the cable box. As a side benefit, on some sets, the analog
channels will display better through the coax versus component.
YMMV
--
"Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee."
- Anon

"Bobby Walsh" <walshbj@bellsouthspamspamsp.net> wrote in message
> From what I understand the varieties of Samsung DLPs have much in common.
>
> Does anyone know how to deactivate the built in channel tuner? It is
> irritating to have to stop on static when cycling through the active
> input sources. The TV is smart enough to know the other inputs are
> empty, but not the built in tuner.
>
> Mine is the HL-P46633W - the 46"
>
> Thanks.
February 14, 2005 8:33:06 PM

Somewhere around 11 Feb 2005 19:41:59 -0800, while reading alt.tv.tech.hdtv,
I think I thought I saw this post from "xeaglecrest@att.net"
<eaglecrest@worldnet.att.net>:

>Jim, thanks for the info. I had no idea all this could be done with
>the correct learning remote. My prior experience was pointing an
>existing remote at the learning one and just duplicating the functions
>that already existed. Since my Samsung 5063 remote does not allow
>direct access to the Source or Picture Size, I thought I was out of
>luck.

Don't count on being able to do everything; there are some functions that
are not on the built-in remote, but many functions are simply not possible,
and I'm pretty sure direct access to input is not possible on the Samsung;
nothing I saw on the listed websites indicated that it would be possible
with this particular set.

Unless Jim knows it't possible with this particular set, I wouldn't invest a
lot of time and money. However, there are very nice remotes out there that
makes life easier for complex systems. I have one from Universal, that does
learning, built-in functions, and macros that can be bought for under $100
(often well under), and even includes 50 favorites that you can choose by
name (like CSPAN, MTV, etc).

Marty - mjf at leftcoast-usa.com
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...
well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 14, 2005 8:33:07 PM

Marty wrote:
> Somewhere around 11 Feb 2005 19:41:59 -0800, while reading alt.tv.tech.hdtv,
> I think I thought I saw this post from "xeaglecrest@att.net"
> <eaglecrest@worldnet.att.net>:
>

>>Jim, thanks for the info. I had no idea all this could be done with
>>the correct learning remote. My prior experience was pointing an
>>existing remote at the learning one and just duplicating the functions
>>that already existed. Since my Samsung 5063 remote does not allow
>>direct access to the Source or Picture Size, I thought I was out of
>>luck.
>

> Don't count on being able to do everything; there are some functions that
> are not on the built-in remote, but many functions are simply not possible,
> and I'm pretty sure direct access to input is not possible on the Samsung;
>
> Unless Jim knows it's possible with this particular set.....

It is. The HLP sets from Samsung all have discrete codes available for
source selection. So do the newer builds of the HLN sets. You can find
the codes here:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-discrete...
February 16, 2005 8:39:30 PM

Somewhere around Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:57:24 -0500, while reading
alt.tv.tech.hdtv, I think I thought I saw this post from Jim Gilliland
<usemylastname@cheerful.com>:

>Marty wrote:

>> Don't count on being able to do everything; there are some functions that
>> are not on the built-in remote, but many functions are simply not possible,
>> and I'm pretty sure direct access to input is not possible on the Samsung;
>>
>> Unless Jim knows it's possible with this particular set.....
>
>It is. The HLP sets from Samsung all have discrete codes available for
>source selection. So do the newer builds of the HLN sets. You can find
>the codes here:
>
>http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-discrete...

Well, that's interesting; it looks like a lot more information than most
people (myself included) can safely use. :-) Or at least, a lot more money
than I'm willing to spend for the remote - I'm pretty sure my MX-500 doesn't
have any of those capabilities, and the other ones are way out of my range.

Marty - mjf at leftcoast-usa.com
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...
well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 16, 2005 8:39:31 PM

Marty wrote:
> Somewhere around Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:57:24 -0500, while reading
> alt.tv.tech.hdtv, I think I thought I saw this post from Jim Gilliland
> <usemylastname@cheerful.com>:
>

>>Marty wrote:
>

>>>Don't count on being able to do everything; there are some functions that
>>>are not on the built-in remote, but many functions are simply not possible,
>>>and I'm pretty sure direct access to input is not possible on the Samsung;
>>>
>>>Unless Jim knows it's possible with this particular set.....
>>
>>It is. The HLP sets from Samsung all have discrete codes available for
>>source selection. So do the newer builds of the HLN sets. You can find
>>the codes here:
>>
>>http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-discrete...
>>

> Well, that's interesting; it looks like a lot more information than most
> people (myself included) can safely use. :-) Or at least, a lot more money
> than I'm willing to spend for the remote - I'm pretty sure my MX-500 doesn't
> have any of those capabilities, and the other ones are way out of my range.

The remote that I programmed these codes into costs $35 at Best Buy.
!