Desktop showing half of the icons

My desktop is only showing some of my icons and when i try to add new
icons(drag and drop) i get a message that says desktop does not support long
file names URL 101 or similar type messages., Some of the missing icons are
in the desktop folder tho, and others like office icons have just gone.. If i
try to add a new folder or icon shortcut i am prevented from doing this also..
any suggestions please
thanx
--
helton
welcome u from beijing

Malke

helton_oz wrote:

> My desktop is only showing some of my icons and when i try to add new
> icons(drag and drop) i get a message that says desktop does not
> support long
> file names URL 101 or similar type messages., Some of the missing
> icons are in the desktop folder tho, and others like office icons have
> just gone.. If i try to add a new folder or icon shortcut i am
> prevented from doing this also.. any suggestions please
> thanx

I'm not sure about the error message - it would be good if you could
quote the message text *exactly*. In the meantime, look at this MS
Knowledge Base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;330170

Although it doesn't match the description in your post exactly, you can
try turning on Show Desktop Icons.

1. Right-click an empty area of the Desktop
2. Point to Arrange Icons
3. Left-click on Show Desktop Icons

If this doesn't solve your problem, then post back with the exact error
message.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Thanx Malke
However i have most of the icons and only certain ones seem to have
disappeared...like MS Word
Also when i try to create a new folder on the desktop I get a message
that says ' Unable to create the folder "new folder" The specified path
is invalid. then if i try to create a shortcut i get a message ' Unable
to create the file 'New Shortcut' System unable to find the file
specified..... this is before i have even specified a file
regards
Tony