Windows XP BSOD right at end of shutdown, no idea...help!

yahodahan

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Hi all, thanks for any help-

I have an XP machine that about 8/10 times will BSOD right after shutdown. By that I mean, I click start > shutdown, the computer goes through all the usual motions, then just where you would expect the screen to blank and the computer to shut off, BAM, blue screen in my face. I have to hold the power button down to shut it off after that.

There is no info in the BSOD other than the a "0x000..." code, sorry I forgot to right it all down last time, I will get that info ASAP, I'm sure it would be helpful.

Can't seem to find any help on this issue, if anyone has a thought, would definitly be appreciated!

Thanks!

sturm

Splendid
Did you install any windows updates or new drivers before the problem started?
Run msconfig from the run command and uncheck all startup options. Reboot, use for a little bit then shutdown, restart, use, restart, use. If the problem does not happen again recheck 2 startup options and repeat until/if the problem happens again.
Also might check the memory with a memory utility.

yahodahan

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
weirdest thing in the world. My fix was actually just deleting some recent files from "My Documents" (specifically, 3ds Max files). Might have something to do with being on a domain...I only thought to remove the files, because I remembered the issue started happening right creating them....