simplify start and start up menu(s)

XP Home, SP2.

I have several folders in my C drive under the
"Documents and Settings" folder:

Administrator
All Users
Default User (shaded)
Guest
Owner
Robert (me)

I usually log on from "Robert"

I am concurrently the Owner and Administrator also.

I am the sole user of the computer, though from time to time
I may have a house guest who I give access to the Guest
portion of the computer when logging on.

Each of these folders listed above,
though I can not enter the Default folder,
contains a Start folder.

Most Start folders have Program folders and some have Start Up folders
within.

This seems a bit confusing and complicated, with lots of duplication.

How can I simplify the Start and Start Up folders,
or do I need to simplify them at all?

And I hope this information is useful,

I have run "msconfig" by clicking on Start and then Run
and looked at the tab for startup...,

and have about 38 various programs listed.

How do I determine if I need all these programs at startup?

Am I overloading my system unnecessarily?

I am not a real beginner but am not too advanced either.

And a bit confused.

Please advise,

Thank you in advance,
Robert
6 answers Last reply
More about simplify start start menu

    Hi Robert,

    > I have several folders in my C drive under the "Documents and Settings"
    > folder:

    That's normal, this is what true user profiles are all about.

    > Administrator

    System account, not to be removed.

    > All Users

    This one's the catch all. What's in it will apply to everyone.

    > Default User (shaded)

    Likely an initial account setup when the system was first used until a
    regular user account was set up. This one can usually be removed.

    > Guest

    Another system account, there by design. It's use is exactly as its name
    implies.

    > Owner

    Created by the system manufacturer, similar to the "Default User" account.
    Again, it can be removed if you do not use it.

    > Robert (me)

    This is your account, one you created.

    > I usually log on from "Robert"
    >
    > I am concurrently the Owner and Administrator also.
    >
    > I am the sole user of the computer, though from time to time
    > I may have a house guest who I give access to the Guest
    > portion of the computer when logging on.

    So, basically, the owner and default user accounts are not needed.

    > Each of these folders listed above, though I can not enter the Default
    > folder, contains a Start folder.

    Normal, this is how the profiles are set up to be individualized.

    > Most Start folders have Program folders and some have Start Up folders
    > within.

    Same as above.

    > This seems a bit confusing and complicated, with lots of duplication.

    But actually, they aren't duplicates. What is applied to each account is
    their personal profile folders, and the All Users folders.

    > How can I simplify the Start and Start Up folders, or do I need to
    > simplify them at all?

    You only need your regular account folders, the administrator, all users,
    and guest.

    > And I hope this information is useful, I have run "msconfig" by clicking
    > on Start and then Run
    > and looked at the tab for startup..., and have about 38 various programs
    > listed.

    Probably way too many. Look for ones that pertain to programs that were
    installed after the system was set up. Most, except perhaps antivirus and
    security ones, can be disabled. If you are unsure about an entry, post back
    with it.

    > How do I determine if I need all these programs at startup?

    Common sense mostly. Google is your friend, search on anything you are
    unsure of to find out what it is. Ask here if it still doesn't make sense -
    some may not be "friendly".

    > Am I overloading my system unnecessarily?

    Perhaps, perhaps not. Depends on the applications and your system
    configuration. At a guess, I'd say yes.

    > I am not a real beginner but am not too advanced either.

    Everybody's somewhere along that line.

    > And a bit confused.

    That one too. Hope this helps, please feel free to ask follow-up questions.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote in message
    > XP Home, SP2.

    Rick:
    Thank you for that very detailed answer.

    Do you think I ought to eliminate, that is delete,
    the Default and Owner
    accounts or could that cause more problems than it is worth?

    Guess I will experiment with the msconfig startup list and attempt to
    eliminate the programs from Startup I do not need.

    Again is this an exercise that could lead to serious problems?

    In msconfig / startup,
    Most programs are shown as in location HKLM, one is in location HKCU,
    and then there are those programs showing location of Common Startup (9)
    and finally the location of Startup (9) ...

    of which most of the nine location Startup programs
    are duplicates of Common Startup programs.

    Do you think I can eliminate with minimum of problems the duplicate programs
    showing in the location of Startup?

    Thanks again,
    Robert

> [...]
    >> listed.
    >
    > Probably way too many. Look for ones that pertain to programs that were
    > installed after the system was set up. Most, except perhaps antivirus and
    > security ones, can be disabled. If you are unsure about an entry, post
    > back with it.
    >
    >> How do I determine if I need all these programs at startup?
    >
    > Common sense mostly. Google is your friend, search on anything you are
    > unsure of to find out what it is. Ask here if it still doesn't make
    > sense - some may not be "friendly".
    >
    >> Am I overloading my system unnecessarily?
    >
    > Perhaps, perhaps not. Depends on the applications and your system
    > configuration. At a guess, I'd say yes.
    >
    >> I am not a real beginner but am not too advanced either.
    >
    > Everybody's somewhere along that line.
    >
    >> And a bit confused.
    >
    > That one too. Hope this helps, please feel free to ask follow-up

    My questions are similar. In addition to All Users, the default system
    adminstrator account (which was renamed), and user accounts I set up myself,
    my D&S folder includes these:

    Default User
    LocalService
    NetworkService

    Robert was told he can delete Default User. That account was not set up by a
    user. It was set up by the system. How do you delete the one? It's easy to
    delete accounts you set up yourself, but this does not appear in the list of
    Users in Control Panel, so how do you delete it? Or should you really leave
    it alone and not delete it? Robert wondered if deleting it would cause more
    problems. I wonder the same thing. I assume that LocalService and
    NetworkService are system accounts and cannot be deleted. Correct?

    SeaMaid

    P.S. My display name was changed from ForestSpirit to SeaMaid to make it
    more similar to my email address. Eventually, I'll find a name I like and
    stick with it.

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:11:57 -0700, SeaMaid wrote:

    > My questions are similar. In addition to All Users, the default system
    > adminstrator account (which was renamed), and user accounts I set up myself,
    > my D&S folder includes these:
    >
    > Default User
    > LocalService
    > NetworkService
    >
    > Robert was told he can delete Default User. That account was not set up by a
    > user. It was set up by the system. How do you delete the one? It's easy to
    > delete accounts you set up yourself, but this does not appear in the list of
    > Users in Control Panel, so how do you delete it? Or should you really leave
    > it alone and not delete it? Robert wondered if deleting it would cause more
    > problems. I wonder the same thing. I assume that LocalService and
    > NetworkService are system accounts and cannot be deleted. Correct?
    >
    > SeaMaid
    >
    > P.S. My display name was changed from ForestSpirit to SeaMaid to make it
    > more similar to my email address. Eventually, I'll find a name I like and
    > stick with it.

    I prefer to leave the account Default user in place. It is used as a
    template when new accounts are created. The other two that you mention are
    system accounts and should be left in place as well. They provide
    credentials for parts of your installed software, some system components
    and some aspects of networking which allow these things to run and perform
    as expected.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    A slight clarification.

    Default User it not an account
    It will never appear in the list of user accounts as it isn't one.

    It is merely a directory tree used as a template for creating the directory
    tree of new user profiles. You can modify it so that all accounts created in
    future contain the modifications.

    Regards
    Mark Dormer

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:12:35 +1000, Mark Dormer wrote:

    > A slight clarification.
    >
    > Default User it not an account
    > It will never appear in the list of user accounts as it isn't one.
    >
    > It is merely a directory tree used as a template for creating the directory
    > tree of new user profiles. You can modify it so that all accounts created in
    > future contain the modifications.
    >
    > Regards
    > Mark Dormer

    Thanks for the clarification and additional info, Mark. Since SeaMaid was
    talking about folders under Documents and Settings in her post, I didn't
    specify the directory tree.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User