Sign in with
Your question

Please help me organize my two non-RAID HDDs!

Last response: in Storage
June 19, 2007 11:43:17 PM

OK, this is probably going to sound like a stupid, really basic question for all of you, but this is my first build so bear with me. I've searched everywhere and can't find out how to set up my two hard drives to have them function optimally.

I have one 80 GB HDD that I have Vista installed on, and one 500 GB HDD I wanted for all my data and games. They are both SATA 3.0, 7200 RPM.

Well - windows is working great. I tried installing a game today and changing the path to my big HDD, and it said it couldn't do that.

I sent "My documents" to my bigger HDD also, and now I can't find it ANYWHERE on either drive.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to have my system load with the 80 gig HDD and have everything else on the 500 GB. And an answer like "just put your SWAP file on the big drive" wasn't too much help because I don't know what that means, or how to do that.

If someone doesn't mind, and has the time, could anyone explain in detail the best, most efficient way to set up these drives? I have some games to install but don't want them on my C drive (the 80 GB) for fear of running out of space. Thanks so much!

More about : organize raid hdds

June 20, 2007 12:35:09 AM

The easiest way to do this is to put your OS and programs on the 80GB and your data on the 500GB. To do this just always save the data to folders on the 500GB rather than the default folder, which will be in Documents Settings on the 80GB. If your using Office, you can set any of the programs to always open and save to the 500GB. All the other programs will ask where you want to save something, e.g., photos or music when you download or rip it. For downloads make sure your Browser is set to always ask where to download something and again make sure it's to the 500GB. Once you get used to it you don't even have to think about it.
!