Low end RPTV suggestions.

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 10, 2005 9:29:06 PM

My 82 year old neighbor is dumping her 12 year old "big screen" 46"
projection television and has enlisted me to help her find a replacement in
the $1500 range. Looking for RPTV 50+ " . Anyone have any winners they can
recommend as I haven't looked at many televisions in that low of a price
range.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 1:32:14 AM

"Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message
> My 82 year old neighbor is dumping her 12 year old "big screen" 46"
> projection television and has enlisted me to help her find a replacement
> in the $1500 range. Looking for RPTV 50+ " . Anyone have any winners they
> can recommend as I haven't looked at many televisions in that low of a
> price range.

Philips 60" at Costco - $1500

EXCELLENT value - only issue is one HD component and one DVI input.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 8:51:23 AM

At that price you have a relatively large choice inclusive of Hitachi, Sony,
Panasonic, Toshiba, Phillips, JVC, Etc. Have a go at a few of the retailers,
choose on quality, service reliability, and the budget available. Consumer's
Reports may be of assistance.
"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message
>> My 82 year old neighbor is dumping her 12 year old "big screen" 46"
>> projection television and has enlisted me to help her find a replacement
>> in the $1500 range. Looking for RPTV 50+ " . Anyone have any winners they
>> can recommend as I haven't looked at many televisions in that low of a
>> price range.
>
> Philips 60" at Costco - $1500
>
> EXCELLENT value - only issue is one HD component and one DVI input.

February 11, 2005 10:54:51 AM

"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message
> > My 82 year old neighbor is dumping her 12 year old "big screen" 46"
> > projection television and has enlisted me to help her find a replacement
> > in the $1500 range. Looking for RPTV 50+ " . Anyone have any winners
they
> > can recommend as I haven't looked at many televisions in that low of a
> > price range.
>
> Philips 60" at Costco - $1500
>
> EXCELLENT value - only issue is one HD component and one DVI input.

Ever try to service a Philips product? Ever try to get service support from
them? I'd stick with Sony, Hitachi and Mitsubishi.

Leonard
February 11, 2005 3:34:27 PM

I'd look at the 51" Hitachi sets, you should be able to get one in that
price range.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 10:00:09 PM

Thanks all.

<jeremy@pdq.net> wrote in message
> I'd look at the 51" Hitachi sets, you should be able to get one in that
> price range.

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 10:32:54 PM

Sony, Hitachi, Toshiba are all well regarded and are around that price.
The Perfect Vision did a review of those about a year ago and approved
of each. Of course, they'll look even better if you can plug her into
some HD content (assuming she hadn't been watching it with her old TV).
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 9:48:56 PM

Mitsubishi 55315.

55" RPTV. Great, great TV. Sears has it for $1799 but HH Gregg had it a
few weeks back for $1399.

<><

Charles Tomaras <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message
> My 82 year old neighbor is dumping her 12 year old "big screen" 46"
> projection television and has enlisted me to help her find a replacement
in
> the $1500 range. Looking for RPTV 50+ " . Anyone have any winners they can
> recommend as I haven't looked at many televisions in that low of a price
> range.

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 10:08:54 AM

"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message
>> My 82 year old neighbor is dumping her 12 year old "big screen" 46"
>> projection television and has enlisted me to help her find a replacement
>> in the $1500 range. Looking for RPTV 50+ " . Anyone have any winners they
>> can recommend as I haven't looked at many televisions in that low of a
>> price range.
>
> Philips 60" at Costco - $1500
>
> EXCELLENT value - only issue is one HD component and one DVI input.

Every Philips set that I have seen has VERY visible scan lines on almost all
sources.
!