WinXPPro - can't google thru IntExplorer and can't search ..

June 14, 2005 3:34:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi all,

Not sure what going on.

I can't seem to google. - This page cannot be displayed. Nor can I right
click to Open page in another window. The another window comes up blank.

Nor search thru Start | search | file or folders - the search bar is just
blank.

I've spent 3 days on another computer connected to the same net work
searching the internet for a fix. But nothing seems to work.

I've create another user on the same computer.
But the problems still exist on both users.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
baz
June 14, 2005 3:34:26 PM

baz wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Not sure what going on.
>
> I can't seem to google. - This page cannot be displayed. Nor can I
> right
> click to Open page in another window. The another window comes up
> blank.
>
> Nor search thru Start | search | file or folders - the search bar is
> just blank.
>
> I've spent 3 days on another computer connected to the same net work
> searching the internet for a fix. But nothing seems to work.
>
> I've create another user on the same computer.
> But the problems still exist on both users.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> thanks
> baz

Please tell us what you have already tried. "Nothing seems to work" is
not enough information. Have you scanned with a current version
antivirus (not earlier than 2004) using updated definitions? Have you
scanned for non-viral malware with programs like Ad-aware and Spybot
Search & Destroy? Have you done all these scans in Safe Mode? If you
want help, please post back with details about your computer, the
problem, your Internet connection, and what you've already done.

In the meantime, here are general malware removal steps:
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing...

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Thanks for the acknowledgement.

The "nothing seems to work" was designed to chase off the guessing game.
And I had hoped to hook a response of "Yep, been there, and this is how to
fix it."

Hi Jack This.
Spy Sweeper
Spybot Search and Distroy
Adware Away

SpyWareGuard
Scotty

All the latest and greatest.

None in safe mode.

More specific answers with more specific questions.

> baz wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Not sure what going on.
>>
>> I can't seem to google. - This page cannot be displayed. Nor can I
>> right
>> click to Open page in another window. The another window comes up
>> blank.
>>
>> Nor search thru Start | search | file or folders - the search bar is
>> just blank.
>>
>> I've spent 3 days on another computer connected to the same net work
>> searching the internet for a fix. But nothing seems to work.
>>
>> I've create another user on the same computer.
>> But the problems still exist on both users.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> thanks
>> baz
>
> Please tell us what you have already tried. "Nothing seems to work" is
> not enough information. Have you scanned with a current version
> antivirus (not earlier than 2004) using updated definitions? Have you
> scanned for non-viral malware with programs like Ad-aware and Spybot
> Search & Destroy? Have you done all these scans in Safe Mode? If you
> want help, please post back with details about your computer, the
> problem, your Internet connection, and what you've already done.
>
> In the meantime, here are general malware removal steps:
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing...
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Related resources
June 14, 2005 6:01:39 PM

baz wrote:

> Thanks for the acknowledgement.
>
> The "nothing seems to work" was designed to chase off the guessing
> game. And I had hoped to hook a response of "Yep, been there, and this
> is how to fix it."
>
> Hi Jack This.
> Spy Sweeper
> Spybot Search and Distroy
> Adware Away
>
> SpyWareGuard
> Scotty
>
> All the latest and greatest.
>
> None in safe mode.
>
> More specific answers with more specific questions.

I'm not sure what you mean by "designed to chase off the guessing game",
but guessing what an Original Poster actually means and trying to
gather the necessary information over numerous posts is annoying and a
waste of time. Providing clear and full descriptions of problems and
the computer involved will get you focused troubleshooting. I do not
say this to hurt your feelings; I'm trying to help you maximize your
chances of getting an answer.

Go through the general malware removal steps I referenced in my first
post. Here is the link again for your convenience:
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing...

It is crucial that you do everything in Safe Mode with updated tools.
Please note that if you use HijackThis it is an *expert* tool. You
should post your log in one of the forums below (*not* here, please),
following that forum's posting guidelines. I recommend the AumHa forum,
but all are excellent.

http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
Eshelman
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtu... -
another tutorial
http://aumha.net - forums
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
forum
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/

After you are sure your computer is 100% virus and spyware-free, you may
need to repair the Windows Search function. Make sure you have enabled
the ability to see all hidden files/folders (Folder Options applet in
Control Panel). Then look in the hidden Windows\inf folder for the
srchasst.inf file, right-click and take Install.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
June 14, 2005 10:54:59 PM

Tried to reinstall WinXPPro wSP2

But couldn't because the cd is sp1.
I had used auto updates for sp2.
So no telling where sp2 is.

Tried your srchasst.inf install.
It wants something from the sp2 cd.

Now thats frustrating!

> baz wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the acknowledgement.
>>
>> The "nothing seems to work" was designed to chase off the guessing
>> game. And I had hoped to hook a response of "Yep, been there, and this
>> is how to fix it."
>>
>> Hi Jack This.
>> Spy Sweeper
>> Spybot Search and Distroy
>> Adware Away
>>
>> SpyWareGuard
>> Scotty
>>
>> All the latest and greatest.
>>
>> None in safe mode.
>>
>> More specific answers with more specific questions.

> I'm not sure what you mean by "designed to chase off the guessing game",
> but guessing what an Original Poster actually means and trying to
> gather the necessary information over numerous posts is annoying and a
> waste of time. Providing clear and full descriptions of problems and
> the computer involved will get you focused troubleshooting. I do not
> say this to hurt your feelings; I'm trying to help you maximize your
> chances of getting an answer.
>
> Go through the general malware removal steps I referenced in my first
> post. Here is the link again for your convenience:
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing...
>
> It is crucial that you do everything in Safe Mode with updated tools.
> Please note that if you use HijackThis it is an *expert* tool. You
> should post your log in one of the forums below (*not* here, please),
> following that forum's posting guidelines. I recommend the AumHa forum,
> but all are excellent.
>
> http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
> Eshelman
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtu... -
> another tutorial
> http://aumha.net - forums
> http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
> forum
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
> http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
>
> After you are sure your computer is 100% virus and spyware-free, you may
> need to repair the Windows Search function. Make sure you have enabled
> the ability to see all hidden files/folders (Folder Options applet in
> Control Panel). Then look in the hidden Windows\inf folder for the
> srchasst.inf file, right-click and take Install.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
June 14, 2005 10:55:00 PM

baz wrote:

> Tried to reinstall WinXPPro wSP2
>
> But couldn't because the cd is sp1.
> I had used auto updates for sp2.
> So no telling where sp2 is.
>

> Tried your srchasst.inf install.
> It wants something from the sp2 cd.
>
> Now thats frustrating!

If you decided to do a Repair Install and you had previously upgraded
from XP SP1 to SP2, you would need to do the Repair Install with a
slipstreamed version of XP. Here are some links to help you with
slipstreaming:

How to slipstream sp2 into XP
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticl...
http://www.windows-help.net/windowsxp/winxp-sp2-bootcd....

And here is a link to information about doing a Repair Install:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
June 15, 2005 5:40:25 AM

I can't believe I'm the first to see this problem.

Probably Not.

I repaired using the Win XP Pro SP 1 CD by booting from the CD.

Took forever.

This fixed all problems with InetExplorer Googleing and hyperlinking, and
with WinExplorer F3 Searching (no longer a blank left tool bar).

Then installed using the sp2 downloaded form MS Network install. 255 megs
download in about 4 mins. Zoom!

Then waited for the rest from WindowsUpdate.

All is well and working.

Thanks for the hyperlink on repairing.

baz
June 15, 2005 5:40:26 AM

baz wrote:

> All is well and working.
>
> Thanks for the hyperlink on repairing.

I'm glad you got your problem sorted. Thanks for taking the time to let
me know.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers