WinXPPro - can't google thru IntExplorer and can't search ..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi all,

Not sure what going on.

I can't seem to google. - This page cannot be displayed. Nor can I right
click to Open page in another window. The another window comes up blank.

Nor search thru Start | search | file or folders - the search bar is just
blank.

I've spent 3 days on another computer connected to the same net work
searching the internet for a fix. But nothing seems to work.

I've create another user on the same computer.
But the problems still exist on both users.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
baz
7 answers Last reply
More about winxppro google intexplorer search
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    baz wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Not sure what going on.
    >
    > I can't seem to google. - This page cannot be displayed. Nor can I
    > right
    > click to Open page in another window. The another window comes up
    > blank.
    >
    > Nor search thru Start | search | file or folders - the search bar is
    > just blank.
    >
    > I've spent 3 days on another computer connected to the same net work
    > searching the internet for a fix. But nothing seems to work.
    >
    > I've create another user on the same computer.
    > But the problems still exist on both users.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > thanks
    > baz

    Please tell us what you have already tried. "Nothing seems to work" is
    not enough information. Have you scanned with a current version
    antivirus (not earlier than 2004) using updated definitions? Have you
    scanned for non-viral malware with programs like Ad-aware and Spybot
    Search & Destroy? Have you done all these scans in Safe Mode? If you
    want help, please post back with details about your computer, the
    problem, your Internet connection, and what you've already done.

    In the meantime, here are general malware removal steps:

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Thanks for the acknowledgement.

    The "nothing seems to work" was designed to chase off the guessing game.
    And I had hoped to hook a response of "Yep, been there, and this is how to
    fix it."

    Hi Jack This.
    Spy Sweeper
    Spybot Search and Distroy
    Adware Away

    SpyWareGuard
    Scotty

    All the latest and greatest.

    None in safe mode.

    More specific answers with more specific questions.

    baz wrote:

    > Thanks for the acknowledgement.
    >
    > The "nothing seems to work" was designed to chase off the guessing
    > game. And I had hoped to hook a response of "Yep, been there, and this
    > is how to fix it."
    >
    > Hi Jack This.
    > Spy Sweeper
    > Spybot Search and Distroy
    > Adware Away
    >
    > SpyWareGuard
    > Scotty
    >
    > All the latest and greatest.
    >
    > None in safe mode.
    >
    > More specific answers with more specific questions.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "designed to chase off the guessing game",
    but guessing what an Original Poster actually means and trying to
    gather the necessary information over numerous posts is annoying and a
    waste of time. Providing clear and full descriptions of problems and
    the computer involved will get you focused troubleshooting. I do not
    say this to hurt your feelings; I'm trying to help you maximize your
    chances of getting an answer.

    Go through the general malware removal steps I referenced in my first
    post. Here is the link again for your convenience:

    It is crucial that you do everything in Safe Mode with updated tools.
    Please note that if you use HijackThis it is an *expert* tool. You
    should post your log in one of the forums below (*not* here, please),
    following that forum's posting guidelines. I recommend the AumHa forum,
    but all are excellent.

    http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
    Eshelman
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42 -
    another tutorial
    http://aumha.net - forums
    http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
    forum
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/

    After you are sure your computer is 100% virus and spyware-free, you may
    need to repair the Windows Search function. Make sure you have enabled
    the ability to see all hidden files/folders (Folder Options applet in
    Control Panel). Then look in the hidden Windows\inf folder for the
    srchasst.inf file, right-click and take Install.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Tried to reinstall WinXPPro wSP2

    But couldn't because the cd is sp1.
    I had used auto updates for sp2.
    So no telling where sp2 is.

    Tried your srchasst.inf install.
    It wants something from the sp2 cd.

    Now thats frustrating!

    baz wrote:

    > Tried to reinstall WinXPPro wSP2
    >
    > But couldn't because the cd is sp1.
    > I had used auto updates for sp2.
    > So no telling where sp2 is.
    >

    > Tried your srchasst.inf install.
    > It wants something from the sp2 cd.
    >
    > Now thats frustrating!

    If you decided to do a Repair Install and you had previously upgraded
    from XP SP1 to SP2, you would need to do the Repair Install with a
    slipstreamed version of XP. Here are some links to help you with
    slipstreaming:

    How to slipstream sp2 into XP
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
    http://www.windows-help.net/windowsxp/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

    And here is a link to information about doing a Repair Install:

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I can't believe I'm the first to see this problem.

    Probably Not.

    I repaired using the Win XP Pro SP 1 CD by booting from the CD.

    Took forever.

    This fixed all problems with InetExplorer Googleing and hyperlinking, and
    with WinExplorer F3 Searching (no longer a blank left tool bar).

    Then installed using the sp2 downloaded form MS Network install. 255 megs
    download in about 4 mins. Zoom!

    Then waited for the rest from WindowsUpdate.

    All is well and working.

    Thanks for the hyperlink on repairing.

    baz

    baz wrote:

    > All is well and working.
    >
    > Thanks for the hyperlink on repairing.

    I'm glad you got your problem sorted. Thanks for taking the time to let
    me know.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers