Sign in with
Your question

HELP... Idiot Blunder

Tags:
Last response: in Storage
June 20, 2007 12:17:10 AM

So I was a diligent little techie and backed up all my files because I was going to install a fresh version on XP Pro. As I finished installing all my windows updates, firewalls, anti virus/spyware, video players, ect... I went to restore all my documents from my backup..... ONLY TO FIND THAT I INSTALLED XP ON THE BACKUP DRIVE ACCIDENTALLY!!!!!! Luckily I did the quick format, so hopefully there is still some data to recover.

And I know what your thinking... just go back into the other drive and get the files from the original... oh nooo.... I f'd that up too. Instead of just copying the files to the backup drive. I actually CUT and PASTED them. Don't ask me why, I just did without thinking.

My question is what software is best suited to recover my lost data. I've tried easus - trial version wouldn't find them
pc Inspector File Recovery
undelete Plus
restoration

So far I can't find the files, am I doing something wrong? should these programs be finding them? or am I just out of luck?

More about : idiot blunder

June 20, 2007 12:52:55 AM

I've had good luck with R-Studio to recover data. I think your best bet is to try to recover the data from the original partition. Although you "cut" it, it probably wasn't overwritten. Since you formatted and installed windows on the other partition, it is likely that at least some is overwritten. Whatever you do, do not write any data to the original partition if you want to have any chance to recover it. GL
June 20, 2007 1:02:12 AM

Quote:
I've had good luck with R-Studio to recover data. I think your best bet is to try to recover the data from the original partition. Although you "cut" it, it probably wasn't overwritten. Since you formatted and installed windows on the other partition, it is likely that at least some is overwritten. Whatever you do, do not write any data to the original partition if you want to have any chance to recover it. GL

Dito, The files on the one you just installed windows on, have probably been over written, your best bet is to run file recovery on your original drive.
!