DirecTV Superbowl Ad::1,500 HD Channels Coming

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 11, 2005 8:48:26 AM

Was I the only one that saw the DirecTV ad during the superbowl that claimed
they were launching new sats that are going to carry 1,500 HD channels? I
presume that 1,494 of them will be local channels.

CM
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 6:33:13 PM

I saw a Directv ad last night (2/10) that mentioned the 1500 HD channels and
my hair immediately stood on end...I would love to see this further
discussed.

"CM" <cm2dd@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Was I the only one that saw the DirecTV ad during the superbowl that
> claimed
> they were launching new sats that are going to carry 1,500 HD channels? I
> presume that 1,494 of them will be local channels.
>
> CM

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 6:44:24 PM

What I think was said is
new satellites with UP TO 1500 channels.....

But regardless, it is good news! As I've always
been with DTV and will never to go to cable or DISH.

--
Ric Seyler
February 11, 2005 7:19:14 PM

Kevin Thurman (kevthurm@bellsouth.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> I saw a Directv ad last night (2/10) that mentioned the 1500 HD channels and
> my hair immediately stood on end...I would love to see this further
> discussed.

The 1500 number is for digital LIL (local-into-local). DirecTV should
have the capacity for about 150 CONUS HD channels using MPEG-4 and 8PSK
on Ka band satellites.

To receive *any* of these HD channels you will need:
- a new dish
- a new multiswitch system (DirecTV is not saying how it will work)
- new receivers

--
Jeff Rife | "Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But
| then you get to the end and a gorilla starts
| throwing barrels at you."
| -- Philip J. Fry, "Futurama"
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 8:26:03 PM

My take on it was a little different...I presently have Voom in my Home
Theater and Dish net in the rest of the house...I have fallen in love with
Voom....no noticeable downrezzing of picture ala Dish & Direct and quality
of service is fantastic albeit there are some repeats on their
channels...anyway, since Voom's satellite was purchased by Dish, I was
resigned to eventually losing Voom and thus have to go back to Dish's paltry
HD offering. So when I saw the Directv ad stating 1500 HD channel
capability, my ears naturally perked up as I was looking to replace Voom.

It now turns out that Charles Dolan & his son Tom may buy Voom's programming
and remaining assets and start their own DBS company called Voom HD II, LLC
so it looks like I won't have to switch from Voom after all...I really
dreaded having to go back to Dish or switch over to Directtv for my HD.

I had a feeling that the Directtv ad had something to do with OTA
reception....
"RicSeyler" <ricseyler@SPAMgulf.net> wrote in message
> What I think was said is
> new satellites with UP TO 1500 channels.....
>
> But regardless, it is good news! As I've always
> been with DTV and will never to go to cable or DISH.
>
> CM wrote:
>
>>Was I the only one that saw the DirecTV ad during the superbowl that
>>claimed
>>they were launching new sats that are going to carry 1,500 HD channels? I
>>presume that 1,494 of them will be local channels.
>>
>>CM
>>

> --
> Ric Seyler

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 10:34:18 PM

If you had listened closely to the ad, that's exactly what they said. HD
Locals.

In article <KGXOd.15184$uc.9903@trnddc05> "CM" <cm2dd@netscape.net>
writes:

>Was I the only one that saw the DirecTV ad during the superbowl that claimed
>they were launching new sats that are going to carry 1,500 HD channels? I
>presume that 1,494 of them will be local channels.
>
>CM

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 10:34:19 PM

"Mr Fixit" <MrFixit@msn.com> wrote in message
> If you had listened closely to the ad, that's exactly what they said. HD
> Locals.

================================
I already get ALL my locals via antenna - with perfect reception.
This move by DirecTV will do me no good.
I have been hoping for more REAL new HD programming.

Guess I will dump them when my latest commitment runs
out........................
===================================
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 10:40:38 PM

In article <MPG.1c76eb6087781f1989b74@news.nabs.net> Jeff Rife
<wevsr@nabs.net> writes:

>Kevin Thurman (kevthurm@bellsouth.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
>> I saw a Directv ad last night (2/10) that mentioned the 1500 HD channels and
>> my hair immediately stood on end...I would love to see this further
>> discussed.

>The 1500 number is for digital LIL (local-into-local). DirecTV should
>have the capacity for about 150 CONUS HD channels using MPEG-4 and 8PSK
>on Ka band satellites.

>To receive *any* of these HD channels you will need:
>- a new dish
>- a new multiswitch system (DirecTV is not saying how it will work)
>- new receivers

Again... from the ad which aired, the small print at the bottom indicated
subscribers would need a triple-sat dish, which of course implies the need
for a 4x4 (or 5x4) multiswitch, just like their current triple-sat dish
uses today. New (hd-capable) receivers? DOH...
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 10:42:17 PM

In article <NdaPd.15793$mu6.9502@bignews5.bellsouth.net> "Kevin Thurman"
<kevthurm@bellsouth.net> writes:

>I had a feeling that the Directtv ad had something to do with OTA
>reception....

It had nothing to do with OTA reception.
Neither stated nor implied.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 1:13:37 AM

Mr Fixit (MrFixit@msn.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> >To receive *any* of these HD channels you will need:
> >- a new dish
> >- a new multiswitch system (DirecTV is not saying how it will work)
> >- new receivers
>
> Again... from the ad which aired, the small print at the bottom indicated
> subscribers would need a triple-sat dish, which of course implies the need
> for a 4x4 (or 5x4) multiswitch, just like their current triple-sat dish
> uses today.

Well, that fine print is just wrong. The current dishes are too small for
the Ka-band signals, have the wrong LNBs for Ka-band signals, and might
be pointed towards the wrong place (I'm not sure where the new satellites
will go compared to where the current ones are). It's likely that far
more than three dual LNBs will be required, at least during the transition
period, since the current satellites use up all of the existing LNBs, and
you would need at least two more for Ka-band: one for spot-beam locals and
one for CONUS signals.

So, once you get the dish up, you then need a multiswitch system that
handles 6 (or more) LNBs, and the current ones don't.

Once you get past that hurdle, you need a new receiver that can tune the
8PSK modulation used on the Ka-band satellites (the current Ku-band birds
use 4PSK).

Then, you need to add an MPEG-4 decoder chip to the receiver to be able to
decode the picture.

All that adds up to new hardware, but it should be cheap (or free) from
DirecTV, so who cares?

--
Jeff Rife | "Because he was human; because he had goodness;
| because he was moral they called him insane.
| Delusions of grandeur; visions of splendor;
| A manic-depressive, he walks in the rain."
| -- Rush, "Cinderella Man"
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 1:38:43 AM

Richard C. (post-age@spamcop.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> I already get ALL my locals via antenna - with perfect reception.

Many of us aren't that lucky. I need a rotator to be able to get my HD
locals, which plays havoc with recording via the HD DirecTiVo, and I still
can't get the 1.4kW UPN station.

> This move by DirecTV will do me no good.
> I have been hoping for more REAL new HD programming.

150 national HD channels not good enough for you? Heck, there won't be
enough existing HD channels to fill that up when the satellite goes
into service before the end of this year.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/RhymesWithOrange/BigDogs.g...
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 5:00:48 AM

Well ... it was the Superbowl, and I was eatin' chili and drinking beer with
friends. It's quite possible that I missed something! Thanks, Mr. Fixit.

CM

"Mr Fixit" <MrFixit@msn.com> wrote in message
> If you had listened closely to the ad, that's exactly what they said. HD
> Locals.
>
> In article <KGXOd.15184$uc.9903@trnddc05> "CM" <cm2dd@netscape.net>
> writes:
>
> >Was I the only one that saw the DirecTV ad during the superbowl that
claimed
> >they were launching new sats that are going to carry 1,500 HD channels? I
> >presume that 1,494 of them will be local channels.
> >
> >CM

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 12:09:35 PM

In article <420d5c31$0$11675$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com> "Richard C."
<post-age@spamcop.net> writes:

>I already get ALL my locals via antenna - with perfect reception.

As do we.. The move by DirecTV is aimed at those customers who either
don't want to put up a(nother) outside antenna or whose locals come from
multiple azimuths.

>This move by DirecTV will do me no good.

But it will help many

>I have been hoping for more REAL new HD programming.

[sigh] well yes, I had also. However, without mentioning any names, we've
seen one broadcaster's farce-like attempt at bringing more HD programming
and frankly, I'm just not interested in 20~30 channels of old movies.
i.e., HD just for the sake of HD. Unfortunately, the channels we watch
(i.e., Lifetime, USA, Foc-Snooze, etc.) do not yet broadcast in HD. We're
presently taking advantage of DTV's 6-month free trial of their $10.99 HD
programming package. In the 4 months we've had it, I think we've watched
no more than 3 programs.

Perhaps -SOME DAY- in the future HD will become the defacto standard and
"high-end" sets will top out at $3~4000 instead of $20,000. Until then it
will be mostly a novelty, enjoyed primarily by the same types of mostly
affluent (or affluent-think-they-are's and wannabes) people whose parents
were first on their block to have a color TV.

>Guess I will dump them when my latest commitment runs
>out........................

I've long considered that; Our DTV bill is $90 a month which is actually a
little absurd when you calculate the number of hours spent watching the
local channels which are available to us free OTA vs the number of hours
spent watching programming that would otherwise *require* a cable or sat
subscription.

We truly are a nation of hopelessly addicted couch potatoes. Before the
widespread availability of VCRs my wife and I actually found ourselves
scheduling our social calendar around the mohogany knothole. Getting
together with friends on Friday night meant missing "Dallas" and "Falcon
Crest".
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 9:32:19 PM

MrFixit@msn.com (Mr Fixit) wrote (in part):

>Perhaps -SOME DAY- in the future HD will become the defacto standard and
>"high-end" sets will top out at $3~4000 instead of $20,000. Until then it
>will be mostly a novelty, enjoyed primarily by the same types of mostly
>affluent (or affluent-think-they-are's and wannabes) people whose parents
>were first on their block to have a color TV.

My parents were the LAST on the block to get a B&W TV. As a kid I
begged them to buy a color set instead, but they wisely stuck to their
guns. Color was expensive and cantankerous. I bought them their
first color set and built it while I was home on leave from the Navy
(Heathkit, all tubes).

>Our DTV bill is $90 a month which is actually a
>little absurd when you calculate the number of hours spent watching the
>local channels which are available to us free OTA vs the number of hours
>spent watching programming that would otherwise *require* a cable or sat
>subscription.

I had DirecTV for 8 years, gradually reducing service as they raised
prices. I was grandfathered with Select Choice and just dropped it
altogether because I rarely watched it. Aside from the fact that it
just didn't look good on a big screen, the few channels that used to
be good have given up and are rerunning shows I've already seen OTA.
I'd like to have some of the specialty HD channels, but not at the
high monthly minimum required before I can subscribe to the extras.
Otherwise, almost everything I want to watch is available OTA for
free.

Del Mibbler
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 10:51:27 PM

What kind of antenna do you use?
> ================================
> I already get ALL my locals via antenna - with perfect reception.
> This move by DirecTV will do me no good.
> I have been hoping for more REAL new HD programming.
>
> Guess I will dump them when my latest commitment runs
> out........................
> ===================================

Anonymous
February 13, 2005 12:23:33 AM

Kevin Thurman wrote:
> I saw a Directv ad last night (2/10) that mentioned the 1500 HD channels and
> my hair immediately stood on end...I would love to see this further
> discussed.

10 new HD channels and 1490 channels of unrecordable HD music! DOH! ;-)
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 4:15:27 PM

"Logan Spitznauer" <mjdr10a@prodigy.net> wrote:
> http://www.lyngsat.com/launches/2005.html
>
> This satellite launch schedule shows 101° and 119° so we should be okay
> with our triple LNB dishes.

Actually it show 99 and 101.
Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 4:15:28 PM

Not according to the DirecTV launches. Spaceway shows that. Does DirecTV
use Spaceway SATs?

> Actually it show 99 and 101.
> Chip

February 13, 2005 4:15:29 PM

A poster named Logan Spitznauer asked:
----"Not according to the DirecTV launches.Spaceway shows that.Does
DirecTV use Spaceway SATS?"----

Reply:
DirecTV will indeed be using Spaceway satellites in their coming local
HD satellite plans.Originally slated for broadband use,they are going to
be partially (and mostly) reconfigured for HD video satellite use in a
couple of years.As I understand it,they will be MPEG-4 birds in the
Ka-Band spectrum.The current equipment in use now is likely incompatible
with what is planned.Current equipment is Ku-Band DBS frequencies in an
MPEG-2 format.So most likely anyone wishing to access these sats will
need a new receiver and most likely new LNB's.At the very least,add-on
side-car style equipment to complement current use products.I have a
feeling that all of this will be phased in GRADUALLY as HD evolves in
the marketplace.I doubt anyone wil be displaced by it.Both systems will
be probably operated side by side for many years.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 12:53:21 AM

"Logan Spitznauer" <mjdr10a@prodigy.net> wrote:
> Not according to the DirecTV launches. Spaceway shows that. Does
> DirecTV use Spaceway SATs?
> >
> > Actually it show 99 and 101.
> > Chip
> >
> > --
> > -------------------- http://NewsReader.Com/ --------------------
> > Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

I just went by the link that you posted.
It shows the Spaceway sats at 99 and 101.
Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 10:07:12 AM

"Logan Spitznauer" <mjdr10a@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> What kind of antenna do you use?
>> I already get ALL my locals via antenna - with perfect reception.
>> This move by DirecTV will do me no good.
>> I have been hoping for more REAL new HD programming.
>>
>> Guess I will dump them when my latest commitment runs

I use the top-of-the-line uint from Radio Shack.
Also have a rotator.
Total cost with cable, mast, etc ~$200