I have heard some pretty bad review about the striker extreme

Do you need SLI? The Intel 965 boards offer great performance and value currrently. The 650i is another option. Much better price with the 650i. If I needed SLi (I have three sli systems running curently) I would definately look at the 650i chipset.

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
No such thing as a best gaming motherboard really, as the mobo usually makes a difference of around 3 fps at the most.

What you need to look for is features that suit you. Which board has SLI or Crossfire if you want them, which board O/C's well if you want to do it, which board has good onboard audio if your not going discrete.

Come up with a list of things you want in a motherboard and then ask what's best.

What is the best socket 775 mobo with nVIDIA 680i SLI?

Define "best".

Most features but expensive: Gigabyte GA-N680i-DQ6, Asus Striker Extreme
Fewer frills but better bang for the buck: P5N32-E SLI Plus (hybrid 650i/680i, still runs two cards at 16x each like the 680i mobos), P5N32-E SLI, eVGA A1.

Plenty to choose from. Go to www.anandtech.com (or use Google) and read reviews. It depends on what features you want and how much you can spend.

I would choose the striker over the P5N32 if I could afford it.

Why? They perform exactly the same the only difference for your extra $130 is a external sata and some lights, review ,not really worth the price.

I had to return a Nvida 590 SLI board because of it's sensitivity to RAM and general poor performance. That was last fall when C2D first came on the scene. As far as prefering the ASUS Striker over the P5N32, I have never owned a Striker and I'm curious how I would like it. I have the ASUS A8N32-SLI up and running currently. It's the top board for the NF4 series. I'm sure ASUS's top of the line 680i would be fun to build. Really...I would probably buy the 650i at this point if I had to make a choice. OP was asking which was the 'best' 680i board. I thought I would cost him a $125 at least for asking. :wink:

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
No such thing as a best gaming motherboard really, as the mobo usually makes a difference of around 3 fps at the most.

Agreed. Choose a mobo based on the features you need, performance differences are negligible outside of OC capability. The rest of your hardware (vid card for gaming) matters more.