Hardware/software for monitoring dropouts in the 1394 outp..

Does anybody know of any hardware/software combination that could
monitor video dropouts in a IEEE 1394 (Firewire) MPEG2 video stream?

Specifically, I'm wondering if there's any easy way to hookup a PC to
the 1394 output of my Comcast/Motorola 6208 and have the PC record
breakup events in the video stream?

Thanks
Ben in DC
PublicMailbox at benslade dot.com
(append 030516 to the subj to bypass spam filters)
Albert Einstein
3 answers Last reply
More about hardware software monitoring dropouts 1394 outp

    Benjamin Slade (PublicMailbox@benslade.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    > Does anybody know of any hardware/software combination that could
    > monitor video dropouts in a IEEE 1394 (Firewire) MPEG2 video stream?
    >
    > Specifically, I'm wondering if there's any easy way to hookup a PC to
    > the 1394 output of my Comcast/Motorola 6208 and have the PC record
    > breakup events in the video stream?

    For non-premium channels, you should be able to use the information in
    these threads at AVS Forum:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=353608
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=403695

    Premium channels might be copy-protected, so the PC won't be able to
    record them.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/AmericaOnline.gif

    Thanks for the links. I've heard about this before. I actually want
    something that wouldn't record the stream, just count hiccups in it.
    That would probably need to be a custom piece of software reusing
    existing Firewire drivers and some MPEG2 decoding software.

    Ben

    Jeff Rife wrote:
    > Benjamin Slade (PublicMailbox@benslade.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    >
    >>Does anybody know of any hardware/software combination that could
    >>monitor video dropouts in a IEEE 1394 (Firewire) MPEG2 video stream?
    >>
    >>Specifically, I'm wondering if there's any easy way to hookup a PC to
    >>the 1394 output of my Comcast/Motorola 6208 and have the PC record
    >>breakup events in the video stream?
    >

    > For non-premium channels, you should be able to use the information in
    > these threads at AVS Forum:
    > http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=353608
    > http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=403695
    >
    > Premium channels might be copy-protected, so the PC won't be able to
    > record them.

    Benjamin Slade (PublicMailbox@benslade.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    > Thanks for the links. I've heard about this before. I actually want
    > something that wouldn't record the stream, just count hiccups in it.
    > That would probably need to be a custom piece of software reusing
    > existing Firewire drivers and some MPEG2 decoding software.

    It's far easier to record it then use MPEG2Repair or a similar tool to
    count the errors.

    --
    Jeff Rife | Al Gore: To my left, you'll recognize
    | Gary Gygax, inventor of Dungeons &
    | Dragons.
    | Gary Gygax: Greetings it's a...
    | [rolls dice]
    | Gary Gygax: ...pleasure to meet you.
    | -- "Futurama"

HDTV Hardware Video Software Home Theatre