How to install the Microsoft Update program?

romboc

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Hello,
Windows Update works fine. After installing Office 2007, I tried to change to Microsoft Update. After the license agreement, a brief message about the ActiveX controls flashes, and then the message
[Error number: 0x80070002]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
appears.
I cannot get past this.
Please note that this is on a Vista Home Premium system, and none of the provided options have led to a solution
so far. This happens with both Internet Explorer 8 as well as with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.
The same occurs when trying to update the Windows Update Agent.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

romboc

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Thanks for your answer.
This is exactly where I run into the problem described.
When I click on the link "Find out more" in "Get updates for other Microsoft products" , I get the
"Try Microsoft Update today" screen. I click on "Start Now", then "Continue" on the "Review the license agreement.
Then the "Checking whether you have the...." screen disappears to be replaced by: "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view." None of the suggested self-help options lead to anything useful for the problem.