Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Whats the best wireless adapter for a desktop?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 18, 2008 8:52:00 PM

I want wireless on my desktop but I don't know what to get. I want the newest "n" technology. And would it be better to go pci over usb? I'd think it be better to get pci or even pci-e over usb lol. price is not really an issue...but I would prefer to stay under $100. and I plan on using vista 64bit. prolly ultimate? idk, whatever is the best for games and most stable.

Thanks!
July 19, 2008 1:05:01 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#Protocols

Go with a PCI 802.11n card. It may be a good idea to buy the same make as the router. Not necessary though. Depending on where the pc is located, if it's a room or floor away from the router, pick up a directional antenna for $20-ish and point it at the router.
Anonymous
July 19, 2008 10:10:48 PM

PCI definitely, sensible advice to stick with same brand as router for compatibility (particularly with new non-standard standards) and for consisent terminology to avoid needless confusion.

If money is tight, cheap brands will work perfectly well. But for continuing support and firmware/driver updates best to stick with the big boys like Linksys, Netgear.
Related resources
July 26, 2009 3:18:01 PM

yeah but i have hade to linksys wmp54gs pci cards and allways have problems with getting the drivers to load and after about 10 times they finaly will set but all ways have a problem with lossing conection or low singnal but used a d-link and never had a problem since. thats just the problem i have had not to say every one will or has but there are alot of reviews online with same problem for linksys. hope this help some one
July 26, 2009 3:20:24 PM

oh and running window xp not sure how it will work on vista or windows 7 have not tryed linksys since i got d-link
March 5, 2011 5:10:34 PM

moomoopro said:
I want wireless on my desktop but I don't know what to get. I want the newest "n" technology. And would it be better to go pci over usb? I'd think it be better to get pci or even pci-e over usb lol. price is not really an issue...but I would prefer to stay under $100. and I plan on using vista 64bit. prolly ultimate? idk, whatever is the best for games and most stable.

Thanks!

March 31, 2011 3:44:27 AM

I have tried many many wifi adapters.....and I can say one thing for sure...
..I don't know about you guys, but for me UAWIFI UA3 usb adapter is the BEST.
No other adapter can compare to this baby, it is VERY powerful.
There are few people sell them on ebay, but I got mine directly from mft. website www.uawifi.com price is same.
I also know that it is Made in USA, so at least by buying it I am supporting US workers...not Chinese.
March 31, 2011 7:03:45 AM

Guys I am telling you- UAWIFI UA3 IS THE BEST!!!!!!!! tested it today for 600feet clear view....worked excellent!!!
April 1, 2011 5:56:54 AM

I wanna wanna wanna UA3, thanks for tHE info. as soon as I get it I will let you know how it preformes! :) 

Tomas
I love my DELL
April 1, 2011 6:15:24 PM

moomoopro said:

Thanks!

I have a related question - I have a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop running Windows 7, 64 bit. I want to install a PCI card for a USB wireless adapter, to link up with my Linksys WRT 110 RangePlus wireless router. Will a Netgear WG311 802.11G WIRELESS PCI CARD 54MBPS work in my istallation? The reason I ask is that the Netgear says that it is compatible with Widows 2000 and XP, but doesn't mention Windows 7.
April 4, 2011 5:34:49 AM

Wireless adapters offers a good connectivity and they far more better then the USB. Netgear WN311B and Encore ENLWI-N they both are good at their performance and are also reasonable.
April 6, 2011 9:07:25 PM

seriously, if anyone actually buys a UAWIFI adapter based on these random internet comments they should probably die

uafon = uafon on ebay = seller of uawifi ua3s

stop spamming the internet with useless crap and let your product stand on its own merits
April 7, 2011 6:07:40 AM

I agree :hello:  with "Anton", UAWIFI UA3 is a very good adapter for long range. With g-sky (ralink N chipset) I get only 2 bars (distance appx. 450ft.) but with UA3 I get 4-5full bars, plus I didnt have to make any holes to mount it outside, I just attached to metal strip plate on the side of the roof using magnets on the bottom of the adapter.

Lee M.
Anonymous
July 14, 2011 10:22:21 PM

I also need a wireless adapter.

I've a router from sitecom 300 n, so which adapter should I buy? Probably from the same company for e.g. from sitecom or choose a better one like D-link or netgear or linksys?

thanks in advance.
July 30, 2011 3:37:58 AM

jruhnka said:
I have a related question - I have a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop running Windows 7, 64 bit. I want to install a PCI card for a USB wireless adapter, to link up with my Linksys WRT 110 RangePlus wireless router. Will a Netgear WG311 802.11G WIRELESS PCI CARD 54MBPS work in my istallation? The reason I ask is that the Netgear says that it is compatible with Widows 2000 and XP, but doesn't mention Windows 7.

I can only tell you that I bought a Netgear WG311 and I could not get it to work with 32 bit Windows 7 Professional no matter what I tried. I got the latest driver that stated it included Windows 7 support, would not install. I researched the problem and tried everything I found online, Vista driver, compatibilty mode, running as administrater, putting Windows 7 into test mode, nothing worked, I am currently researching to find a wireless pci adapter that will work with Windows 7. The Netgear WG311 that I bought new would not work after hours of researching and trying everthing I found and I repair computers for a living. I gave up on it and am looking for the best alternative. Either it will not work with Windows 7 or I got a bad one, but after my research I found that many people could not get this one to work on windows 7.
March 7, 2012 6:41:59 PM

u guys are all wrong go with a netgear n600 wireless usb card. it has upto 300mbps...and its only like 50 bucks at walmart! i can run youtube 1080p videos along with facebook, gmail and anything else...tested it many times!!! that is the one to go with trust me!! :D 
March 7, 2012 10:01:50 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!