Can you convert FAT 32 files to NFTS using Win98 SE?

--
Lavert Y Bryant
Powder Springs GA

No.

You need Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows 2003.

And it's NTFS. NT File System.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:VCCre.121511$J25.102448@bignews6.bellsouth.net,
Lavert <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> hunted and pecked:

Lavert <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> typed:

> Can you convert FAT 32 files to NFTS using Win98 SE?

That's "NTFS," not "NFTS." And there's no such thing as "FAT32
files." They are files on a FAT32 *drive* (or partition).

No you can't convert a FAT32 drive to NTFS using Windows 98. And
if you converted the drive elsewhere, you couldn't read them on a
Windows 98 system. Windows 98 has no support for NTFS.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Malke

Ken Blake wrote:

> In news:VCCre.121511$J25.102448@bignews6.bellsouth.net,
> Lavert <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> typed:
>
>> Can you convert FAT 32 files to NFTS using Win98 SE?
>

> That's "NTFS," not "NFTS." And there's no such thing as "FAT32
> files." They are files on a FAT32 *drive* (or partition).
>
> No you can't convert a FAT32 drive to NTFS using Windows 98. And
> if you converted the drive elsewhere, you couldn't read them on a
> Windows 98 system. Windows 98 has no support for NTFS.

Unless the OP is talking about using files she created in some program
on the Win98 machine on the XP box. A lot of users confuse converting a
drive with being able to read the files created in Word, for example.
Lavert, if you need more help with this please post back with exactly
what you are trying to do.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

In news:%23IHziaQcFHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Malke <invalid@not-real.com> typed:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> In news:VCCre.121511$J25.102448@bignews6.bellsouth.net,
>> Lavert <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> typed:
>>
>>> Can you convert FAT 32 files to NFTS using Win98 SE?
>>

>> That's "NTFS," not "NFTS." And there's no such thing as "FAT32
>> files." They are files on a FAT32 *drive* (or partition).
>>
>> No you can't convert a FAT32 drive to NTFS using Windows 98.
>> And
>> if you converted the drive elsewhere, you couldn't read them
>> on a
>> Windows 98 system. Windows 98 has no support for NTFS.
>>
> Unless the OP is talking about using files she created in some
> program
> on the Win98 machine on the XP box. A lot of users confuse
> converting
> a drive with being able to read the files created in Word, for
> example. Lavert, if you need more help with this please post
> back
> with exactly what you are trying to do.

Yes, I didn't think of that, and it's possible that the OP meant
something like that. I agree that clarification would be helpful.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Thanks to all who responded. I have two computers one with Win XP Home
Edition and the other Win98SE. I now know what I need to know. Thanks
again.

--
Lavert Y Bryant
Powder Springs GA

> No.
>
> You need Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows 2003.
>
> And it's NTFS. NT File System.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:VCCre.121511$J25.102448@bignews6.bellsouth.net,
> Lavert <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> hunted and pecked:
>> Can you convert FAT 32 files to NFTS using Win98 SE?
>>
>> --
>> Lavert Y Bryant
>> Powder Springs GA

Just because the drive on your 98 machine is formatted FAT32 and the XP
machine may be formatted NTFS, it doesn't mean that you can't transfer files
between the two machines.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ebEre.122080$J25.28374@bignews6.bellsouth.net,
Lavert <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks to all who responded. I have two computers one with Win XP Home
> Edition and the other Win98SE. I now know what I need to know. Thanks
> again.
>
> --
> Lavert Y Bryant
> Powder Springs GA

>> No.
>>
>> You need Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows 2003.
>>
>> And it's NTFS. NT File System.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:VCCre.121511$J25.102448@bignews6.bellsouth.net,
>> Lavert <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> Can you convert FAT 32 files to NFTS using Win98 SE?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Lavert Y Bryant
>>> Powder Springs GA

Ken:

Thanks for your reply. I want to get an I/O Magic 40GB USB micro drive for
backup. Was wondering if I could back up HD A (Win98SE) and HD B (Win XP
Home Edition) to the mentioned micro drive? Thanks in advance.

--
Lavert Y Bryant
Powder Springs GA

In news:FkJre.122764$J25.114422@bignews6.bellsouth.net,
Lavert <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> typed:

> Thanks for your reply. I want to get an I/O Magic 40GB USB
> micro
> drive for backup. Was wondering if I could back up HD A
> (Win98SE)
> and HD B (Win XP Home Edition) to the mentioned micro drive?
> Thanks
> in advance.

Sure. You can partition the drive with two partitions, one NTFS
and the other FAT32.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
>> Ken Blake wrote:
>>
>>> In news:VCCre.121511$J25.102448@bignews6.bellsouth.net,
>>> Lavert <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> typed:

>>> That's "NTFS," not "NFTS." And there's no such thing as
>>> "FAT32
>>> files." They are files on a FAT32 *drive* (or partition).
>>>
>>> No you can't convert a FAT32 drive to NTFS using Windows 98.
>>> And
>>> if you converted the drive elsewhere, you couldn't read them
>>> on a
>>> Windows 98 system. Windows 98 has no support for NTFS.
>>>
>> Unless the OP is talking about using files she created in some
>> program on the Win98 machine on the XP box. A lot of users
>> confuse
>> converting a drive with being able to read the files created
>> in
>> Word, for example. Lavert, if you need more help with this
>> please
>> post back with exactly what you are trying to do.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

no...Win98 doesn't use NTFS.

"Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Can you convert FAT 32 files to NFTS using Win98 SE?
>
> --
> Lavert Y Bryant
> Powder Springs GA

Correct...you can still copy files to cd or zip or floppy or usb drive and
copy them over to the other system; the removeable storeage devices aren't
limited by NTFS/FAT32 - they use a different file system.

NTFS/FAT32 is only a Hard disk file system format.

> Just because the drive on your 98 machine is formatted FAT32 and the XP
> machine may be formatted NTFS, it doesn't mean that you can't transfer
> files
> between the two machines.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:ebEre.122080$J25.28374@bignews6.bellsouth.net,
> Lavert <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> hunted and pecked:
>> Thanks to all who responded. I have two computers one with Win XP Home
>> Edition and the other Win98SE. I now know what I need to know. Thanks
>> again.
>>
>> --
>> Lavert Y Bryant
>> Powder Springs GA

>>> No.
>>>
>>> You need Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows 2003.
>>>
>>> And it's NTFS. NT File System.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:VCCre.121511$J25.102448@bignews6.bellsouth.net,
>>> Lavert <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> hunted and pecked:

The File system for 3½" floppies is FAT12.

File System and Floppy Disk Structures
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/fdd/formatFile-c.html

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:42b55666$0$31355$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au,
Andrew Murray <Noadmurray@SPAMiinet.net.au> hunted and pecked:

In news:eVOExiadFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> typed:

> The File system for 3½" floppies is FAT12.

Generally true, but let me make a minor addition, if I may:

Any disk under 16MB, whether a floppy (of any size) or a hard
drive, will be formatted as FAT12. So all standard floppies,
whether 3½" or 5¼", are FAT12.

But, although they aren't common these days, the LS120 and LS240
floppies (also called "superdisks") hold 120MB and 240MB
respectively, and they use FAT16, not FAT12.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> In
> Andrew Murray <Noadmurray@SPAMiinet.net.au> hunted and pecked:
>> Correct...you can still copy files to cd or zip or floppy or
>> usb
>> drive and copy them over to the other system; the removeable
>> storeage devices aren't limited by NTFS/FAT32 - they use a
>> different
>> file system.
>>
>> NTFS/FAT32 is only a Hard disk file system format.

>>> Just because the drive on your 98 machine is formatted FAT32
>>> and
>>> the XP machine may be formatted NTFS, it doesn't mean that
>>> you
>>> can't transfer files
>>> between the two machines.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:ebEre.122080$J25.28374@bignews6.bellsouth.net,
>>> Lavert <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> hunted and pecked:

Gotch, Ken, should've used the word generally.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23uBKPxbdFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Ken Blake <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> hunted and pecked:

In news:ub3X3tndFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> typed:

> Gotch, Ken, should've used the word generally.

No problem, Wes, I just wanted to add a (minor, as I said)
clarification.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> In news:%23uBKPxbdFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Ken Blake <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> hunted and pecked:
>> In news:eVOExiadFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> typed:
>>
>>> The File system for 3½" floppies is FAT12.
>>

>> Generally true, but let me make a minor addition, if I may:
>>
>> Any disk under 16MB, whether a floppy (of any size) or a hard
>> drive, will be formatted as FAT12. So all standard floppies,
>> whether 3½" or 5¼", are FAT12.
>>
>> But, although they aren't common these days, the LS120 and
>> LS240
>> floppies (also called "superdisks") hold 120MB and 240MB
>> respectively, and they use FAT16, not FAT12.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>> In
>>> Andrew Murray <Noadmurray@SPAMiinet.net.au> hunted and
>>> pecked:

And I just want to add an a to Gotch. :-D

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%233JhzxodFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,

In news:edKnyIpdFHA.3324@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> typed:

> And I just want to add an a to Gotch. :-D

LOL!